Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'd suggest that you start by taking a walk through Inside Schools for some more-or-less objective reviews of different schools. Lots of good information there!
I agree very good site.

The only public school I can think of offhand is Bronx Science...but be careful though as many of the bad public schools were broken up into smaller schools and may have a "School of Math, Sci, & Eng" attached to the main HS or something to that effect. It may be easier just to send your child to catholic school. Typically they're a much cheaper alternative to tradition non-denominational private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by na27 View Post
Lehamn is a baddddd school, I work there.
Man...really, that sucks. Growing up in the BX...I always believed Lehman & Kennedy were the only decent public HS left in the BX. Unfortunately most of public high schools in the Bronx are cesspools.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,227 times
i am looking for a good middle school with an a rating and excellent control over the students, some
thing with uniform also. What middleschool does anyone recommend???

Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
High schools in the bronx and most city wide suck. The best public high school in the bronx is bronx science. I cant believe that im a product of the nyc public school system aftet looking back all these years.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Bronx High School of Science. That's all I can think of, although Riverdale has good private high schools.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 AM

39 posts, read 77,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf_colon View Post
I work at a middle school in the Bronx, and some of the better public high schools that fit your criteria are:

Dewitt Clinton High School
(apply for their Macy's program- excellent program for math/science)Good Luck and my advice- visit these schools so you can get a better sense if they have what you are looking for.
LOL. The macy's program IS a really good program and there are alot of extremely smart students in clinton but do not go to clinton unless you're ready to see some fireworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_E_Mike202 View Post
Evander Childs

EVEN BIGGER LOL.

Also, these posters are exaggerating with the claims of how "bad" lehman is. I went to Walton high school, and it was common knowledge among us and the rest of the hood school's students that lehman was a fruity soft "hood" school that tried to be as bad as others. Granted, they HAVE gotten worst in the last 2-3 years, even implementing metal detectors. However, it is far from some terrible school in comparison to the other average public highschools in the bronx. The kids are allowed outside during lunch, which is something thats rarely found in public highschools, and there is still a very large good student population.

Lol, trust me...the "gangsters" in lehman are far from being as bad as the other school's.

Kennedy is similar, its right next to riverdale yet it still gets populated with kids that try as hard as they can to make their school as "bad" as the others. But no one really takes it as seriously.

Now clinton, evander childs, walton, truman...see now we're talking.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
It has changed so much its hard to keep track of. A friend of my sis has a son who goes to a Mott Hall high school in the bronx. Its a new school but so far they have said good things about it. Small school. Small classroom size so they are really on top of the kids supposedly making sure they stay on track. Its a regular public not a charter. Mott hall is famous for their middle school in Harlem but over the years they have created other schools.

http://www.motthall.org/

Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
Talking Yes, Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
LOL. The macy's program IS a really good program and there are alot of extremely smart students in clinton but do not go to clinton unless you're ready to see some fireworks.

EVEN BIGGER LOL

Also, these posters are exaggerating with the claims of how "bad" lehman is. I went to Walton high school, and it was common knowledge among us and the rest of the hood school's students that lehman was a fruity soft "hood" school that tried to be as bad as others. Granted, they HAVE gotten worst in the last 2-3 years, even implementing metal detectors. However, it is far from some terrible school in comparison to the other average public highschools in the bronx. The kids are allowed outside during lunch, which is something thats rarely found in public highschools, and there is still a very large good student population.

Lol, trust me...the "gangsters" in lehman are far from being as bad as the other school's.

Kennedy is similar, its right next to riverdale yet it still gets populated with kids that try as hard as they can to make their school as "bad" as the others. But no one really takes it as seriously.

Now clinton, evander childs, walton, truman...see now we're talking.

All those schools used to be good, about 40 years ago...

Anyway, the Bronx HS of Science is your best bet for a public school option.

But let me put this bug in your ear. A very good HS called All Hallows Institute on 164th and River Ave right next to the Grand Concourse is rated among the top 50 Catholic High Schools in the nation. It's an all boys school, with uniform requirements, and is richly sponsored. They don't shove catholicism down your throat, there are many there who are Protestant or profess no spirtual identification.

It is 95% minority student population--but it gets great results because the kids have a structured, secure and nuturing environment that insists on high academic standards. If money is an issue (and for many it is) there are many scholarships and reduced fees available. Approximately 93% of the graduates go to college. I would explore this option, it may be a good fit.

Anyway, good luck!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
While Bronx High School of Science typically gets all the ink as far as the best public HS in the Bronx, there is another specialized high school there too, the HS for American Studies. It is, however, also a specialized high school that students need to pass the test for. It is small and intimate, down the street from Bronx Sci and across from Lehman College. And unlike Bronx Sci, it is far more racially diverse and the students there -- so I'm told -- are actually more interested in what they learn in high school rather than the intense one upsmanship at Bronx Sci about where they're going to college

The thing is, however, I've heard that the school is very good in the sciences, even with its focus on history. Because the school is small and can't offer the courses that Bronx Sci does, high-level science and math students can take courses at Lehman, if they;ve exhausted the regular and AP math and science curriculum at the high school.

And while the OP was looking for public schools, I want to out a bug in his/her ear too about one very good private school that often goes overlooked, which is Fordham Prep. The Jesuit education there is solid, and you don't need to be Catholic to attend. The JesuitsBut it is don't push Catholicism down your throat if you're not. College admissions are very good. They offer some financial aid, but it is more expensive than most other Catholic high schools. And its all boys. I've been very impressed by the ones that I know who graduated from there.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
"It is 95% minority student population"

Bronx Sci is also minority-majority. In fact, every top tier High School in the city is, Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech. The minority being asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: