Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM

90 posts, read 423,167 times

Advertisements

I'll echo what DAS just said, but rephrase it to be a little more blunt. Basically, in the summer you're going to get a whole lot of people sitting on the stoops of buildings, playing chess/checkers/dominos or whatever on the sidewalks, and generally milling about. They will be out there starting at about 7 and lasting until 10, 11 or later on weekends. If you're white, you might get a few curious looks for the first few weeks you're there (I felt like I did when I moved to central Harlem, but that could just as much be my initial uncomfortability with having people sitting in front of my building all the time.)

It increases the noise level but probably decreases safety problems, as DAS said. If I remember that 122nd St. block, I don't think it's particularly crazy there. On 116th near the B,C subway stop, the nighttime activity level was a little too high for my comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
^Yes this true. I went with a friend to an open house right on the block on Manhattan Ave, she was seriously thinking about taking the place. We saw the apt on a Sunday afternoon, it was nice warm sunny spring day, it seemed really quiet around there. She asked me to go with back with her in the evening on another day. I was amazed at the difference. She decided not to take the apt.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,166 times
To the OP. Go there late night on the weekend. Whoever is out on the street then, multiply that by ten and that is what it will be like in the summer. It will not be a safe as the UES but maybe it will be ok for you. Or maybe not. Only you can make the call. Good luck with it.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
^Yes this true. I went with a friend to an open house right on the block on Manhattan Ave, she was seriously thinking about taking the place. We saw the apt on a Sunday afternoon, it was nice warm sunny spring day, it seemed really quiet around there. She asked me to go with back with her in the evening on another day. I was amazed at the difference. She decided not to take the apt.

I didnt think this area was that bad, we are talking about just east of morningside park around 122nd right??

I have not been there very late at night though, what was so different that your friend decided not to stay?

And the advice from onthegrain about the summer is so true, places are totally different in the summer, I used to dread the summer months b/c of all of the losers standing around everywhere doing nothing more than saying stupid Mod cut: language, but you learn to just block it out

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-24-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I didnt think this area was that bad, we are talking about just east of morningside park around 122nd right??

I have not been there very late at night though, what was so different that your friend decided not to stay?
The difference was that when we saw the apt the area was quiet. No one was hanging around outside. Just a few people walking around. It seemed really nice with all the brownstones. The apt was in a brownstone.

When we returned on another day at night. There were alot of people out, they lived mostly in the apt buildings but sat on the steps of the brownstones hanging out talking whatever. There were so many people just sitting on the steps of mostly all the brownstones and out in front of the apt buildings.

It wasn't that it was dangerous or felt that way. Everyone seemed to know each other. It was more that it was loud. My friend preferred a quieter, less crowded area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City