Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:15 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,810,083 times

Advertisements

Surveillance Camera Effect on Crime Debated (http://crime.suite101.com/article.cfm/surveillance_camera_effect_on_crime_debated - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 AM

294 posts, read 838,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
they do not deter hardened criminals.
This may be true but that goes beyond cameras. If a hardened criminal is despret and has tunnel vision, then you can put a police officer in the room and they will STILL try to steal something. They keep their eyes on the prize and zone out the rest. It was caught on camera in some show called "stupid criminals". The police officer was behind the perp waiting in line when he trys to steal the register and some ciggarettes. Of coarse the officer arrested him but goes to show how blind and bold criminals can be if they are despret.

Only the truely stupid are bold enough to commit a crime in front of a camera. Think about it. And if its not enough to deter them, then I guarantee you its enough to catch them and lock them up. Thanks to cameras.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,201,274 times
Just to add, a building right around where I live added a camera recently. It seems to have curtailed a lot of the loitering in front of the building. But it's too early and too cold to tell. I'll keep an eye out for when the weather warms up and report back.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Just to add, a building right around where I live added a camera recently. It seems to have curtailed a lot of the loitering in front of the building. But it's too early and too cold to tell. I'll keep an eye out for when the weather warms up and report back.
Hopefully it works but unfortunatly the way these civil liberty laws are, if someone is hangout on the sidewalk in front of a building they don't live in, police can't tell them nothing because THEY say that the sidewalk is a "public" place for anyone.

Yet to show another unfair law against landlords, not only can us landlords not tell a person to leave and to stop hangout in front of the landlord's sidewalk but landlords are OBLIGATED to keep it clean, remove ice and snow from the sidewalk. If someone slips and gets hurt because the landlord didnt remove the snow/ice, he can get sued by the person. Hmmmmm

Personally I don't mind keeping the sidewalks clean and free of any snow and ice but if I'm treating the sidewalk as part of my own property by maintaining it then at least give me the power or some leavage to kick out anyone who is hanging out in front on my building's sidewalk. All that hanging out reflects bad on the building and neighborhood. How unfair is that?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,344,300 times
I will be adding cameras to the front of my building with internet access so I can monitor what is happening in and around my building 24/7 from anywhere in the world. It will also have a DVR system that records everything so if something does occur it is all recorded. BetterBronx...if you have people loitering in front of your building just call the police and tell them there are people loitering in front of your building and you believe they are doing illicit activities (just make something up). It is anonymous and the cops come VERY QUICKLY....you will be surprised how quickly these people stop loitering in front of your building. On occassion I will have random people sit and "chill" on my stoops, and instead of confronting them, I merely whip out the broom and start sweeping the steps, they of course move. If they choose not to move I bring out the mop and bucket of water to make sure the stoops are wet so they won't be sitting on them again. Just some helpful strategies.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I will be adding cameras to the front of my building with internet access so I can monitor what is happening in and around my building 24/7 from anywhere in the world. It will also have a DVR system that records everything so if something does occur it is all recorded. BetterBronx...if you have people loitering in front of your building just call the police and tell them there are people loitering in front of your building and you believe they are doing illicit activities (just make something up). It is anonymous and the cops come VERY QUICKLY....you will be surprised how quickly these people stop loitering in front of your building. On occassion I will have random people sit and "chill" on my stoops, and instead of confronting them, I merely whip out the broom and start sweeping the steps, they of course move. If they choose not to move I bring out the mop and bucket of water to make sure the stoops are wet so they won't be sitting on them again. Just some helpful strategies.
'

Good idea Sobro. The hang out happens more often during the summer. None during the winter. Even though the hanging out situation isn't that bad in front of my building, it bothers me when it does happen as it puts out a negative image that my building harbors ghetto people whch in reality, I only have 1 person that can be described as acting and being ghetto. Everyone else are hard working, well dressed, professional people.

I have a total of 16 cameras in my building that were installed a year ago. It has a 500gb DVR hard drive that records a week worth of video footage before it records over itself. It is also connected to the internet so I can be anywhere in the world with internet access and view my building to make sure everything is in tip top shape. I love it. Plus it gives me peace of mind!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:44 PM

Thats exactly what I am getting but on a MUCH smaller scale, a 4 camera system. It should be pretty cool!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Thats exactly what I am getting but on a MUCH smaller scale, a 4 camera system. It should be pretty cool!
To me, 4 is too little and creates alot of blind spots. Is your building big? If so and depending on the layout of your lobby, have 1 camera looking directly where people would stand if they were ringing somebody's bell. If you have a courtyard, have one there. Also on the stairways going to the roof. Put 2 cameras in front of the building looking at your sidewalk. One looking east and one looking west. Put one in your garbage room or garbage room entrance. That way you can catch which tenants leave garbage bags on the floor if they forget their access key and you can also find out which tenants are NOT recycling as the city will fine the landlord if they see recyclables mixed with regular garbage.

I have a clause in my lease that fines any tenants $50 that either leaves garbage bags in the sidewalk, hallways, in front of their apartment door and also $50 fine for tenants who fail to recycle. Thats how strict I am with my tenants. I don't play around. From day one you have to condition them that this is the way its gonna be or else. If you don't enforce these rules, they will step all over you. After awhile the cameras pay for themselves. ITS A GREAT INVESTMENT.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:39 PM

657 posts, read 1,630,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
This may be true but that goes beyond cameras. If a hardened criminal is despret and has tunnel vision, then you can put a police officer in the room and they will STILL try to steal something. They keep their eyes on the prize and zone out the rest. It was caught on camera in some show called "stupid criminals". The police officer was behind the perp waiting in line when he trys to steal the register and some ciggarettes. Of coarse the officer arrested him but goes to show how blind and bold criminals can be if they are despret.

Only the truely stupid are bold enough to commit a crime in front of a camera. Think about it. And if its not enough to deter them, then I guarantee you its enough to catch them and lock them up. Thanks to cameras.
Lol definitely will get locked up. But, I wouldn't say that they're stupid (not ALL of them anyway). It's just that alot of criminals don't have anything to lose (or they feel that way) so they won't let the fact that a bank has cameras or a house that has Slomon Shield stop them from doing what they do. THOSE are what I mean by hardened criminals. But regardless, I just don't want to go down that path in a day and age where anybody in the political, business or financial sector can get away with anything. Who would we trust with all this power? Who would watch the people that we trust with the power? I'm sorry, I won't feel comfortable.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Bronx I am not a big time LL like you, I am just a regular dude with a 3 family home, and I rent out the other 2 units. 4 cams is plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City