Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 PM

556 posts, read 1,441,373 times

Advertisements

If Crystal ever hits here hard( I kno its already popular amongst some), then it would get crazy quick.

What is so hard to understand how amazing the impact of crack was? I mean i lived in Long Island, but it was bad there as well. Only drug i know that makes someone break into your house, then proceed to fall asleep on your couch. Ive seen that firsthand and heard it more than a few times.

Want to know if there alot of crack in an area? Stand on the street, and see how many people try to sell you household appliances. I only had that once here, but i always say to my girl how bad it was/must of been back from 86-94.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM

479 posts, read 1,438,892 times
The question is, why did so many people stop using crack? What change this?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:42 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
They saw what it did to people and the city did a great job educating kids at the time.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
Yeah there was nothing "cool" about it..being on crack, being a crack baby, or having a crack family was not cool, fun, or enviable, the way smoking weed with the homies is/was, or getting coked up at clubs, etc.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 PM

674 posts, read 1,808,049 times
If only the crack epidemic was replaced by the weed epidemic we would be a much safer people and a much lazier people but safer none the less lol

But all jokes aside crack is wack wanna get high and relax smoke some weed

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM

33,392 posts, read 46,804,398 times
a lot had to do with the RICO laws as well....back in the day it wasnt just your average hustler on the block selling crack like that....in the 80s you had whole crews selling crack, like supreme team and fat cat in queens controlling entire blocks, and projects. there's no gangs of weed sellers like how it was with crack. once these big gangs started getting busted, that contributed a lot to it as well. also for the early 90's there was the sepulveda brothers from washington heights who sold cocaine, they had a big gang too.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

423 posts, read 1,276,430 times
Yeah, and they had to fight for their turf. I didn't really understand all that, but my dad told me of his stories firsthand. 1988-1993 (two of my uncles used to deal)

Our block in Sunset Park (46th between 5th and 6th) had one of the biggest crack spots in the neighborhood, and he told me their boss and his people would tell them to go hit up the other people in the area. They had cars available with guns, bats and knives and they would drive by where they knew they were selling and either do a drive-by or stab the people. He said they would go with a good amount of people. He said this happened VERY often. Especially on summer nights. (He says he remembers 1991 being the year where it happened the most)

He also once told me of a HUGE brawl in the Lower East Side near the projects between Blacks and Hispanics in 1989.

He told me people used to literally line up outside of the buildings to buy crack. He said sometimes the crackheads would try to exchange whatever they could for a vial. Watches, necklaces, etc. (Which explains my uncles huge amount of jewelry) And when Police would pass by they would yell "WIPE OUT" and everyone would leave.

Seems like some very wild years.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
Andez unless you were there it is hard to really understand. I would be walking to school in the morning and step on crack viles all over the places, people would be wandering about in a crack daze for 3 days straight, and women would be dragging around 3 kids begging for money to buy crack. It was crazy and it was only when I got older that I understood that my experiences were not a normal part of life or growing up.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM

730 posts, read 2,047,893 times
In the Bronx in the early 90s, it still dealt with the after-effects of the crack epidemic. I still passed through abandoned lots when I was a kid back then.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,843,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post

There are a lot of reasons...I guess it couldn't have gotten any worse, right? It only had to get better. It had to get better eventually.

Good song about the crack epidemic. I like to hope that this played a positive impact on the kids/teenagers then who listened to him

YouTube - GRANDMASTER FLASH,WHITE LINES DON,T DO IT

Pound for pound costs more than gold
The longer you stay, the more you pay
My white lines go a long way
Either up your nose or through your vein
With nothing to gain except killin’ your brain

What a classic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City