U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM

656 posts, read 1,579,754 times

Advertisements

Wow, people are quick to complain about the problems, but reluctant to discuss the solutions. Interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,265,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post

Try explaining to them when you ask "Excuse me sir or maam, how are you doing today? *response* I'm fine. So are you new in this building? *response* Oh because I've never saw you. My name is *Henna*, and I live on the (?) floor. I usually try to ask when I see new faces because I want to look out for the safety of ALL residents in the building (etc).

I'm not saying everyone will like it even after a different approach, but I believe most will and you will just be known as the "lady who always ask if you live here" and people will get used to it. Let me know what happens.
Darned! It's a cold day outside and both Henna and I are trying to rush in out of the cold. Enough already with that long interrogation list! Go ahead and ask me if I live there, Henna, don't give me a whole laundry list of questions like justfarr is suggesting.

Too bad if anyone is carrying a chip. If they live in the building, they'll see you ask anyone you don't know the same simple question, "Hi, do you live here?" If answer is yes, you'll both commiserate on the unfortunate need in these days to ask these questions, you'll share a laugh , and enjoy the elevator ride.

If the asked party grumbles, none of the above will happen, but at least if they live there, you'll feel safe for finding out!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Darned! It's a cold day outside and both Henna and I are trying to rush in out of the cold. Enough already with that long interrogation list! Go ahead and ask me if I live there, Henna, don't give me a whole laundry list of questions like justfarr is suggesting.

Too bad if anyone is carrying a chip. If they live in the building, they'll see you ask anyone you don't know the same simple question, "Hi, do you live here?" If answer is yes, you'll both commiserate on the unfortunate need in these days to ask these questions, you'll share a laugh , and enjoy the elevator ride.

If the asked party grumbles, none of the above will happen, but at least if they live there, you'll feel safe for finding out!
I was raised to be very polite to people if you want that same result back. There is nonthing wrong with how I said it as opposed to "Hey YOU! Do you live here?" But whatever, I'm just offering my advice. Take it or leave it as it's not my situation.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I was raised to be very polite to people if you want that same result back. There is nonthing wrong with how I said it as opposed to "Hey YOU! Do you live here?" But whatever, I'm just offering my advice. Take it or leave it as it's not my situation.
Kudos to how you were raised. And kudos to my parents too for raising me the same way.

Now, regarding your quote, please re-read my post and show me where you are accurately quoting me. If you read you will see that my inquiry would be "Hi, do you live here?" NOT "Hey YOU, do you live here? " Your misquote does indeed sound uncivil and changes the tone of my question to the person entering the building.

I'm surprised at you, justfarr. I've noticed that in several of your threads you sometimes mischaracterize others' posts or change the parameters midstream.

Now, as you are a potential police officer, I'd like to have confidence that if you ever arrest me, say, because a security street camera in the Bronx caught me publicly intoxicated, that you would properly and accurately record my confession.

Now that's one way to improve our crime situation - me confessing and you not falsifying my statements!!!

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 01-28-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Kudos to how you were raised. And kudos to my parents too for raising me the same way.

Now, regarding your quote, please re-read my post and show me where you are accurately quoting me. If you read you will see that my inquiry would be "Hi, do you live here?" NOT "Hey YOU, do you live here? " Your misquote does indeed sound uncivil and changes the tone of my question to the person entering the building.

I'm surprised at you, justfarr. I've noticed that in several of your threads you sometimes mischaracterize others' posts or change the parameters midstream.

Now, as you are a potential police officer, I'd like to have confidence that if you ever arrest me, say, because a security street camera in the Bronx caught me publicly intoxicated, that you would properly and accurately record my confession.

Now that's one way to improve our crime situation - me confessing and you not falsifying my statements!!!
Definitely not trying to come off like that.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Definitely not trying to come off like that.
On a positive note, I do like the topics you start. They do deal with serious pressing issues of the day that are affecting us all as New Yorkers - crime, privacy rights, gentrification, displacement of those who can ill afford to pay exorbitant housing costs, issues affecting Harlem, Brooklyn, and the list goes on.

You also show empathy for those who due to unfortunate circumstances end up on the wrong side of the law. It's heartening to know that as a potential police officer, you aren't a callous person who shows contempt for those who may have committed misdemeanors or petty offences. And as in this thread, you are seeking to identify not only the problems - but how to solve them.

I'm sure that this particular thread will generate lots of thought on steps we can all take to improve even further on our crime stats.

Now that I've shown the positive contributions you've made, nothwithstanding my other reservations on some issues, I'd better stop lest someone try to run you for Mayor and ask me to be your p/r man. I would hate being in politics, no matter how good the candidate.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
On a positive note, I do like the topics you start. They do deal with serious pressing issues of the day that are affecting us all as New Yorkers - crime, privacy rights, gentrification, displacement of those who can ill afford to pay exorbitant housing costs, issues affecting Harlem, Brooklyn, and the list goes on.

You also show empathy for those who due to unfortunate circumstances end up on the wrong side of the law. It's heartening to know that as a potential police officer, you aren't a callous person who shows contempt for those who may have committed misdemeanors or petty offences. And as in this thread, you are seeking to identify not only the problems - but how to solve them.

I'm sure that this particular thread will generate lots of thought on steps we can all take to improve even further on our crime stats.

Now that I've shown the positive contributions you've made, nothwithstanding my other reservations on some issues, I'd better stop lest someone try to run you for Mayor and ask me to be your p/r man. I would hate being in politics, no matter how good the candidate.
Appreciate it, but I don't think I have the patience for politics. I have given it thought however, we will see.

*marks this thread down to check 20 years from now*

Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 PM

For conversation purposes, has anyone ever thought of the legalizing drugs aspect?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 PM

294 posts, read 812,927 times
Quote:
For conversation purposes, has anyone ever thought of the legalizing drugs aspect?
Are you kidding me? Now I know you have a screw loose. You are way too liberal for my taste.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 24,355,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
Are you kidding me? Now I know you have a screw loose. You are way too liberal for my taste.
He might be a libertarian. Libertarians are not necessarily liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: