Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM

327 posts, read 881,921 times

Advertisements

is the concept as big in other cities like chicago, dallas, la, etc? im a foreigner and didn't expect it to be as huge here (usa) but am starting to think it's just a manhattan thing..i've been to nj and not much brunch going on there..it's like a sport here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
It's the same in any walkable, urban neighborhood, particularly if there's a large gay population: Uptown in Minneapolis, Capital Hill in Seattle, The Castro in San Francisco, etc. All of these places model themselves after the ultimate brunch neighborhood: Greenwich Village.

And it's not just Manhattan: Park Slope, DUMBO, and Williamsburg have a large and active brunch culture. One could argue that this is largely what makes these neighborhoods so expensive. People will pay a premium for a neighborhood where they can pick up a Sunday paper on the corner and then walk a block to a great brunch place. It's practically the definition of bohemian/creative-class urbanity. When an area has a bunch of trendy brunch places, it's well and truly gentrified.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
I am often amazed at things I read here as de rigueur for NYers. I have been here 40+ years, and I could count on two hands the number of times I have been to "brunch," and every single one of those times was because we had visitors. Unless you count Esssa Bagel as brunch, then I have been to brunch hundreds of times.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
This topic is making me hungry!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I can't believe that people will actually wait in line for brunch. I won't wait for any restaurant, for any meal. I mean, I know everybody does it, but I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I can't believe that people will actually wait in line for brunch. I won't wait for any restaurant, for any meal. I mean, I know everybody does it, but I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.
If you know where to go you don't have to wait. Besides, that's what the paper's for ...

Brunch is supposed to be leisurely, that's why it's especially popular with young singles and gay men. It's not as easy with children, but still doable. Ideally it should be part of a relaxing, lazy-Sunday-afternoon-in-the-city routine, which can include going for a walk, hanging out in the park, browsing a bookstore, seeing a matinee, etc. The point is enjoying what the neighborhood has to offer. It's one of the best things about living in New York. Yes, you can do it elsewhere, but not on such a scale or with such variety.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I think we're technically hermits, anyway. The last few years we lived in NYC we just did Vietnamese delivered to our apt. every friday night. I think my husband would have cried if I suggested going out for brunch on Sunday.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 PM

327 posts, read 881,921 times
it has gone to the point where brunchtimes are set the previous tues night...i was never a brunch guy despite growing up in the uk but it is INSANE here...forget the "it" nightspot 1oakd, b-bar, butter..it's nonstop talk about eatery, essex, 5 points etc this sunday?? yah? you gonna show, yah , yah? achingly annoying but luckily i love food, at least a quarter of my friends, and eating outside when it gets warmer

Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Aside from compulsory family brunches that have more intrigues than the Tudor court, and/or when a guest specifically requests going to brunch, I steer clear of the concept. I don't like the crowds, and most places have only a few things that I can eat, so there's no incentive from my point of view, but I can understand why people like brunch.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Brunch is more of an UES and UWS crowd thing. You gotta remember, NYC is heavily European influenced in these sections of the City and they like to live like their counterparts in London and Paris. Relaxing and having a nice breakfast at an upscale cafe with a newspaper, coffee and friends is a regular part of life in these cosmopolitan world capitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City