Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 74,943 times

Advertisements

I am 22 yr old female graduating college this May and planning to move to NYC by August or later this year (depending on whether I am able to find a job).

I've been doing a lot of research about areas to live. I really want to stay in the Manhattan area. Also, since I know that finding an apartment for under $1000 is impossible, I am looking to move in with 2-3 roommates in these following areas:
1.) Upper East Side
2.) Upper West Side
3.) Midtown
4.) Morningside Heights
5.) Midtown West

I'm moving by myself to NYC and need a lot of advice on where to live and stay and I've narrowed my choices down to those 5. I've looked on Craigslist for apartments that are looking for another roommate already but I'm not familiar at all with some of the posts on there because I don't know exactly where their apartments are located (in terms of safeness; they've listed street names).

I need advice (i.e. pros and cons ) about each of those 5 areas. Please include streets/areas to avoid or suggestions on where to stay in terms of streets/areas (e.g. avoid 90s).

I'm looking for an area that is family like with a mix of diversity (in terms of ethnicity) and avoid areas with a lot of goths/drug dealers/weirdos.

What other sources can I use (i.e. websites) to find roommates in those 5 areas listed above? My max budget is $900/mo sharing with roommates.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,153 times
$900 a month will be difficult in any of those neighborhoods, even with 3 roommates. Morningside Heights may be possible. But you may also need to go further uptown or the other boroughs with that budget.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,090 times
Morningside Heights and north like Washington Heights, Harlem are you only options for that budget in Manhattan

one the bright side, the rooms tend to be large, and the amenities are cheaper (like a slice of pizza is cheaper up there than downtown)

Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,472 times
Move to Astoria, Queens. It's diverse, safe, plenty of single young female professionals, family oriented, more amenities than most Manhattan neighborhoods and only 15 minutes from Trump Tower on 5th Avenue. You don't have to live in Manhattan to experience New York. If you're out late at night just take a cab from Midtown and pay $20 and you can be at your apartment in Astoria in 10 minutes. Plus, for $900 a month you can have your own nice little studio! Why risk staying with people you don't know if it's your first time moving to the city? You can't trust random strangers in New York, the mix of people here is too large to take a gamble on living with people you *think* are nice. Try to get something in a 2 or 3 family house where they rent out a floor to you, and you'll be safe. It's mostly older Italians that own the split level homes here and they will always be watching out for you and their property - it's much better and safer than living in a big apartment building where you don't know who is going in and out or watching you. As a young female you'll feel very safe here plus the N and W are pretty much always packed with professionals, young people and students. It's never unsafe because that line only goes through nice neighborhoods, plus it's closer to midtown and downtown than upper manhattan and the northern parts of the UWS or UES.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Move to Astoria, Queens. It's diverse, safe, plenty of single young female professionals, family oriented, more amenities than most Manhattan neighborhoods and only 15 minutes from Trump Tower on 5th Avenue. You don't have to live in Manhattan to experience New York. If you're out late at night just take a cab from Midtown and pay $20 and you can be at your apartment in Astoria in 10 minutes. Plus, for $900 a month you can have your own nice little studio! Why risk staying with people you don't know if it's your first time moving to the city? You can't trust random strangers in New York, the mix of people here is too large to take a gamble on living with people you *think* are nice. Try to get something in a 2 or 3 family house where they rent out a floor to you, and you'll be safe. It's mostly older Italians that own the split level homes here and they will always be watching out for you and their property - it's much better and safer than living in a big apartment building where you don't know who is going in and out or watching you. As a young female you'll feel very safe here plus the N and W are pretty much always packed with professionals, young people and students. It's never unsafe because that line only goes through nice neighborhoods, plus it's closer to midtown and downtown than upper manhattan and the northern parts of the UWS or UES.
That's a good suggestion. I think people who are moving here aren't really clear on how easy it is to get around on the subways, so moving to an outer borough sounds like it's going to be remote. But it's not!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:21 PM

So long as we're giving specific suggestions of outer borough areas, I'll throw in that Brooklyn is a great place to be in your early/mid-20s -- both Williamsburg/Greenpoint and South Brooklyn. I'm a couple of years out of school myself and live in Brooklyn, as do the vast majority of people that I know in NYC around the same age. There's a social scene of its own out here.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM

Also, I'll disagree with this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Plus, for $900 a month you can have your own nice little studio! Why risk staying with people you don't know if it's your first time moving to the city? You can't trust random strangers in New York, the mix of people here is too large to take a gamble on living with people you *think* are nice.
.. on a couple of points.

First, roommate situations on Craigslist tend to be surprisingly reliable and the people you meet are generally pretty normal. I've had a few experiences doing this that have ranged from merely okay to superb. It's actually been quite reassuring, in terms of my views of people in general, that most of the random folks you meet are pretty nice.

Secondly, can you really still get a studio in Astoria for $900? Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds a bit cheap... I'd think $1000-1100.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatch View Post
I am 22 yr old female graduating college this May and planning to move to NYC by August or later this year (depending on whether I am able to find a job).

I've been doing a lot of research about areas to live. I really want to stay in the Manhattan area. Also, since I know that finding an apartment for under $1000 is impossible, I am looking to move in with 2-3 roommates in these following areas:
1.) Upper East Side
2.) Upper West Side
3.) Midtown
4.) Morningside Heights
5.) Midtown West

I'm moving by myself to NYC and need a lot of advice on where to live and stay and I've narrowed my choices down to those 5. I've looked on Craigslist for apartments that are looking for another roommate already but I'm not familiar at all with some of the posts on there because I don't know exactly where their apartments are located (in terms of safeness; they've listed street names).

I need advice (i.e. pros and cons ) about each of those 5 areas. Please include streets/areas to avoid or suggestions on where to stay in terms of streets/areas (e.g. avoid 90s).

I'm looking for an area that is family like with a mix of diversity (in terms of ethnicity) and avoid areas with a lot of goths/drug dealers/weirdos.

What other sources can I use (i.e. websites) to find roommates in those 5 areas listed above? My max budget is $900/mo sharing with roommates.

Thanks!
What size apartment are you and the other 2 roommates seeking?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 74,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
What size apartment are you and the other 2 roommates seeking?
Like I said in the beginning, I'm looking for roommates who already have an apartment and need a 2nd or a 3rd roommate (i.e. me). As long as I have my own room where I can store my stuff, I really don't care the size of the apartment except that it should include a kitchen and a bathroom. Maybe around 700 - 1200 sp ft?

I also want to know what other sites/sources I should use to look for roommates besides Craigslist.
Thanks.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM

142 posts, read 505,030 times
Echoing: Can you really get a $900 studio in Astoria?

Frequently, when I answer craigslist ads for apartments for $1000 or under - and I'm talking in Brooklyn or Queens - they turn out to be scams.

Which makes me think: Be careful of scams! The newest one seems to be that the rent seems miraculously low (and here I'm talking $900, $1000) and the advertiser writes you back that they are already out of the country but will be able to take care of everything long-distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City