Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM

807 posts, read 2,257,954 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting over Presidents Day weekend from Seattle. I'm wondering if there are any travel-friendly NYC specialty foods that you guys would suggest stocking up on and bringing home. I'm only using a carry-on bag so I guess any sauces, etc. are out of the question.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Bagels.

Other than that, everything else NYC is known for food wise you have to eat here, like Pizza for example.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,956 times
Hmm.... If you like Middle Eastern food, try Kalustyan's on Lexington in the 20s (is it Lex?). They have really fresh spices etc. People always like to visit Dean and Deluca's on Broadway near Prince. They have all kinds of fancy foods. I personally like Fairway on Broadway and 79th. Or you can go to Zabar's a couple of blocks up and check out what they have. Barney Greengrass is a nice New York-y restaurant.

It's all about the shopping....

Have fun!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:59 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
I once took a cheese cake from Vaniero's (my favorite) to Minneapolis (Venieros Italian Bakery :: NYC East Village Pastry Shop Buy Cookie Tray Biscotti Cheese Cake and more). Unfortunately the flight was diverted to Cleveland overnight and it spoiled.

Another classic, only-from-New-York treat would be lox from Russ and Daughters (Russ and Daughters).

However, both are perishable. H&H bagels are also a classic, but they will likely be stale by time you eat them.

You might go with Jacques Torres Chocolate (Jacques Torres Chocolate). Chocolate is much easier to travel with.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
If you want decent bagels, get them from Tal Bagels. Those are like the bagels that everyone made 50 years ago. H&H bagels are AWFUL. They're SWEET!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:56 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If you want decent bagels, get them from Tal Bagels. Those are like the bagels that everyone made 50 years ago. H&H bagels are AWFUL. They're SWEET!!!!
I agree H&H while good are a little overrated.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,954 times
I'm sure I can get some bagels over. Its only a 6 hour flight back. If I dont like them, I can run down the street here to the "New York Bagel Deli" and eat the whole bag in front of their window.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
I would suggest black & whites or linzer tarts as they are quintessential NYC treats. They make them other places, but they're not the same. Zabar's has a good selection of baked goods, but some of the best are going to be a trek way off the beaten tourist path.

William Greenberg Jr. also has a great selection of sweet treats. They're on Madison between 82nd & 83rd. Their black and whites are very good as are many of their other desserts.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,073 times
If you like different type of cuisines, I would suggest going to some of New York's ethnic enclaves to pick up specific spices. For example, I go to Chinatown to pick up real hot mustard (do not like the prepared ones that you get from take out chinese restaurants) and other spices that are specific to what I know as chinese food. When I want to cook Italian, I tend to go to Italian areas to pick up my cheeses, sauces etc. You may be able to find this stuff in other places but it feels more authentic when I get it from an area that specializes in the food and not a mass market place. Happy shopping.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,957 times
I was feeling the same way about spices I was going to say get some curry powder so that you can make some curry chicken, beef, or shrimp. That way you can always have a curry dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City