Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM

85 posts, read 333,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think the OP could help change our outlook by changing his username to "FinanceGuy." Unemployed is a heavy title to carry for the rest of your City-Data lifetime.
Thank you all for your inspiration and the wonderful advice. This is exactly the famous NY sunny outlook I was looking for . I will change my username from "UnemployedFinanceGuy" to "FinanceGuy" or something similar as soon as figure out how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedFinanceGuy View Post
Thank you all for your inspiration and the wonderful advice. This is exactly the famous NY sunny outlook I was looking for . I will change my username from "UnemployedFinanceGuy" to "FinanceGuy" or something similar as soon as figure out how to do it.
Go to the About the Forum section, since I think that's where I saw something about how to do that. I think that you need to contact Administrator, but perhaps a Moderator might know more about that.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Yes you dont want to be a rebel and create different screen names..take it from me...they will chase you down and make you pay. But I am glad we can help..don't believe the hype..the world is not coming to an end (I don't think it is at least).

Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes you dont want to be a rebel and create different screen names..take it from me...they will chase you down and make you pay.
And no one knows that better than sobroguy.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

85 posts, read 333,725 times
Quote:
Yes you dont want to be a rebel and create different screen names..take it from me...they will chase you down and make you pay. But I am glad we can help..don't believe the hype..the world is not coming to an end (I don't think it is at least).
I just DMed the Administrator. Will wait to see what happens. Amazing what community support can do. My mood has lightened up in spades.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedFinanceGuy View Post
Amazing what community support can do. My mood has lightened up in spades.
I'm glad we did that for you, Finance Guy (see, I've already dropped the "Unemployed" for you!). It's amazing, that while we here can lighten up your mood as a newbie, my spirit as a regular is dampened by the sometimes vitriolic sentiments expressed on some threads!

Well that's life..you win some, you lose some.

Good luck not only in the name change but in having parallel succes in doing so in the outside world!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
I am convinced that this recession is a media-fueled self-fulfilling prophecy.

What started out in the late summer/early fall as a real estate problem was blown out into a deeper and wider crisis of confidence by fear mongering by the media and government.

True, real estate values were due for a correction and the sellers of flimsy financial instruments were due to fail, but this does not mean that every sector of the economy should have been affected.

Everyone is now gripped with fear. Consumers have closed their wallets and healthy companies have instituted hiring freezes and abandoned expansion plans due to this fear, which creates a vicious cycle of economic downturn.

Compare the real estate crash of 2008 to the tech crash of 2000, which also wiped out hundreds of billions in wealth and caused massive unemployment within one sector, but did not lead to a deep recession. In a bizarre twist, I think this because in late 2001 media attention shifted to terrorism and not the economy, which was left alone to pursue its own course.

One bit of good news is that most of the corporate earnings that came out this week exceeded expectations, mostly because expectations have become so low. Now, people need to realize that it isn't as bad as the news media would have you believe. Once this starts to happen, we may turn the corner.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:14 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I am convinced that this recession is a media-fueled self-fulfilling prophecy.

What started out in the late summer/early fall as a real estate problem was blown out into a deeper and wider crisis of confidence by fear mongering by the media and government.

True, real estate values were due for a correction and the sellers of flimsy financial instruments were due to fail, but this does not mean that every sector of the economy should have been affected.

Everyone is now gripped with fear. Consumers have closed their wallets and healthy companies have instituted hiring freezes and abandoned expansion plans due to this fear, which creates a vicious cycle of economic downturn.

Compare the real estate crash of 2008 to the tech crash of 2000, which also wiped out hundreds of billions in wealth and caused massive unemployment within one sector, but did not lead to a deep recession. In a bizarre twist, I think this because in late 2001 media attention shifted to terrorism and not the economy, which was left alone to pursue its own course.

One bit of good news is that most of the corporate earnings that came out this week exceeded expectations, mostly because expectations have become so low. Now, people need to realize that it isn't as bad as the news media would have you believe. Once this starts to happen, we may turn the corner.
I hope you truly are right. I felt that way that these things go in cycles but now I don't know anymore.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 PM

I understand that optimism is indeed a good charcacteristic for us as individuals and collectively as a city, state, nation. However, we cannot let unbridled optimism cloud us from reality.

All the stats point to an economic crisis unlike which many of us have ever seen in our lifetimes. Too often we feel good and secure if we can only shoot the messenger and decry some nebulous apparatus out there for bringing a perceived misery on us all.

One wishes that such a characterization were accurate for then our demise would be short-lived and we could all bounce back merrily to our former grand style of living. I personally do not believe that this is a media-orchestrated scenario only to go away shortly.

The causes are more fundamental and all-encompassing. An insidious, sometimes maniacal, infusion of uninhibited greed, extravagance, superfluous attitudes in spending as if there were no tomorrows, silently swept over us these past two decades, and especially in this new millenium. These characteristics pervaded industry, government, and citizens alike.

Now via a domino effect even sacred institutions and individuals who did not directly participate are caught up in the penalty phase. Yes indeed, no one can ever question whether we are our brothers' keepers again, for we are, as unwittingly as that role has been thrust on us all.

Now, is this a doomsday secenario from which we shall never recover? Absolutely not. There will be further bloodshed, more bankruptcies, layoffs, turmoil in the financial markets. But guess what? We will rise once more and take our rightful place in the world economy, people will be back to work, many after some retraining, companies will be back, maybe with some retooling, governments will fulfil their role as overseer that we expect of them, 401k's will grow again, homes will be affordable after much needed correction.

There's a fresh breeze blowing across the corridors and hallways in Washington, D.C. If we move forward in a bipartisan way, that breeze will reach every corner of America and when the bottom has been hit, we will bounce back with such ferocity that the world will once again have faith and confidence in America.

That faith and confidence must start with us first - but it must be cognizant that to rebound, we must first find a true bottom or we will merely be making false starts then sliding back to find that point from which the direction can be only upward.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 01-30-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
There is alot of talk about Doom and Gloom....but you should take everything with a grain of salt. The job of the newspapers is to sell papers...and guess what sells right now? It's doom and gloom, last year it was the escapades of A-Rod and Britney, the year before was the "Neverending" Boom in NYC and Housing, etc. Just relax, and STOP reading the papers, you will feel alot better and suddenly realize things are not nearly as bad as they said. When I go to restaurants, they are still busy, when I go to shop there are people there shopping, when I go on a plane there are plenty going on vacation...life continues..don't believe the negative hype.

its was all hype to me as i heard the news or read a paper , that is until something strikes home to you...we were pretty well insulated from this mess at work until yesterday when pay cuts were announced for all of us .... guess i cant say the headlines are all hype anymore ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City