Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times

Advertisements

Silly mistake on my part... I have heard it a lot, actually, and did not think of it in regards to his post until you reminded me. I was excited because maybe there was an enclave of Spaniards in NYC of which I was not aware! Thanks for cluing me in on these NYC-isms

New terms I have learned since living here:
"Bodega" (as used in English)
"On line" (as opposed to in line)
"Street meat" (burgers, hot dogs, shwarma from a street cart)
"Spanish" (used for "Hispanic")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Silly mistake on my part... I have heard it a lot, actually, and did not think of it in regards to his post until you reminded me. I was excited because maybe there was an enclave of Spaniards in NYC of which I was not aware! Thanks for cluing me in on these NYC-isms

That's what we're here for, crisp...but you would be correct to use the proper terminology. After all, people shoud still be aware that the local vernacular or colloquialisms do not always measure up for accuracy beyond their local enclaves.

And you've clued us in on some of our errors and omissions in the past! It's all good to go..keep em rolling.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
That's what we're here for, crisp...but you would be correct to use the proper terminology. After all, people shoud still be aware that the local vernacular or colloquialisms do not always measure up for accuracy beyond their local enclaves.

And you've clued us in on some of our errors and omissions in the past! It's all good to go..keep em rolling.
........................:t ape: !!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
I think your idea would be communicated more clearly with words instead of with symbols...

Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I think your idea would be communicated more clearly with words instead of with symbols...

Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Maybe he ran out of words. His next post was all symbols too.

You know, a few months ago when he was a welder, we taught him how to add paragraph breaks to his posts so they would be more readable. But I think using only symbols is taking the lesson one step too far.

And regarding those bodegas, is it still a bodega if it's owned by a Lebanese or a Korean? Or does that automatically change it to a deli or a corner store?

Or did you guys already cover this? Thread is too long to read through .........

Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

You know, a few months ago when he was a welder, we taught him how to add paragraph breaks to his posts so they would be more readable. But I think using only symbols is taking the lesson one step too far.

And regarding those bodegas, is it still a bodega if it's owned by a Lebanese or a Korean? Or does that automatically change it to a deli or a corner store?

Or did you guys already cover this? Thread is too long to read through .........
When I was a what? ...........I build scaffolds for a living, never said I welded!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:25 AM

294 posts, read 839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Whats wrong with #5? Im Spanish and in the Bronx and Spanish Harlem (my hometown) its usually just old spanish people having a good time doing #5

Playing Dominos is not a problem BUT why on the DAMN STREET or SIDEWALK? Can't people be more CIVILIZED than that? Go to the proper venue. Go to the park or stay in your house and play.

1. It's an eye sore to look at. Looks like a bunch of UNEMPLOYEED bums that have nothing better to do than to block the sidewalk and attract attention to themselves by yelling "capicu". Very ghetto indeed. How are WE as a community going to change if we all stuff like this to fly? We need to raise our standards.

2. Are you that deprived of attention that you need to set up a table smack on the sidewalk so that EVERYONE walking by sees you?

3. It creates a bunch of drunk, rowdy people around the table to the point that it turn into a nusiance and a mini party/hangout. Which disturbs the peace in the community.

4. If setting up a Domino table on the sidewalk wasn't bad enough, why do you have to now blast your music or have any music at all next to the table and subject the residents to this behavior? Can't you be more discreet?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

I don't know the true answer, but people call them bodegas no matter who owns them in West Harlem. Sometimes when there is more than one on a block, they may say something like "get it from the A-rabs", meaning get that particular item from the one owned by the middle eastern people.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I don't know the true answer, but people call them bodegas no matter who owns them in West Harlem. Sometimes when there is more than one on a block, they may say something like "get it from the A-rabs", meaning get that particular item from the one owned by the middle eastern people.
This has been my experience on the UWS where I live. Originally, bodega referred to a type of grocery/convenience store owned mainly by Hispanic immigrants from the islands. Today, these stores are usually owned by Hispanics, Arabs, etc., but the term describes the type of store rather than th ethnicity of the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City