Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM

294 posts, read 837,219 times

Advertisements

[quote=Fred314X;7333643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post

And two thumbs up for your stand against vandalism!

Thank you Fred. Glad to see at least SOMEBODY appreciates my efforts and coarse of action.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-05-2009 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Personal Attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,481,631 times
Well, it's a good course of action to take. So would painting an X on the face of the graffitists, but something tells me that would be slightly more difficult to manage.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, it's a good course of action to take. So would painting an X on the face of the graffitists, but something tells me that would be slightly more difficult to manage.
Yeah...LOL. The desire is there but I have too much to lose to go that route...lol.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 AM

398 posts, read 1,328,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
They object because they are idiots that have nothing better to do than to vandalize someone else's property.

As a sign of disrespect to these clowns who like to tag up in my neighborhood, I walk around at night with black spray paint and "X" out all the tags in the neighborhood. You still see their tag name and what it says but to make them feel stupid and embrassed by their fellow friends, a nice big fat X over a tag name is the ULTIMATE insult for these youngsters.

So next time they walk by their tag, all they and their friends see is a big X over their tag. What a shot to the ego!!! I wish I was there to see their faces...LOL
Back in the day..you might get killed for crossing out someones tag. Because you dont know which are gang related and which aern't. At least in L.A. its still like that. I'm not sure how that works in NY,but I'm sure there are gang tags out there. I would not recommend your actions, but hey, its a free country.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,481,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Back in the day..you might get killed for crossing out someones tag. Because you dont know which are gang related and which aern't. At least in L.A. its still like that. I'm not sure how that works in NY,but I'm sure there are gang tags out there. I would not recommend your actions, but hey, its a free country.
So you think that graffitists should just have free rein to mark up whatever they want to?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM

398 posts, read 1,328,364 times
Naw you missed my point Fred. I'm definately not condoning vandalising other peoples property. Its just been known since the 80's, that crossing out other peoples turf marks could put you in a bad position that you dont need.Why not just paint over it, or have it removed instead of crossing it out. My younger cousin did this in CA. to some latino gangs tag, and they pretty much had him marked. You know what I mean. Luckily a mutual friend intervened, and that situation never occured. Like I said, I dont know how it goes on in every city. But in cities like L.A. and Chicago its a different story.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,317,187 times
Nobody cares about graffitti, what we care about is defacing public and private property, whether it be with spray paint, throwing bricks through windows, breaking the front doors etc. They all have the same thing in common...defacement of property. If the owner WANTS you to spray paint on his home...I dont have a problem with that. If NYC said tis great to spray paint on trains or any public place...I would not have a problem with that either. Its really a very simple concept...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,367,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Graffiti is art just like anything else (its illegal because the government doesnt want minorities to express themselves)
You've got to be kidding!!! Hey, I grew up in the Bronx in the 60's and 70's; 183rd and Washington Avenue to be exact. Even though there was some graffitti in our neighborhood, it was not something that most of us kids did to our block. I will admit, there were some nice "masterpieces" on the outside walls of P.S. 59. And, I succumbed to that stupid activity only once under peer pressure. But, most of us were too busy playing stickball, handball, baseball, or trying to make out with the neighborhood girls.

This whole POV about "gov't supression of minority expression" is lame and stupid. Grow up dude! When you do, tell me then if you wanna see graffitti on the walls of your building.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
I understand what you are saying. However, these tags in my neighborhood are not gang related. Its just some stupid kids that can't even Mod cut: languagedoing these acts out of boredum, peer pressure or ego motivated because they think they're Mod cut: language and want to feel superior by leaving their mark.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-07-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 PM

674 posts, read 1,808,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
You've got to be kidding!!! Hey, I grew up in the Bronx in the 60's and 70's; 183rd and Washington Avenue to be exact. Even though there was some graffitti in our neighborhood, it was not something that most of us kids did to our block. I will admit, there were some nice "masterpieces" on the outside walls of P.S. 59. And, I succumbed to that stupid activity only once under peer pressure. But, most of us were too busy playing stickball, handball, baseball, or trying to make out with the neighborhood girls.

This whole POV about "gov't supression of minority expression" is lame and stupid. Grow up dude! When you do, tell me then if you wanna see graffitti on the walls of your building.

I meant graffiti in a public place. I would say something to you but theres no point in argueing over the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: