U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:11 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,790,888 times

Advertisements

Any healthy sane young person moving to NY for the first time(especially w/o a car) will want to have some fun without worrying about a commute. They probably will not have much $$-unless someone is helping them out with that. Does anyone remember what it is to be young? They also should be able to have some freedom of movement without having to worry about getting home late. Having to get on a train just to go out to breakfast or to a bookstore or coffeehouse is a drag. Especially when you got home at 4:00 am the night before and are still slightly hungover. It is nice to be able to walk to things and just kick back and relax with a roomy, friend or stranger.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 12,597 times
Thank you all so much for you advice this really helps me think things through.
Does anyone have any advice on the tax side of things? If it is not going to make a very big difference, I would love to live in Brooklyn. From what I have seen, it is difficult to find an apartment in the city in my price range. I am budgeting around $1300 per month for rent for a one bedroom. I would prefer to live alone, but if need be I would get a room mate.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM

500 posts, read 2,801,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Oh by all means, get rid of the "I-can't-afford-it" mentality, and replace it with, "I have better ways to spend my money than on a rent in Manhattan" mentality. You couldn't pay me to live near Times Square. Rats, roaches, garbage, air pollution, noise pollution and you'll be right on the center of it all. Blow your nose, your mucus will be brown from inhaling the great Manhattan air. You'll never ever see any equity from the rent you've paid each month. Don't waste your money. Visit, earn some money, enjoy and then leave!
Another Manhattan- and city-hater but occasional visitor. We deal with their kind all the time. We entertain them and they insult us.

They love coming to our great city- they crowd it, make it look bad, leave their garbage and pollution and then go back to their bland suburb driving their super-polluting SUV's in their clogged highways saying "the city- I'd never live there!".

So much suburban hypocrisy in America... one day it'll explode.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 PM

12,168 posts, read 17,036,009 times
No Manhattan-ite I'm not a visitor, Born and lived in NYC for 28 years. My family settled in NY in the 1800's. All of my information is first hand. You do however entertain me with your views.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,957,252 times
$1,300! In Manhattan? Without a roommate? Oh dear, I don't even know where to begin with this one...

For $1,300 for a 1br you should consider looking into a place like Bay Ridge. Its about 45 minutes from the city by subway. I think you are going to need to change you standards somehow. Either by getting a roomate (or 3) or putting up with a studio which is probably smaller than the average American walk-in closet.

Wait but is this only for a summer job? If so look into the NYU summer housing program. They might be able to help you out. I know people from outside of the area whose companies set them up in the NYU dorms for the summer and they enjoyed it.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:39 PM

No this is not for a summer job. This is my first REAL job. I am not looking to live in the city. I am most interested in living in Brooklyn. From the research I have done, there are a lot of reasonably priced apartments (1 bedrooms) with in a reasonable commute.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:23 PM

12,168 posts, read 17,036,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceprincess View Post
No this is not for a summer job. This is my first REAL job. I am not looking to live in the city. I am most interested in living in Brooklyn. From the research I have done, there are a lot of reasonably priced apartments (1 bedrooms) with in a reasonable commute.
There is a very helpful website, bayridgetalk.com The folks over there will give you a good idea of life in Bay Ridge Brooklyn,

Old 03-16-2007, 01:32 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,957,252 times
What neighborhoods are you referring to? Remember that a lot of apartments that are billed as "Williamsburg," are not in very desirable areas.

You might want to consider looking into the "journal square" area of Jersey City, near the PATH station. That area is definitely doable on $1,300 a month.

Also what did you mean previously about taxes? I am hoping you did budget city taxes into your budget. People who live in NYC have to pay income tax for the city as well as for the state and the federal government. This results in probably the highest tax rate in the country (I can't think of a higher tax area off the top of my head).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceprincess View Post

Old 03-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Mead: Thanks for your help!
I am certainly budgeting for city, state and federal taxes. I am mostly wondering about the difference it makes if I choose not to live in NY. Should I choose to live in NJ, will my taxes be considerably lower. I know that I would still be responsible for paying city tax in NYC simply because I work there, and I can get a refund at the end of the year. Is this really worth it?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM

500 posts, read 2,801,823 times
Default Why Brooklyn?

I wouldn't get too obsessed about living in Brooklyn. In my opinion, it is overrated and overpriced, either full of annoying young white hipsters (Williamsburg) and parents (Park Slope) or ghetto thugs (Brownsville, Bushwick), Italian Mafia (Bensonhurst) or retired people (Bay Ridge, Brighton Beach). And, except for Brooklyn Heights, it is always way too far from everything.

Also, as Mead well says, these days they rent you an apartment in Williamsburg and you think you're cool, but you end living in Far-Far-East-Williamsburg, that is... Bushwick near East New York.

Plus the highest tax rate in the civilized world. Might as well live in Manhattan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City