Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Where did you get this stat from?
I forgot where I read it...but a study was done on Tiffany, Fox, and I believe Simpson Street in the late 1960s and it was found that residents had only a 1 in 20 chance in dying a "natural" death. Therefore, your stat seems probable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I agree 100%. NEVER ever do the cops come when its urgent. At least with my experiences.
Nope, they do it when it's convenient for them. A few Saturdays ago I had an appt. in E. Tremont in the morning and went over to Crotona Park after ...it was the day of that blizzard. Very few people in the park. Well, I am naturally drawn to swings, so naturally I went to the swing set. Now, all of a sudden I have this truck pull up to me (a Parks truck, no less, not a police car) and these two cops come flashing badges asking me my age and telling me they can arrest me for criminal whatever (I forget what word they used) and I said,"Well, I'll just leave". Ok, it may have been "technically" against playground rules but I am a very young looking female and barely harmful looking and they made it a point to make it known that even though it's a blizzard on a Saturday, their priority was to harass me. That adds to the long list. You REALLY have nothing better to do than threaten a young adult from the neighborhood who is peacefully swinging on a swing in peace with arrest and a nasty attitude? I'll bet you money it wouldn't have happened in a White, rich or middle class area!!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,935 times
Quote:
I've noticed this a little bit. In Pelham Parkway there's been an INFLUX of Eastern Europeans mainly Albanians and Russians (they've always been around the Pelham Parkway area but it seems be a bigger influx now) and I've noticed many Koreans residing in the Bedford/Kingsbridge area. Most of them I've met are immigrants. I've also noticed a lot of South Asians moving around Parkchester and Wakefield.

I'm glad this is happening, since everyone outside the Bronx thinks there's only Black and Puerto Rican people.

Lital, you are right. Eversince the 1960's when the white flight occured and until the present day, The stereotype image of the Bronx has always been mostly Blacks & Puerto Ricans residents. I'm glad for the change as well. It's way overdue plus alittle diversity doesn't hurt and actually makes the neighborhood nicer by balancing the racial scale.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,451 times
I have SO many horror stories about NYPD and their actions.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I have SO many horror stories about NYPD and their actions.
That's why we need a good guy like you in there to help set things right, justfarr. And you may end up in the Bronx patrolling the streets and keeping things safe for all - the gentrifiers and the longtime residents!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
That's why we need a good guy like you in there to help set things right, justfarr. And you may end up in the Bronx patrolling the streets and keeping things safe for all - the gentrifiers and the longtime residents!
And that's why I plan on joining, so I can be apart of the change. Appreciate the confidence by the way.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,016 times
Quote:
I've noticed this a little bit. In Pelham Parkway there's been an INFLUX of Eastern Europeans mainly Albanians and Russians (they've always been around the Pelham Parkway area but it seems be a bigger influx now) and I've noticed many Koreans residing in the Bedford/Kingsbridge area. Most of them I've met are immigrants. I've also noticed a lot of South Asians moving around Parkchester and Wakefield.

I'm glad this is happening, since everyone outside the Bronx thinks theirs only Black and Puerto Rican people.
I just have to ask, why are you just noticing these things now. Pelham parkway was always an Italian area. I knew one Puerto Rican family that moved in when the Italians started to move out, but with all due respect, they were very white looking, and he was a cop. He had a heavy Bronx, cop accent himself. The Albanians started moving in, in the 80's. This area was never a Black and Puerto Rican area.

The Koreans have also had a section of Bedford/Kingsbridge since the 80's also.

Why does everyone have such a need to reassure everyone that the Bronx is not only Black and Puerto Rican. It is not, it never was, and it will never be just a place for one or two groups. No boro in NYC is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City