U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,500 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm French, and I like a lot music, meet people and spend my vacation quarters where there's "real live", not in "tourists hostels".
So, I plan to book an appartment in South East Harlem (116e st / 2nd avenue) this summer (probably August).
I will be with my wife and my daughter (teenage).
What do you think about this idea ?
Is it an intresting quarter ?
Secure now ?
Is there groceries or supermarkets nearby ?
Have you good address for Gospel, Jazz, Salsa music / concerts ?
May we come back home by walking between 10-12 PM ? or it's really preferable to take a cab ?
Sorry for all these questions but I don't know NY.
Thanks a lot for your answers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,518,700 times
Thats right by the projects. I dont really know what your hoping to find. East Harlem (Spanish Harlem) is one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. But to answer your question there are supermarkets there, like everywhere else. You may feel out of place since spanish is spoken on the streets. You'll hear salsa on the streets, no need for concerts lol.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,500 times
Thanks for your reply.
What I hope to find ? to live during one week in an area which is not made of "luxe hotel" + museum + "fashion market"...
I like to share (if its really possible...) life of people like me that means not a lot of money, but who have a different way of life;
In france I heart a lot about "Harlem Renaissance" and for me (from my "small" french point of vue), Harlem is a real symbol (for politics, for music, for meltingpot,...)
But i'm not sure to have a realistic vision ?
And I want first to share good journey with my family (have an apprtment, go to the local groceries for buying foods, speak as possible with people, visit the town,...), but also to be safe as its possible (I'm with my wife and my daughter).
So if I understand your advice I have to change of distric and neighborhood.
Have you somewhere to advice me ?
Thanks
Ti

Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM

516 posts, read 1,389,282 times
There are different parts of Harlem, and East Harlem has not experienced much of a "renaissance," in largge measure because of large public housing facilities that tend to ward of gentrification.

You may be better off looking a bit further west of here, which also is more convenient to transportation. You also need to be careful about short term "apartment" rentals, particularly if you found them on Craig's List or similar sites, as there is a lot of scams out there offering foreigners entirely non-existent apartments to rent, or showing fake pictures of what is for rent. There are some other posts on here about these issues.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM

55 posts, read 265,060 times
I would recommend staying in Sugar Hill at The Sugar Hill Harlem Inn Bed and Breakfast. A Bed & Breakfast in Harlem, New York City - Sugar Hill Harlem Inn.com
The Sugar Hill area of Harlem is so rich with history and culture plus it's a fairly safe area.
I got married a year and a half ago at Riverside Church and didn't want to stay at a typical New York hotel. My father lived in Harlem over thirty years ago during his college days so so I started looking for places uptown because I thought it would be a nice experience for the family. The Bed and Breakfast is in an old brownstone. I stayed in the two bedroom suite with my bride's maids before the wedding - it was huge with a full kitchen, living room, etc. My parents and other family stayed in other parts of the brownstone - some are suites w/ kitchens, some are just standard rooms but they're all great. I even remember one had a nice deck. Breakfast is included in the rate. Either way, can't tell you enough how much we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Everyone who stayed there during my wedding still talks about how much they loved it to this day. Good luck planning your trip!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:30 PM

12,349 posts, read 23,388,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doerayme View Post
I would recommend staying in Sugar Hill at The Sugar Hill Harlem Inn Bed and Breakfast. A Bed & Breakfast in Harlem, New York City - Sugar Hill Harlem Inn.com
The Sugar Hill area of Harlem is so rich with history and culture plus it's a fairly safe area.
I got married a year and a half ago at Riverside Church and didn't want to stay at a typical New York hotel. My father lived in Harlem over thirty years ago during his college days so so I started looking for places uptown because I thought it would be a nice experience for the family. The Bed and Breakfast is in an old brownstone. I stayed in the two bedroom suite with my bride's maids before the wedding - it was huge with a full kitchen, living room, etc. My parents and other family stayed in other parts of the brownstone - some are suites w/ kitchens, some are just standard rooms but they're all great. I even remember one had a nice deck. Breakfast is included in the rate. Either way, can't tell you enough how much we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Everyone who stayed there during my wedding still talks about how much they loved it to this day. Good luck planning your trip!
That sounds like a good suggestion.

I agree with other posters that it's important to understand the distinction between East Harlem (Spanish Harlem) and Harlem (sometimes called West Harlem). It sounds like you are looking for Harlem and NOT East Harlem when you describe what your interests are.

Also agree with the warnings about finding apartments on craigslist. The easiest people to scam are the ones who are coming from overseas. Scammers can get them to send money in advance and then pull a disappearing act by the time they arrive.

However, if you are going to rent via craigslist or something similar --if you follow your instincts and make sure you speak with the person renting you the apartment on the phone and not just by email, you might be fine.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 PM

938 posts, read 3,808,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
There are different parts of Harlem, and East Harlem has not experienced much of a "renaissance," in largge measure because of large public housing facilities that tend to ward of gentrification.

You may be better off looking a bit further west of here, which also is more convenient to transportation. You also need to be careful about short term "apartment" rentals, particularly if you found them on Craig's List or similar sites, as there is a lot of scams out there offering foreigners entirely non-existent apartments to rent, or showing fake pictures of what is for rent. There are some other posts on here about these issues.
She's talking about The Harlem Renaissance :

Harlem Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM

12,349 posts, read 23,388,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
She's talking about The Harlem Renaissance :

Harlem Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
that's funny. I made almost the same exact post at the same moment on the "east harlem" thread.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 PM

93 posts, read 288,957 times
I work in East Harlem, and I would never venture there after 10 pm. Besides that, I love the Barrio, just during daylight hours, the people are friendly and the food is good.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,324,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpse View Post
Hello,
I'm French, and I like a lot music, meet people and spend my vacation quarters where there's "real live", not in "tourists hostels".
So, I plan to book an appartment in South East Harlem (116e st / 2nd avenue) this summer (probably August).
I will be with my wife and my daughter (teenage).
What do you think about this idea ?
Is it an intresting quarter ?
Secure now ?
Is there groceries or supermarkets nearby ?
Have you good address for Gospel, Jazz, Salsa music / concerts ?
May we come back home by walking between 10-12 PM ? or it's really preferable to take a cab ?
Sorry for all these questions but I don't know NY.
Thanks a lot for your answers
I would say thats a really bad area. You should look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: