Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times

Advertisements

This is the question. What further steps can we take here in the Big Apple (not just the police but also as citizens) to lower crime and improve overall safety. How can we help solve the issues that plague the poor inner city urban neighborhoods? Also, what is at the heart of this problem?

Thoughts, concerns?

Last edited by justfarr1030; 01-27-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM

294 posts, read 839,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
This is the question. What further steps can we take here in the Big Apple (not just the police but also as citizens) to lower crime and improve overall safety. How can we help solve the issues that plague the poor inner city urban neighborhoods? Also, what is at the heart of this problem?

Thoughts, concerns?

Put cameras in the hood to help convict criminals. Thats a start.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
Put cameras in the hood to help convict criminals. Thats a start.
Is that the only suggestion you have?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM

294 posts, read 839,386 times
Quote:
Is that the only suggestion you have?

LOL...no but I said it because I know how much you hate cameras.

But seriously, theres a combination of reasons why crime and poverty exist.

1. The way a person was brought up. Bad parents equals bad kids.

2. Lack of education

3. Bad influences

Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Well we can purchase firearms, learn to shoot like pros and take courses on the use of deadly force. I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for my views but when I was in central Florida I went to a gun range with a family member to do some target shooting. I was met by a large group of soccer moms who shot and cleaned their pistols as well as score their targets. I was seeing another part of America which I thought never existed. Can it work here in New York? Why not?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
This is going to sound ridiculous, but, hey, I'm going to say it anyway...

If more people acted like responsible citizens, there would be less crime. I'm not entirely sure that it's an issue of economic situation. I think it has more to do with plain, old fashioned behavior.

And I'm one of those people who holds to the slightly radical notion that crime deserves punishment--not loophole-seeking lawyers who find technicalities to help criminals avoid punishment. Put 'em away for a while and let 'em think about what they've done. If you knew for an absolute certainty that, say, mugging someone was going to land you in prison for five or six years (no parole, thank you very much) tell me the truth: would you still commit the crime?

Alternatively (he said, tongue partially in cheek), we could take our cue from Stac2007 and bring vigilante justice into play. Imagine the market this will create in a city the size of New York for a new line of T-shirts: "I SHOT THREE CRIMINALS TODAY."

Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM

We also can stop walking around with our cell phones stuck to our ears and watch what is going on around us. Rapist will often target women who are distracted due to chatting on their phones. So often people have no idea what is going on around them.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

If more people acted like responsible citizens, there would be less crime. I'm not entirely sure that it's an issue of economic situation. I think it has more to do with plain, old fashioned behavior.

And I'm one of those people who holds to the slightly radical notion that crime deserves punishment--not loophole-seeking lawyers who find technicalities to help criminals avoid punishment. Put 'em away for a while and let 'em think about what they've done. If you knew for an absolute certainty that, say, mugging someone was going to land you in prison for five or six years (no parole, thank you very much) tell me the truth: would you still commit the crime?

Alternatively (he said, tongue partially in cheek), we could take our cue from Stac2007 and bring vigilante justice into play. Imagine the market this will create in a city the size of New York for a new line of T-shirts: "I SHOT THREE CRIMINALS TODAY."
I am not advocating vigilantism but often rapist and robbers will kill their victims as a means of not getting caught. Whose life is more important, the victim or the criminal?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
...But seriously, theres a combination of reasons why crime and poverty exist.

1. The way a person was brought up. Bad parents equals bad kids.

2. Lack of education

3. Bad influences
Those are good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X

And I'm one of those people who holds to the slightly radical notion that crime deserves punishment--not loophole-seeking lawyers who find technicalities to help criminals avoid punishment. Put 'em away for a while and let 'em think about what they've done. If you knew for an absolute certainty that, say, mugging someone was going to land you in prison for five or six years (no parole, thank you very much) tell me the truth: would you still commit the crime?...
I understand what you're saying, however there is really nonthing else to logically explain it other than economics.

The prison system obviously is not working and the same failed strategies on crime and the "war on drugs" are being reiterated over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007
Well we can purchase firearms, learn to shoot like pros and take courses on the use of deadly force. I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for my views but when I was in central Florida I went to a gun range with a family member to do some target shooting. I was met by a large group of soccer moms who shot and cleaned their pistols as well as score their targets. I was seeing another part of America which I thought never existed. Can it work here in New York? Why not?
Don't be intimidated to express your views. I love to see creative thinking and that is what this is for. As far as your theory, I say what works in the woods, fields and the meadows does not necessarily apply when it comes to the concrete jungle, and vice versa. So here's the deal: Have your individual right to keep and bear arms. Hunt, shoot cans off the back fence, protect yourself out there in the middle of nowhere. If I lived there, that's what I'd do, too. But I don't live there, I live here. So, I have this question: What sort of responsibility are you going to undertake (and yes, ALL rights do come with responsibilities) to keep your own guns under proper control?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
So, I have this question: What sort of responsibility are you going to undertake (and yes, ALL rights do come with responsibilities) to keep your own guns under proper control?
Keep it locked and stored in a safe place when not carrying it like most folks do who legally own one. What else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City