Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

No, the city NEEDS teachers, cops, and fire fighters instead. That's where this money should be going towards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 AM

124 posts, read 383,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
Thank god! Yes, the Bronx is way overdue for construction projects like these. For decades, the Bronx has been the "FORGOTTEN BOROUGH", neglected by investors and developers.

Investors are now smartning up and realizing that the Bronx has alot of POTENTIAL in real estate APPRECIATION while other boroughs in the city have pretty much maxed out.

If this project does go through, I see a BIG positive change over the years in quality of life issues. The Bronx will FINALLY appear to look MORE DESIRABLE as oppose to runned down like its been for decades.

Perception is EVERYTHING. Perception is a great tool that can help convince more affluet people to move into the Bronx so we can FINALLY get some diversity in the Bronx instead of just having low income people take over the borough with no significant growth.

THE BRONX REALLY NEEDS THIS.
Ok 1. Have you read articles about community outreaches in the Bronx lately? The residents have decided that instead of letting big wigs build expensive condos they are gonna take initiative and clean up the streets themselves. There are alot of residentially driven graffiti clean ups in the Bronx and crime is going down. the Bronx doesn't need this project to help it if it continues the way it is now.

2. You speak of bringing Diversity there. Yes, there will be diversity for 2 years then diversity quickly turns into "maxed out" like you say the rest of NYC is.

3. I don't know your economic status but you do live in the Bronx and if you are a lower income resident or middle class resident then you are at a loss here. Do you wanna see family neighborhoods pick up or rich snobby ones?

4. You talk about low income people taking over the borough so there is no significant growth. Look at a picture of the south bronx in the 80's and a picture of the South Bronx now. How can you say there is no significant growth. Everybody wants instant gratification but these things take time. And the Bronx compared to other places is doing a great job of returning from its 80's and early 90's terror period. Look at Newark. Just now coming back from riots in the 60's!

5. This city needs some form of haven for lower income-middle class families. If you don't like living with them move to a neighborhood that is richer. Theres plenty of em in NYC!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:07 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I agree that we need teachers and municpal personnel to keep the city moving, not spending money frivilously on pet projects to hand keys to developers that are underwritten by municipal funds.

Plus, there are already affluent neighborhoods in The Bronx, and have been for decades, same with upper middle and solid middle class areas. They need to be shored up, and provide for housing for those who might be priced out of the city, since lower income workers are required to keep the city moving in many key functions. Where are they supposed to live? All the push to get rid of such workers will do is price labor at higher rates and lead to inflation in many key areas in NYC.

It's not going to be the "next SoHo," no matter the hype that is forecast. Plus, most people have no issue with people who are well educated and respectful of others, whether or not they are affluent or of less means. It's sad to judge people by their pocketbook, since that is no measure of the true worth of a person. Education is key, so we need to keep our teachers, and keep our public safety personnel (NYPD & FDNY & EMTs) to keep said students safe to/from/after school.

If the market can do it on its own, that's fine, but municpal underwriting, concessions, and funds should not be committed to the project.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Plus, there are already affluent neighborhoods in The Bronx, and have been for decades, same with upper middle and solid middle class areas. They need to be shored up, and provide for housing for those who might be priced out of the city, since lower income workers are required to keep the city moving in many key functions. Where are they supposed to live? All the push to get rid of such workers will do is price labor at higher rates and lead to inflation in many key areas in NYC.
very true. The Bronx has tons of safe neighborhoods. Its funny how no one thinks about Riverdale or Throggs Neck or other like that. Even thoughs who live in the Bronx.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Most people I know hear the Bronx and think "WOW, you work in the Bronx? That must be a tough job." Little do they know that there are some very nice, expensive places there. I tell them that back in the 70s and 80s, when the Bronx was at its worse, these few areas were spared and were still pretty nice. When people hear "the Bronx," they think of burned out buildings all over the borough, even today. It's kind of annoying.

Someone on the Florida board said they received free tickets to a Yankee game during their trip to NY. They said they didn't want to be mugged at the game. Please...gotta love these small town people I said to them, people still went to Yankee games in the 70s when the buildings in the area were burning; it didn't stop them. They need to get out more.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Most people I know hear the Bronx and think "WOW, you work in the Bronx? That must be a tough job." Little do they know that there are some very nice, expensive places there. I tell them that back in the 70s and 80s, when the Bronx was at its worse, these few areas were spared and were still pretty nice. When people hear "the Bronx," they think of burned out buildings all over the borough, even today. It's kind of annoying.

Someone on the Florida board said they received free tickets to a Yankee game during their trip to NY. They said they didn't want to be mugged at the game. Please...gotta love these small town people I said to them, people still went to Yankee games in the 70s when the buildings in the area were burning; it didn't stop them. They need to get out more.

Haha yes these small town mentalities kill me. Most of the people the bash the Bronx have never even been there! I love the Bronx, its got more personality then any other borough.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
Haha yes these small town mentalities kill me. Most of the people the bash the Bronx have never even been there! I love the Bronx, its got more personality then any other borough.
While my own favorite borough is Queens, I do agree with both of you that people often mis-characterize the entire Bronx. It's a decent borough with both upscale and not so alluring areas. I remember some good times on the Grand Concourse and I often hear from others that many decades ago that area was a vibrant part of town. Things sometimes change. Hopefully the Bronx will bounce back and have its rightful place among the other boroughs as a stellar place to work, live, enjoy oneself - and not just at a Yankees game! (For a really decent game, one needs to cross the East River, so we'll have to root for other good things in the Bronx!)

Old 02-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
While my own favorite borough is Queens, I do agree with both of you that people often mis-characterize the entire Bronx. It's a decent borough with both upscale and not so alluring areas. I remember some good times on the Grand Concourse and I often hear from others that many decades ago that area was a vibrant part of town. Things sometimes change. Hopefully the Bronx will bounce back and have its rightful place among the other boroughs as a stellar place to work, live, enjoy oneself - and not just at a Yankees game! (For a really decent game, one needs to cross the East River, so we'll have to root for other good things in the Bronx!)
It just goes to show that things are always changing. The South Bronx is not a war zone anymore and the Grand Concourse isn't as vibrant. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I was not alive during the time so I can't exactly say for a fact, but im guessing that the area around 3rd Ave and 149th st wasn't as vibrant in the 80's as it is today. Neighborhoods change you just need to make sure you have options for those in changing neighborhoods.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
It just goes to show that things are always changing. The South Bronx is not a war zone anymore and the Grand Concourse isn't as vibrant. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I was not alive during the time so I can't exactly say for a fact, but im guessing that the area around 3rd Ave and 149th st wasn't as vibrant in the 80's as it is today. Neighborhoods change you just need to make sure you have options for those in changing neighborhoods.
The Councourse declined substantially in the late 1960s and early 1970s, so by the 1980s it was a shell of its former self. I never knew the area when it was in its heyday, though I have been told of buildings that had doormen, porters, swans in a reflecting pond in a courtyard, and a whole host of luxurious features, from sunken living rooms, formal dining rooms, art deco tile and marble work, fireplaces, and even apartments that featured servants quarters (either in unit, or elsewhere in the building in servants' efficiencies). Some of the buildings had large, pre war apartments that were carved into smaller units, which helped to accelerate the decline of the buildings themselves and the neighborhoods along the boulevard, removing gracious living from any corridor in the vicinity so that the remaining holdouts had to flee as the neighborhood disintegrated.

The lower Councourse, where this proposed change is to take place, did not have the grand boulevard or top drawer buildings that were built furhter to the north. Tradionally, this was a light industrial zone, so it doesn't have many of the architectural features that would draw people to the area, though many of the formerly grand buildings have been so damaged in interveining years by bad planning, cheap renovations, etc. that many original details are lost.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
i havent been to the bronx since march '08....time to take a trip.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City