Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
So the city is practically broke, and they want to develop even more? There is little industry left here, and the backbone of New York, the middle class, is fleeing. New York is turning into a pre civil war plantation. Either you are a rich owner, or a trapped servant. There is little balance, and places like Houston are going to close the gap in economic production very quickly. These dynamics make for a horrible environment in every way possible, especially for the so called greatest city on earth.

More yuppy housing with a minimal percentage going to the lower classes. This is going to push out long term residents that stuck with the place when it was a hole in the 70s/80s/90s. To me this smells and sounds like the reincarnation of the soon to be failed Ratner plan in Brooklyn, except in this case the stadium is just about complete. We saw the lies with that and I am sure we will see lies around this. Just another yuppy scam. But let me ask you the million dollar question...how and why can we even utter building more housing when we have lost THOUSANDS OF JOBS???? Construction = temporary jobs, so here come the inflated statistics about permanent jobs. Increasing housing stock + decreasing jobs is the Miami housing bust. We should be bringing back industry (clean 2009 green type stuff at least) and giving them tax breaks to operate to diversify our economy as a hedge during bad times.

Lofts? Are you kiddin me? Aim for smart development. The whole city doesnt have to be a copy of soho!

I would like to see the Grand Concourse become what it was during its glory days. Housing affordable for the common man. Shops owned by local people. Not a poor man's soho/village with the vibrant psuedoculture that engulfs much of Manhattan.
I must say I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
7 years later and ain't sh** happen

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 AM

5,112 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
7 years later and ain't sh** happen
too much hyper.
like the ongoing talk about eny, bushwick, crownheights, etc.
do not underestimate the viability/power of the ghettos.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I must say I agree.
Gentrification of the Bronx is real slow. Its going to take a while for things to change, compared to the rapid changes we all saw in Harlem, Long Island City and in Brooklyn. The initial changes so far have started in or around 138 street corridor with those condos being built by the water front, and development being built on 138 and 3ave. Also that abandoned gas station is going to be bought very soon for a possible tower building. That school on 144th street has been condemned and grazed to the ground. The post office is getting revamped. A hotel is opening right behind that bulldozed public school. It looks like things are coming but still slowly. I think Real Estate brokers, and developers are still worried about investing in the Bronx. The big problem with the lower concourse is that lots of riff raff also lives there and can not be forced unless NYCHA sells buildings, Section 8 folks move to Staten Island or out of the city for good, or some sort of catastrophe on par with Hurricane Katrina.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:10 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Oh, NO!!!!!

Last affordable place in NYC! Rich yuppies go move to BROOKLYN.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Oh, NO!!!!!

Last affordable place in NYC! Rich yuppies go move to BROOKLYN.
This would have never happened if Greenwich, West Village, East Village, Lower East Side started to face the wrath of gentrification 3 decades ago which caused it to spill into Brooklyn and Lower Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City