Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 PM

99 posts, read 349,831 times

Advertisements

I went to the Doughnut Plant down on Grand Street today. Loved the doughnuts; was wondering where else makes good ones? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahona View Post
I went to the Doughnut Plant down on Grand Street today. Loved the doughnuts; was wondering where else makes good ones? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Some may scoff, but I've found the best donuts at Dunkin Donuts! Welcome to NY, Sahona, and hope that nanny job is doing well!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 PM

99 posts, read 349,831 times
Knew I could count on you for a reply Miles! All settled now- and immersing myself in the American culture of doughnuts!! Loving just about everything; though still getting used to the cold. (Not a problem though as I have to travel with my new employers to the Caribbean soon so will see some sun! Yay!)

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahona View Post
Knew I could count on you for a reply Miles! All settled now- and immersing myself in the American culture of doughnuts!! Loving just about everything; though still getting used to the cold. (Not a problem though as I have to travel with my new employers to the Caribbean soon so will see some sun! Yay!)
Donuts or doughnuts - depending on one's spelling preferences - are good to go in every way. If not taken to excess, there's nothing quite like an evening stroll in the spring or summer to a coffee or donut shop where one can sit beside a window, enjoy a lovely donut, sip some coffee or mint tea, and indulge in some people watching. One can also meet interesting people over coffee and donuts.

You're on the right track, Sahona, enjoying our donuts! I'm partial to an old-fashioned donut along with a Plantation Mint or Constant Comment tea. I also like my donuts served next to a window where I can sit and sometimes watch one of those beautiful English nannies pass by here on the UWS. One day I ran after one but was interecepted by her hubby.

Of course, like you, I've always been seeking that perfect donut, so I simply invited them both to join me and we proceeded to have a lengthy discussion on the art of making donuts, the various types of donuts, the varying tastes at downtown vs. uptown shops.

I tell ya, Sahona, volumes can be written on this topic. Enjoy that Dunkin Donut and take it from there to the more gourmet varieties.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM

824 posts, read 2,790,980 times
I paid $2.75 for a doughnut at Dean & Deluca. It was quite good.

I used to love Krispy Kreme. They've disappeared here in NYC except for one at Penn Station.

I love Dunkin Donuts as long as they are fresh.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
A couple of places that spring to mind:

Doughnut Plant - 379 Grand St - LES

Bouchon -TWC - 10 Columbus Circle - weekend doughnut production only, and $4.25 ea

A fresh Dunkin Donut is not bad in a pinch

There is a vendor at the Union Square Greenmarket who has an apple cider doughnut that's very good if you like that type.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
A couple of places that spring to mind:

Doughnut Plant - 379 Grand St - LES

Bouchon -TWC - 10 Columbus Circle - weekend doughnut production only, and $4.25 ea

A fresh Dunkin Donut is not bad in a pinch

There is a vendor at the Union Square Greenmarket who has an apple cider doughnut that's very good if you like that type.

Very good suggestions. I was being partially humorous when my response to Sahona concentrated on Dunkin Donuts exclusively. Obviously my suggestion was not well received as it signed off a few lady posters who are normally inclined to second my suggestions. I fear that my choice of donut venue unwittingly distanced me from the OP and others.

I do declare that there is, upon further soul searching, value in expending a few more dollars to secure a tastier and somewhat more healthful donut in one on the above referenced establishments,

My less lofty choice of Dunkin Donuts, unintendedly, exposed both my wallet and my laziness in walking a few extra blocks.

So Sahona, if you're still around, please reconsider my suggestions in light of better favorite donut spots around town.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 02-07-2009 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM

61 posts, read 152,755 times
the best doughnuts (aside from D Plant) are in Greenpoint, Brooklyn on manhatten Ave. in the 7-800's block odd #side. Can't recall the name right now.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railmomma View Post
the best doughnuts (aside from D Plant) are in Greenpoint, Brooklyn on manhatten Ave. in the 7-800's block odd #side. Can't recall the name right now.
I think that's Peter Pan, if I am not mistaken. I have heard about their offerings, yet have not made it out there.

For a 24 hour donut place, look to no other than Donut Pub on 14th & 7th Ave in Manhattan. It's an older, mom-and-pop place, but a fresh donut at 4am after ice skating at Chelsea Piers or a night of club hopping might not taste any better.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
It's really too bad Krispy Kreme doesn't make them fresh here anymore. I've heard they're amazing. The one in Penn station doesn't make them on the premises. I'm always looking for good donuts, besides Dunkin donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City