Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM

16 posts, read 42,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Morningside Heights is arguably its own neighborhood but if it is part of another neighborhood, it's Harlem not UWS.
I think culturally Morningside Heights has tons more in common these days with the UWS than with Harlem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJ27 View Post
Anywho, as for all the crime and mugging talk, I have never felt more in danger of my safety than walking on 8th ave in the 30's ... *shudder*
For a short time last summer I worked right near 8th and 35th and walking to the train up 8th at night was definitely a little unpleasant and uncomfortable. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The original inhabitants, you say? Something tells me you aren't talking about the Dutch (the very name tells you who founded it: the area was named for the Dutch city of Haarlem).
The Dutch named it, they didn't find it, Native Americans were already there.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
While we're on the topic of Harlem, here is a co-op opportunity in Central Harlem. 138th street between 5th and Lenox.

Beacon Towers LLC - Home

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamserge View Post
I think culturally Morningside Heights has tons more in common these days with the UWS than with Harlem.
Your opinion, but it's still Harlem. No ifs and buts about it. From Riverside Drive to 8th Avenue, 110th-125th, it's the Morningside Heights section of Harlem. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 AM

65 posts, read 260,001 times
Default Avalon - Morningside

So, does anyone live at or near the Avalon apartments in Morningside? Is it a safe walk to the subway? How is the neighborhood? I have been eyeing those apartments on their website and even called about prices. My question is whether it would be a good move for someone new to the city who will be working long hours in the Financial District.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
^ You will be fine.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 AM

283 posts, read 521,773 times
[quote=Ace Rock;7404526]Because they drank the Kool-Aid offered by developers and realtors and believed that $550,000 for a 1 bedroom in a building surrounded by methadone clinics is a great deal. And because Harlem needs a little diversity.

Harlem needs a little diversity? But most of lower Manhattan is whiter than rice and no one is screaming "SoHo needs diversity!" If anything, Harlem is one of the only real Manhattan options for non-whites.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM

28 posts, read 79,062 times
yesss, harlem is becoming a very nice investment, if not already. I know that riverside in the 130-s to 150s (although it is riverside and a different story but its still different from 10 years ago when i was there) went from rentals to buyers taking over and selling that stuff for HIGHHHHHHH MONEY and people are buying.
in the past ten years, i have seen it go from like 1 out of 30 non-harlem locals to like 1-10 non-harlem locals. I swear, there are so many kids and artists and musicians and just about any type of person here who wants to live in manhattan but doesnt want to pay the ridiculous money for a shoebox sized apartment.
and thats what they should be doing bc parts of harlem are becoming gentrified and will be very gentrified in the next decade, so now IS a good time to buy. although it depends what areas, like east harlem..........ooooooooo forget about it LOLOL

Old 08-08-2019, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 295 times
where are the cheap motels in harlem you know the ones that cost $50 for 4 hours

Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM

264 posts, read 136,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJ27 View Post
After visiting my grandmother who lives in Harlem near 125th st, and riding a bus for almost the entirety of the area, I notice more & more condo's being built. My question is, does anyone on here live in these condos and why? I often scratch my head at why someone would purchase an apartment (starting at $125k & up) on some of the most run down streets in the city. One example, my grandmother lives in a project apartment on a narrow street. Directly across the street is a new 3 story building (used to be an empty lot) that is surrounded on all sides and across the street from nothing... just abandoned buildings. All the owners would have to look at are the projects. Also, a lot of these buildings are nestled in between project buildings.

Now why would anyone want to spend that kind of money to be in a rundown area? I was told by a few people it's because some are so desperate to have a Manhattan address. I hope someone can shed some light for me and share their experience.
now, this comment was 10 years ago, and the man was wondering why would someone buy a condo there for 125k. fastfoward 10 years and the same condo is worth north of 500k today.
thats almost 50k increase in value per year!!!

some people have vision for the future, others dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City