Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,561 times

Advertisements

I know when I was living in Jersey, I had friends who used to say "I live in Paterson" Even though they lived in Prospect Park, Haledon, or Clifton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,217 times
When I was in Boston attending college many (many) years ago there were tons of people from NYC. Well where exactly? Oh, well 20 miles OUTSIDE of the city in Long Ilsand. OK, I see..

This happened countless times, so I guess it was cool to be from NYC even back in the late 80's.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,130 times
I didn't read the whole thread (just skimmed it), but I think the REAL ISSUE is alot deeper that what we are discussing (I admit, it is rather funny however).

In this day and age it's good to be bad and bad to be good. Instead of being proud that you live in a great, safe, friendly and virtually crime free neighborhood, people attempt to fabricate their lives and say that they're from the "roughest" or poorer part of town. It's very sad indeed that we have succumb to this mentality in our culture. By the way, this is NOT just a "ghetto thing" and for once the statistics CLEARLY proves this as it is just as common in white suburban enclaves (maybe even more so). ALL forms of popular culture reflect this ideaology everyday so can we really blame people (especially kids) for wanting to be from Brownsville, NY, Compton, CA and Detroit, MI, instead of Brick, NJ or Ithica, NY?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
Yeah, I would never purposely say I'm from a bad area. I don't see the sense in that. It's not like people will look up to you and be like "oooo, wow, you come from the south Bronx? how lucky, I wish I did too." lol

Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, I would never purposely say I'm from a bad area. I don't see the sense in that. It's not like people will look up to you and be like "oooo, wow, you come from the south Bronx? how lucky, I wish I did too." lol

Actually Rachael, you'd be surprised these days.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
Interesting...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Interesting...
I hate to say this next comment but being me, I have to keep it real.

I love hiphop. I have loved it since I first experienced it when I was a young kid and I haven't stopped loving it since. I always try to defend it when under attack from the media, government etc, but sometimes it's very hard. You have rappers telling kids that it's cool to drop out of school, smoke weed, sell drugs, get pregnant at an early age, commit genocide on each other etc. Then on the other hand it's bad to go to college, get a job (because if you do your "wack" right?), be faithful to a woman (god forbid that), I mean the list goes on.

In the defense of gangster rap, it's ALL forms of of popular culture today. I mean how many times do you see celebrities get away with commiting crimes and getting off with weak sentences? We're just in a phase I guess. It's cool to be the Joker. Nobody wants to be Batman anymore.

Last edited by justfarr1030; 02-11-2009 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no never but i do catch them lying bout lots of other stuff, esp "im from" posts.
the favorite lie seems to be paris, im from paris.
in my case i actually often go to paris even have dinner there somtimes on the weekends
(parris california)
Perris, CA is the name of the city in Riverside County, CA. Unless it's the tiny place that's part of Acton in the Antelope Valley known as Paris, CA. However, I don't think that's the one as it's a remote area and does not have many dining establishments.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Maybe it has to do with gaining respect from others because you have overcome some obstacle or rough circumstances in your early days. It's kind of like those people who are elective amputees and go outside the US to have one of their limbs removed because they feel that when they return that people will look at them with more respect for have overcome an obstacle in their life (they never admit it was elective surgery).

Yeah, so what I'm saying is that lying about being from the South Bronx is exactly like asking to get your arm chopped off.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,113 times
All the time. It's funny actually. I just love the ones who've stayed here for 3 months-1 year and swear that they've "lived" in NYC and really know it. But ask them if Fifth Avenue is the East or West Side of Manhattan and you'll get blank stares and crickets. Too funny.

And yes, unless you've lived in this town for 10+ years, I don't think you can say you're from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City