U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 88,087 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area. I've heard that the Jamaica LIRR area was dangerous. Is it? I just recently moved to Little Neck and I'm wondering if I could take the Q30 bus to Jamaica LIRR station.

I'd like to know your thoughts. Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 12:02 AM

500 posts, read 2,786,061 times
Dude, I don´t think so! I go there a lot to catch the AirTrain to JFK Airport and have never had any problems, whether late at night or early in the morning or whenever. It is a very busy commuter station for train, subway, bus and airtrain and it usually has security people. The opening of the new building -sleek and modern- should be further motive to make it all look good and safe.

Now, the area around the station is indeed gritty and seedy. Right across the LIRR is the Kalua Cabaret where Sean Bell was shot and killed by the police. You can see it from the AirTrain going to JFK.

You´re fine.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Gotcha. So I take it the transfer from the bus to the subway should be safe? It's weird, a lot of people that I speak to that are from Long Island always tell me "watch out, it's a rough area" when it comes to Jamaica.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:17 AM

137 posts, read 968,923 times
The area is ugly looking but the station is safe.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,486,339 times
The station, itself, is safe. I think the platforms are under pretty close video surveillance.

However, I would keep a sharp eye out after dark on Sutphin Blvd and environs. It's more than a little sleazy.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,023,466 times
The station itself is not dangerous, neither are the immediate areas surrounding it. There are a lot of cops, and LIRR employees around. I wouldn't venture around in Jamaica too far. Not the greatest neighborhood, but Jamaica Ave is okay and safe for the most part.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I have tremendous experience around Suftin Blvd and Archer. The police lock down the LIRR station but the area around there is a known prostitution/drug spot. Lots of crime around there and the buses bring in known herbs. You should be OK during normal business hours, but if you are a female/timid/teenager you might get robbed.

Frankly I don't know where you are going at what time but If you are going to the City during the normal commute times you may have your commute all wrong trying to go to Jamaica to Little Neck. The port wash branch of the LIRR runs right through Little Neck. You can take the Q79 on Little Neck Pkwy right to the Little Neck LIRR station. The Q30 from Little Neck to Jamaica takes about an hour, I have done that dozens of times only because I had to get to JFK. If I was going to the city I would get my butt on the Port Wash branch of the LIRR.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone!

samyn... I'd like to take the LIRR, but I have to ride it daily. Costs 100+ monthly just for the LIRR, not counting my metro card unlimited. I figure I need a metro card for the subway anywhoot, and I can use the same one for the bus.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,722,617 times
The station is fine but S.J. isn't the best place to be especially at night just use your street smarts and you'll be fine

Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 AM

38,813 posts, read 39,050,700 times
The station is safe and the area around during the day time is okay. But at night I think one should just stick to the station itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>