U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 26,433 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Astoria in a couple of weeks from Michigan. I am wondering what are the best Cable Internet options for me. I need something moderately fast (actual numbers I cannot provide at the moment) but from what i've seen it's the "second" package at a lot of places. The key thing though is that I don't want my internet usage capped. I work in film and there is a lot of data sent between myself and clients as video naturally can have high file sizes. Also without television service, which I don't wanna purchase, I plan to stream from Hulu and such which will eat up bandwidth as well.

So what are the best suggestions anyone might have and are there caps on those connections? I am not a bandwidth hog but I just don't want to come into a problem down the line if work get particularly large. Thank you all who contribute.

-- A00
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 PM

48 posts, read 145,862 times
Cablevision- no caps.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM

53 posts, read 192,713 times
Cablevision does not provide service to Astoria. Your only option for high speed is Roadrunner. At the moment, there are no download caps. There is a speed cap at about 10Mbps. I think if you pay a bit more, they have an extreme package which is faster. Your upload is limited to about 512K so if you plan on uploading huge amounts of data, do it at work where you have a faster connection or pay a few hundred a month and get access to fiber/ethernet connection in the city.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,350,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haner View Post
Cablevision does not provide service to Astoria. Your only option for high speed is Roadrunner.
RCN Cable states that they do the Astoria area as well and they offer high-speed internet. Don't know if they cap or not.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the help all of you.

In response about Roadrunner, I have been unsuccessful investigating the service at their website (TimeWarner). All links lead me to this one particular page where I have to submit an address and it doesn't see my future address in their database, and yes I chose New Customer. Thus I can't see their plans and such. Googling got me something like this, Road Runner Internet | Order Road Runner High Speed Internet online at RoadRunneroffers.com but I don't know how worthwhile or legit a site like that really is.

I just tried to investigate RCN Cable and they too cannot find a proper address. My future apartment has a hyphen in it (xx-xx) which I omitted and I still have no luck. Hmm.. I was able to go here, RCN New York City | High Speed Internet | Services & Pricing , and that $38.00 one sounds perfect for me. If only I could find out if I can get it. I guess I'll just have to call them.

Anyone else wanna vouch for RCN Cable? I went on Broadbandreports.com and saw some positive things but I'm always up for more stories.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM

53 posts, read 192,713 times
Ah yes, forgot about RCN. I haven't heard bad things about them... For RR, you went to: https://twnyc.convergentcare.com/twn...eOfBusiness=00 right? Anyway, I forgot that Earthlink also provides cable server but they just use the same lines as RR except they may be slightly cheaper if you do not plan on getting TV as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM

haner, yeah that's the link I was at. At both that link and the one for RCN, both wont accept my address as a legitimate address. I sent RCN a information inquiry about it so we'll see what they say.

I don't plan on getting tv service no and I've already got a cell phone. Cable internet is all I seek. My roommate has some wireless thing through verizon and it's a dongle for her laptop so she knows nothing about any of this, thus she's no help at the moment.

Hopefully RCN works out because they had a great price and I've heard nothing but good stuff about them.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,137,738 times
The thing with Cablevision and Time Warner is that their best deals are usually in those combined packages where you get all three services or at least two. If you get just internet, you might feel ripped off, but I dunno, depends how much your going to be using it and whether you feel your getting your moneys worth.

Also they give you this great package for a year or so, but once its over they jack up the prices on you. Which I think is a ridiculous policy. You penalize customers that have been with you longer? Cablevision offers you that panacea of optimum rewards, but the discount is not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City