Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,309,945 times

Advertisements

Some things just don't change in NYC, and the never ending police brutality continues as usual....decade after decade. "Officer David London beat his victim more than 20 times in August, striking even as the helpless man lay curled up in a fetal position, his hands cuffed behind his back, said Manhattan DA Robert Morgenthau. The incident was caught on security-camera tape." I guess we will be subjugated to this animalistic violence forever by those who are sworn to protect us. I recommend everyone carrying a video camera with you at all times, b/c you never know when you too will be victimized and beaten by a Cop. How does any court convict a criminal based on a Cop's testimony anymore? They have proven to lie consistently, and the department encourages it. Despite the videotape...he pleads not guilty...I can only imagine what Mod cut: languagestory the cop would be saying had their been no videotape. 'BEAT' COP: I'M INNOCENT - New York Post

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-13-2009 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
Yes, but if one has to be extra vigilant and cannot trust them in court, how can one trust the statistics so openly touted that are showing crime is down every other week? Surely these are the same officers who file reports who cannot be trusted in court now, aren't they? So, one has to decide whether or not to believe one extreme or the other. A few rotten apples should not be used to discredit the entire police force, the majority of whom do their jobs well in the public interest.

It's beyond illogical to continually bash the police force as being out of control and then rely upon their statistics as being above reproach, since it's one way or the other. Either it's a bunch of out of control hooligans with a badge who do what they want, or it's a dedicated force with a couple of bad apples. Even the best of organizations can have failings within their ranks, and the police force is not immune to that phenomenon, since it's a function of a large, complex system in place where mistakes sometimes occur.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

657 posts, read 1,628,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, but if one has to be extra vigilant and cannot trust them in court, how can one trust the statistics so openly touted that are showing crime is down every other week? Surely these are the same officers who file reports who cannot be trusted in court now, aren't they? So, one has to decide whether or not to believe one extreme or the other. A few rotten apples should not be used to discredit the entire police force, the majority of whom do their jobs well in the public interest.

It's beyond illogical to continually bash the police force as being out of control and then rely upon their statistics as being above reproach, since it's one way or the other. Either it's a bunch of out of control hooligans with a badge who do what they want, or it's a dedicated force with a couple of bad apples. Even the best of organizations can have failings within their ranks, and the police force is not immune to that phenomenon, since it's a function of a large, complex system in place where mistakes sometimes occur.
There are some good officers who are dedicated to the oath that they take, but the majority are power abusing mongrels with a badge. There needs to be a change in the culture of the police department ASAP. I'm getting tired of this.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM

132 posts, read 527,179 times
How many cops are there in the city?
If you took a statistical sample of thousands of random adult males in this city, I bet you would come up with many examples of violent behavior.
The article doesn't even go into detail on the story. We're they resisting arrest? Maybe they just raped or shot at somebody? Or attacked an officer?
... oh no, it's those evil cops again
whenever I walk the streets of New York, I fear the cops... not the criminals - the murderers, rapists, stick up kids - who occasionally get the Mod cut: language kicked out of them by police (and probably deserve more than that - like a bullet to the head instead) ...

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-12-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 03:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Even the best of organizations can have failings within their ranks, and the police force is not immune to that phenomenon, since it's a function of a large, complex system in place where mistakes sometimes occur.
A small minority of teachers have sex with their underage students, a small minority of CEO's misappropriate corporate funds, a small minority of retail associates steal clothes from the store, and a small minority of police officers beat suspects. All are unfortunate, but like bmwguydc has suggested, virtually any kind of group will have its bad apples.

A police officer's testimony regarding what happened at the scene of the crime is generally admissible as evidence, and the fact that a few bad apples lie about beating suspects shouldn't work to void evidence that is almost always relevant. Though police testimony will be generally be admitted, it is up to the jury to assign weight to that testimony. If the defense attorney impeaches the credibility of the witness police officer enough, the jury will assign the testimony very little weight. If it's really so apparent to you that a police officer is lying, it shouldn't be too hard for the defense attorney to impeach his credibility in front of the jury so that the jury thinks that he is lying as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,325,013 times
Unfortunately, the police force tends to attract a certain personality - power seeking, aggressive people who seek the authority to take out their aggression. Don't get me wrong, I think the majority of cops are OK, but there's too large a minority that's abusive and gets away with it. A video is rare.

This has been going on for generations. In 1961, my father didn't come home from work. He had a minor traffic altercation with someone who turned out to be a detective lieutenant. He called his cronies, my father was handcuffed, thrown into a police car, taken to the backroom of the station, beaten, and kept there all night. He was charged with resisting arrest and I think a few other things. My father had never been arrested in his life, before then or afterwards.

Police brutality will be with us as long as we have police. I do think it can be minimized if we increase the education requirement, say to a BA. That would give us a more refined group.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM

I happen to know that the majority of NYPD is like this, unfortunately.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I happen to know that the majority of NYPD is like this, unfortunately.
You know that a majority of the NYPD would beat an undeserving suspect? This sounds highly suspicious to me.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
You know that a majority of the NYPD would beat an undeserving suspect? This sounds highly suspicious to me.
Well it should, but if you know the FULL history of the NYPD (and police all over America) and have personally dealt with them in addition to knowing how they treat minorites (especially where I'm from) you would probably agree with me.

And for the record I'm saying the majority of them abuse their power. I also have 6 friends in the NYPD that are all over NYC (one in Corrections and a seventh friend in NJ over by Hudson county). And before you go there, I don't have some hatred for the NYPD or some kind of agenda against them for I plan on joining when I'm finished with college.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Unfortunately, the police force tends to attract a certain personality - power seeking, aggressive people who seek the authority to take out their aggression. Don't get me wrong, I think the majority of cops are OK, but there's too large a minority that's abusive and gets away with it. A video is rare.

This has been going on for generations. In 1961, my father didn't come home from work. He had a minor traffic altercation with someone who turned out to be a detective lieutenant. He called his cronies, my father was handcuffed, thrown into a police car, taken to the backroom of the station, beaten, and kept there all night. He was charged with resisting arrest and I think a few other things. My father had never been arrested in his life, before then or afterwards.

Police brutality will be with us as long as we have police. I do think it can be minimized if we increase the education requirement, say to a BA. That would give us a more refined group.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: