Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the pictures thread and did not notice any pictures of schools. This led me to a question about play ground areas at the schools. Where are they? Do kids play baseball or soccer at the grade schools? Do the high schools have football fields for the teams? I guess what I am saying is I don't see much grass anywhere to have a field or a play area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:38 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was looking at the pictures thread and did not notice any pictures of schools. This led me to a question about play ground areas at the schools. Where are they? Do kids play baseball or soccer at the grade schools? Do the high schools have football fields for the teams? I guess what I am saying is I don't see much grass anywhere to have a field or a play area.
Most of the playgrounds I've seen are paved concrete or similar hard surface, usually behind a tall chainlink fence.

Bronx Students Celebrate New Playground (http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=21961&folder_id=631 - broken link)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-15-2009 at 12:51 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
NYC does not really have a extensive recreational program for kids like NJ

I too do not notice lots of parks, and fields for kids to play in, locally that is

There are some large parks where people can play in, but you have to travel, so they are not great for kids

Like the big park in Queens where the tennis center is

Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
There are TONS of ballfields in Central Park that are alive with Little League teams every weekend!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:06 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In a high density urban environment like NYC don't expect to see humongous playgrounds or ball fields in the school yard. There are tons of parks, however, in the city....and what's missing in some amenities common elsewhere is more than compensated for by all the cultural and other recreational aspects of NYC life for kids and adults.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
High schools here that have a football team(out of 40+ teams, Manhattan only has 2, I think. Stuy & George Washington as far as I know) do have their own field adjacent to the school or nearby, which is also shared with their track/soccer/baseball(rare) teams. My zoned high school has one and it's huge. As far as elementary and middle/junior high school, most just have a small playground like stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City