U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM

3,696 posts, read 6,368,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
Why don't they lock the doors then? Maybe it's in case of a fire or something but it sure feels like a set up so that they could ticket us, people.
Fire, and other problems. On rare occasions, people may need to be led out of a tunnel. Workers will guide them out through an end of the train, and to safety. So, the doors need to be unlocked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM

252 posts, read 537,004 times
Yeah its crazy but true. i have no idea why they write you a ticket though? there was that story a few years back about the guy that was hot in the train, so went to change cars, passed out right in the middle of the two and fell off the train =(
and he was on his way to city hall with his g/f to get a marriage certificate.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,939,680 times
Wow, I had no idea this was illegal, I just thought it was something that shouldn't be done unless in an emergency. I've only used those doors a handful of times because I was always terrified of going through them. I certainly won't anymore.

A few years back I saw a guy actually stand in between cars for a minute or two, I have no idea what he was doing.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM

252 posts, read 537,004 times
its also illegal to play a radio, for two people to swipe with one card together, ive done this when i was younger with the student metro lol...yea we got a ticket for it...
and i also went to transit court , for a different ticket i got, and there was a guy there that got a ticket for swipping a homeless man with his metrocard.....the homeless man was "about" to jump the turnstile, so the nice man swiped him using his metro instead of having the homeless man jump. and guess what? a stupid cop came and gave the nice man a ticket. he said it was "improper use of a metrocard". he was pissed because he was about to give the homeless man a ticket for jumping.
theres a lot of little things that these cops will go and give tickets that are really crazy.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,035,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Fire, and other problems. On rare occasions, people may need to be led out of a tunnel. Workers will guide them out through an end of the train, and to safety. So, the doors need to be unlocked.
With modern technology, how hard is it to make a maglock that automatically locks with the train in motion, and unlocks in case of fire alarm, power failure, panic alarm, or whenever the train is moving 0 MPH?

Honestly, let's quit bitching about paying our taxes, and move forward with some infrastructure that can prevent tragedy in an emergency, and make people think twice before doing something really dumb.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM

9,864 posts, read 16,424,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosBravo View Post
I agree with you and it's probably safer to sit there and risk your health because some filthy, diseased bum carrying who knows what just got on your car and decided to park his nasty --- right next to you.
Same as it is with every ticket: That's not the city's problem. The city doesn't care that your car is filled with nasty bum-stench, the city only cares about your obedience to their regulations. If you don't obey, get ready for a fine or (if the judge is in a bad mood) a trip to Riker's.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 PM

3,875 posts, read 8,159,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
and i also went to transit court , for a different ticket i got, and there was a guy there that got a ticket for swipping a homeless man with his metrocard.....the homeless man was "about" to jump the turnstile, so the nice man swiped him using his metro instead of having the homeless man jump. and guess what? a stupid cop came and gave the nice man a ticket. he said it was "improper use of a metrocard". he was pissed because he was about to give the homeless man a ticket for jumping.
theres a lot of little things that these cops will go and give tickets that are really crazy.
Technically, I think it's only illegal to swipe somebody else in if they pay you for it. If you swipe somebody in out of the goodness of your heart (or if they're your friend/spouse/child), they can't ticket you (even if it's an unlimited because they have that 18 minute lockout period)

Old 11-26-2011, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 25,089 times
I rather just get off the train and change subway cars. Many people lost their lives in trains by switching cars, and train surfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City