Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I was kinda hoping to find a forum similar to this format, and with a little more conversation instead of just depressing stuff. .
Tuff to find anybody (old timers) happy if they are still living in the Ridgewood, Middle Villiage, Maspeth area.

Maspeth has it the worst right now they have this 2 faced Rebublicrat Councilman named Dennis "Pinkey" Gallagher who want's all the old familys to "give up and get lost" and fill every square inch of space. The NYC Mayor and every Democrat in Queens is 100% behind him
Its all about money and housing space, qualiety of life means nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,924 times
Default Hi

I live on Long Island now,just moved from Maspeth about 1 year ago and can never go back, soo bad. I always wanted to stay and raise my children there but no way. I'm about the same age as you, wonder if I know you?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 82,832 times
Default Response to Anyone from Maspeth

Maspeth as well as a lot of areas in Queens/Brooklyn have changed. I am originally from Williamsburg (all my life) and know of the surrounding areas. I have seen the changes througout the years and eventually moved out to Long Island. Everywhere you look they are tearing something down and building something new. It's true, you can't find parking anywhere! I still work in B'klyn and the commute can be tiresome, but I am emotionally tied to my job. (I teach!)
I made a pictography of Williamsburg when I was in college and wished I would have asked my professor to return it. It had pictures of Greenpoint and Williamsburg in the old days with updated pics. Hang on to your memories and try to remember the good old days. Change is a part of life, even if we don't agree with them. It's great to hear from folks who come from my part of town. Although I am from Williamsburg, the traveled, shop and hung out in the surrounding neighborhoods with friends & family!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
A lot of people seem to have bad things to say about Maspeth. I'm most likely moving there into my Aunt's extra apartment, from western Suffolk on Long Island. I've went there my whole life, since my grandmother owned the house before my Aunt. The only difference is that nowadays I hardly see kids playing around in the area.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 20,847 times
Talking habitant

I moved away from Maspeth in 1962 when I was seven, lived @ 53-07 43rd street in a tenements building called the Flats, with cobble stone street in front. Calvary cemetary was our play spot and Koszkiosko Bridge was also close. When we moved I heard the Flats was torn down for the Highway. Would love to hear from anyone with knowledge or pics of my old neighborhood at that time, as I miss the times and gentleness of a place really missed.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
My company owns property in Ridgewood, and I drive through maspeth all the time. It is still a nice area. It is not being taken over by asians and hispanics, not like flushing, and corona. There is still lots of white people there.

Maspeth, ridgewood, middle village, are all nice.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 PM

173 posts, read 459,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I'm from Ridgewood of the same era 71-85 I was there Friday. Lots of construction of new boxy brick "work barricks junk" the Aisens like to build. Heavy traffic.
Some of the quieter back streets are the same but Grand ave is a totall MESS of traffic and iron gates like 168 street Jamaica in the 80's.
All of Queens is being destroyed ever since Rudy G created "self certification" to save $$ on enforcement
Check out the queenscrap.blogspot.com lots of old Maspeth folk there.

PS dont brink you car to Maspeth. Like Ridgewood and Glendale there will be no place to park it but a yard or sidewalk. The new people (mostly Hispanics) own 4 per family then add the 2 familys plots that now house 6+ family.
-Joe

Wow! sounds just like Texas with all the cars and baby carriages

Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 27,314 times
Lived here my entire life. Yes, it changed... alot more buildings, less parking, but there are many people who live here that will never leave... Carvel is gone, there is now apartments, and commercial stores there, but they are all empty right now, and we heard carvel will be moving back in??? And OK.. pats is not there, but ROSA's is!

I know there is alot of negative on this thread, but ho about this...OLH School on Eliot Ave where my children go.. same teachers I had 20 years ago, now that's comforting to me.

There is more traffic, one ways, and lights than ever before, but when Italy won the soccer championship, a BIG reminder of the neighborhood being very Italian was evident by the cars beeping horns, and the fireworks that were going off for 4-5 hours afterwards.. that was cool.. gave me chills.

Here are some pictures.. they have alot other cool ones posted in the Maspeth post Office...but here are some old ones... QUEENSPIX.COM

It is like any neighborhood, you've got good blocks and bad ones. Big one family houses are still being built, which is nice to see. I think it will stay OK for long time..

Sal

Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,738 times
Wink Maspeth

Hello, my name is Guy Smith, and I lived in Maspeth from 1959-1962, attended PS 11 Elementary School for three years, and lived in "The Flats" at 53-07 43rd Street, Maspeth, near the bridge and Calvary Cemetary. My best friends and neighbors were the Finn family, they lived above us, and Danny was my best friend, and his twin sisters Doreen and Darlene used to baby sit me. We would go to Greenpoint Avenue to the Bliss Theater, where I saw my first movie, Jack the Giant Killer, there was a Key Food and a bakery near by, and a great candy store, where a quarter would get you a bag ful of candy. Summer nights I remember on the stoop, everyone knew each other, no problems with crime. A ride would come by, something with a name like"Half Moon", a man operated it, you would sit and it would go up and around. We actually would play in that tunnel area where there was a highway by the cemetary, wasnt there a cANADA dRY COMAPNY NEAR BY? Well, if anyone remembers me, the area, or something about my story, mail me at [email]Sams7wins@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Maspeth is still mostly Polish. I would know this because I work there. I think some people here are confusing Maspeth with Elmhurst or Woodside.

Even Ridgewood is starting to become heavily Polish now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City