Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM

101 posts, read 162,844 times

Advertisements

It is a museum or library? There are more galleries and exhibits than book rooms.

The main reading room, the famous big one, is not that big. And there are more tourists taking pictures than people reading. And the books on the shelves in the room are like "History of Bricks from 1800-1850, 5 volumes". It seems those books are there more to impress than to be useful for most readers.

Other than the main reading room, I could not find any other open shelves in the library. Other "rooms" are either closed, or have like 10 books, and need special permission to access.

And the periodical room, I thought you can go in and read old newspapers. And it turns out you must submit a request to a librarian to retrieve a paper for you, instead of open shelves.

All in all, this does not seem to be a library by definition, more like a pretentious museum/"oh look how majestic this building is, and how we have leather bound books that no one will care to read about" venue.

90% of the people there are visitors, not readers.

Idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 02:25 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
And your point is ..... ???

You don't seem to be happy with much of anything you experience in NYC. You should seriously consider finding a city that better meets your expectations.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
It wasn't built to please you. And exactly whom are you calling an 'idiot?'

Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Go figure! Somewhere around 20 million people from all around the world come to visit New York each year, and the vast majority of them leave impressed. I guess there was bound to be someone who wasn't. Although I must say, if New York didn't impress this one person, I can't imagine what city will!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Actually, a "library" by definition is a "place set apart to contain books, periodicals, and other material for reading, viewing, listening, study, or reference, as a room, set of rooms, or building where books may be read or borrowed."

So based on how you described it, what part of it doesn't make it a library again?? You have a problem with having to request a old newspaper from a librarian? Would you rather they just leave copies of the papers from the 1920's on the shelf so people can just flip through them and damage them?

But let me be the first to apologize to you for wasting your time if you couldn't find the latest stephen king novel. You could've walked a couple of blocks uptown to the Barnes & Noble for that.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM

101 posts, read 162,844 times
Just describing my experience, why act so surly? You cannot take criticism?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I think we take criticism better than do people who complain about being glared at for slurping soup in an upscale restaurant.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:00 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I think we take criticism better than do people who complain about being glared at for slurping soup in an upscale restaurant.
I actually saw someone drink soup with a straw one time at a nice restaurant before.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:59 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
It's a research library, like the Library of Congress, not a lending library. There are other branches for that. The vast majority of the books, i.e., several million, are in the basement. You have to fill out a slip and have the book you want sent up. You can only read the books in the library (which is why they have so many small rooms). You can't check them out.

It's a place for scholars and, because of the building, tourists. You don't go there for new novels, but rare and scholarly items. It's one of the top three libraries in the world.

If you had understood its function, you may not have been so quick to call people idiots.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM

93 posts, read 234,280 times
Don't tell me you missed the huge five story Mid-Manhattan Library right across the street!?!?! That's like an annex where you can find everything!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City