Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,068,287 times

Advertisements

I'm also a native New Yorker and around mostly native New Yorkers, though I do have a bunch of transplant friends as well. We never go around behaving as if we're better than anyone, though I must admit I do love my New Yorkers. I just like hearing the accent (which I realize is quite an ear sore), I love the straight-up attitude and the history we share as having grown up in the craziest city in the world. Luckily the transplants I know are also down to earth so I haven't come across this attitude. No one I know complains about tourists or anyone else. I think tourists are just innocently in their own bubble, as one often is when on holiday. But they do get annoying, as anders notes, when they block a whole crowded sidewalk and talk REALLY loudly on the bus and trains, as if they're alone and not with a million strangers that hear every word. No biggie though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,779,354 times
Default I had to look it up....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
ha! nice.
Rep man... cool word, trustafarian, I had to look it up. My need word power word for April...Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 AM

929 posts, read 2,062,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I've been wondering. Sometimes I get the feeling that people who call themselves "true" New Yorkers don't want you to enjoy the city. That, if you get excited about things they take for granted, that they look at your like a an annoying tourist in the bahamas with socks and sandals, whose just spending an extended vacation.

That people who come in are just posers and fakes and that true new yorkers are so cool and tough and streetwise and, well New Yorkers.

I dunno how to really put it. But anyone else get that vibe sometimes? That people who make an effort to announce that they are home grown and have a negative view on people who want to come in and experience that city that has inspired every form of media you can imagine?

I dunno. But I do. And it's annoying. I can't stand hipsters, but man, I'd rather hang out with them.
It's funny, I run a business in Brooklyn and most of my clients are "Midwestern Hipsters" simply because "Native NYers" are such miserable people that I won't take them as clients. Not to say that I don't have some really nice clients that are from NY, but for the most part the transient crowd is just more interesting, more laid back, more people orientated and less miserable.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,068,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
It's funny, I run a business in Brooklyn and most of my clients are "Midwestern Hipsters" simply because "Native NYers" are such miserable people that I won't take them as clients. Not to say that I don't have some really nice clients that are from NY, but for the most part the transient crowd is just more interesting, more laid back, more people orientated and less miserable.

Why would one who harbors such negative feelings about the locals even live around such miserable people?!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,761,665 times
Midwestern/southern/west coast transplants/yuppies/hipsters/trust funders are generally much more kind and pleasant and than native NY'ers.

The above poster was right, IMO. I run across way too many bitter and miserable looking people and most of the time they're "real New Yorkers". The transplants I've met all seem to love NYC far more than most of the natives I run across and don't complain as much.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM

84 posts, read 283,019 times
Do most hipsters really live in Williamsburg without jobs or is that an exaggeration? I'm not really doubting it, I subleased with a couple college kids who didn't work much, I mean, not near enough to pay even half the bills on their own or their astronomical college tuition.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 PM

33 posts, read 101,720 times
I was born and raised in Brooklyn and in my opinion hipsters are snobs....of course....some not all. I was eating breakfast in a local restaurant many years ago when hipsters first started moving into the Greenpoint/Williamsburg area, you know the place the Three Decker on Manhattan Avenue, when a transport hipster asked the waitress for Hollandaise Sauce. How pretensous he sounded...I mean really it's the Three Decker.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM

33 posts, read 101,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS Cowboy View Post
Do most hipsters really live in Williamsburg without jobs or is that an exaggeration? I'm not really doubting it, I subleased with a couple college kids who didn't work much, I mean, not near enough to pay even half the bills on their own or their astronomical college tuition.

I don't think they have 9-5 jobs if any ....have you ever been in McCarren Park in the middle of the day or any part of the day for that matter. The place is crawling with them. Can you say trust fund.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM

110 posts, read 218,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I think it all boils down to attitudes - the offensive attitudes of posers and the defensive attitudes of native New Yorkers.

My experience, being "B&T" (bridge & tunnel) and a Jerseyan, is that most native New Yorkers don't care for pretense or attitude, not even from each other, and especially not from outsiders. For the most part, New Yorkers don't care where someone's from. If they like you, they like you, and where you're from doesn't matter. But when faced with someone who has an attitude, New Yorkers will often, but not always, fall back on superficial attacks, the main one being that they are the "real New Yorkers" and those from elsewhere are the invading, obnoxious, annoying, in-the-way, pretentious jerks. But I want to make it clear that, in my experience, this attitude is almost always taken as a defense.

As for the term "real New Yorker", it has been coopted by the transplants. I have lots of family and friends who are real, native New Yorkers, being born and raised in every borough but the Bronx; none of them have ever really thrown around the "real New Yorker" phrase. In fact, what we've noticed in the last 10 years or so, with the influx of transplants (mostly midwestern kids who probably watched either "Rent" or "Sex in the City" and moved to NY to "live the life") is that these transplants, after living in NY City and becoming familiar with life there, have come to consider themselves the "real New Yorkers" and THEY are the ones who throw that term around the most, by far. They probably learned it from some actual native New Yorkers who used it against them early in their transition to NYC, and retained it for their own use later, against others.

The irony (and hipsters just LOVE irony, but I think this one is lost on them) is that these transplant hipsters will call anyone who isn't from Manhattan (or certain acceptable parts of Brooklyn like "Billyburg", Park Slope, Cobble Hill, etc., but even they're not exempt) either "B&T" or not "real New Yorkers", like them. So because some dufus grew up in Iowa and moved to the big city to "live the life" and brag to his hayseed friends back home, and because he has a shaggy bed-head pseudo-70's 'do, and an ironic t-shirt and a fedora or porkpie hat, he is now a "real New Yorker" and is above dealing with all the fake New Yorkers, like the ones who were born there.

A couple examples:
- One of my best friends was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Brooklyn and Staten Island and still lives in SI. We have heard him called "B&T" many times by hipsters, intimating that he is not a "real New Yorker". He asked one such person where he was born and he said, "Ohio", to which my friend replies, "oh yeah, I see you're a real New Yorker". The hipster then replied, "It doesn't matter where I was born, because I've lived in MANHATTAN for 3 years and know my way around and know where everything is, so I'm more of a real New Yorker than you."
- Another of my best friends who was born in Staten Island, grew up in Manhattan and then NJ and then moved to Brooklyn after college, was called a B&T by a hipster and told "you're not a New Yorker, you're from JERRRR-seey". He was then quizzed on what subway lines ran where and was told that the F train (which he takes every day) did NOT stop at Delancey but stopped at Spring St. (which is wrong). This friend also fell back on his status as a native New Yorker and asked the hipster, "Well where were you born?" to which the answer was "Massachusetts". Yeah, a "real New Yorker"...

There are too many of these stories for me to list here but it happens all the time. These transplants come to NY, they try to live the life of Sarah Jessica Parker from Sex in the City or they try to be one of the cast from "Rent", and they end up wearing the same uniform - thick-rimmed glasses, porkpie or fedora, ironic T or checked camp shirt, skinny jeans, scruff or a full beard, bed-head/shag/pseud-70's hairdo, tattoos - and they end up living off their mommy and daddy, and playing bicycle polo and going to the Piano Bar or the Cake Shop, driving up prices by paying any price for rents, meals, drinks, etc. (with the exception of the PBR's, which they usually just buy one of and force it down for looks).

I'm not totally against "gentrification", but to see what the LES and East Village once were and what they've become it's a particular type of gentrification that is artificial in nature. When these hipsters tire of it, the hipster-driven businesses in those neighborhoods will collapse. No more crepes, no more PBR's, no more $6 Stellas, no more hipster baby and pet shops, no more upscale wine shops. But that day is long off from how it looks right now.

Basically, it's not the "real New Yorkers" who generally use that term to belittle others; it's more often the hipster transplants who use the term because they are self-loathing. They can't ridicule others for not being "NATIVE New Yorkers", because they themselves are not; so they use the term "REAL" New Yorker, because in their minds, living there for 3 years makes them REAL New Yorkers with the full rights to belittle others on that basis alone.

Hipsters are a blight on the city of New York. I look forward to the day they leave. Maybe if there's a crime spike in NY they'll all flock back to their farms on the great plains, or wherever they're from.
Wow Johnny, you really hit the nail on the head with this.

I never really much thought about this problem until recently, I was living overseas for awhile and I just came back. I personally would consider a true new yorker anybody who was born here or grew up here from a young age and has family history here.

I was born in Florida, but my family is from brooklyn, my parents, and grandparents also were born there, they have lived here since ellis island, I came here at 6 months old and so I don't remember florida at all, so I dont know if I am disqualified as a "Native New Yorker" or not, in any case I know a good deal about life growing up here and nothing about florida where I happened to be born while my parents were living there.

In any case, the "hipster" thing I really only encountered when I go to manhattan, I am a "bridge and tunnel" from staten island but I don't consider 90% of the people in manhattan New Yorkers at all, I mean the people who built the city and their descendants have almost all been pushed out into brooklyn, queens and staten island.

I encountered 2 really arrogant hipster girls on st marks. who claimed to be from "Here" as they said, and they said they live in greenpoint, their tattoo's trendy hair and looks showed just as a way to hide their lack of personality and this was on new years eve of all nights.

I guess what makes this fake new yorker type stand out is somehow they think being anti-social and rude is a "new york thing" and so in order to "look like a "real" new yorker" they have to have this arrogant anti-social personality. But everybody I know who is really from new york is generally very socially adjusted, new yorkers are not really rude, they are just very direct and not so politically correct, which is percieved as rude by outsiders I suppose.

I am alone in this observation or what?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,190,207 times
Gimme a Joey or a Serge from Brooklyn over a Caleb or a Meghan from wonderbread lane any day of the goddamn week.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City