Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

40 posts, read 187,836 times

Advertisements

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Here's an article describing the sad destruction of CUNY standards and the reasons back in 1970:
CUNY Could Be Great Again by Heather Mac Donald, City Journal Winter 1998
Thank you for the article. This article is the shared opinion of many. It just looks at things from a race and politics point of view. There is more to it.

But I ask you to look beyond, look back at some of the threads on this forum, that discuss White Flight in the city during that time period. A big factor in that White Flight was drugs and the resulting crime. There are other factors as well. However, what ever the reasons for the "White Flight their was definitely a decline in the population of White people in the city.

Once the White population declined in the city, the city still had a population of millions. Millions of others were still there, and still came. CUNY's service mostly students from the city, from public schools. No one had to do much demonstrating, or screaming to get CUNY to change the admissions policies in order to keep students streaming through the doors.

In my last post I gave reasons why some minority students from lower income areas are ill prepared. I don't need to research, or read an article about it, I saw it. I lived in the Bronx and Harlem.

I remember when Washington Heights went from an older Jewish population to a Dominican one, it seemed as if it happened overnight. It didn't though, but it was pretty fast, much faster than gentrification that is taking place now. Some of my Dominican friends parents were turned down for apts in University Heights section of the Bronx, and had to accept apts in Washington Heights, because University Heights kept it's Jewish population a little longer.

You also have to keep in mind that those Jewish Immigrants that settled in Washington Heights were Holocust victims that had successful businesses in Europe before WWII, they were educated, some were doctors, lawyers, etc, everything was taken from them, and they had to start all over here in US.

The children of those Jewish Immigrants were raised in homes with well educated parents for the most part. These adult children had long before moved to the suburbs, before their parents moved to Riverdale. Those adult children were the students at City College a generation before the admission requirements changed.

City College was no longer needed by them. However the college had to keep operating. Now it had to service the students of Harlem and the new students of Washington Heights. Many of these students people that were older than the traditional college age, and less educated, many came from good homes, but parents did not have an adequate education themselves, and did not really know that the child had been short changed. As I stated before the drug culture was in operation in full force by this time.

The article you have sighted does not consider all of these things. The city has come through all of this, and has improved significantly for the better since the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

When I read the post written by teachers on this forum, I can see that the teachers have improved significantly since I was in school. There is less racism, and more caring. I doubt very much if any of these teachers would come to school high, tell their students to just read some books, and put their head down on the desk, and sleep all day.

All of these improvements to the city and the schools will continue to send better prepared students to the CUNY's. You will always have a population that needs CUNY because of finances.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Wow, this college has a very intriguing history. I'm learning a lot.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 PM

20 posts, read 111,426 times
Ok Honestly, you'll have no problem getting into City College. I go to Hunter and got accepted with a 2.8 high school GPA and mid-range SAT scores. They don't care about extra curriculars and letters of recommendation. With that said, Hunter and City College are actually great schools. Some of my professors also teach at NYU.

Dorm space, however, is very limited and you probably won't get a spot. There is a company that houses NYC students in hotels in Manhattan and Brooklyn (I don't know if I'm allowed to link it here, but it's the first google result for 'nyc student housing') if you don't get a dorm spot. It will still be like a dorm, but instead of only your school it will be with students from all the schools in the area.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 AM

That's good to hear. Eases my worries a lot, haha.

Speaking of dorms, do you know when City College is going to have their Fall 09 applications up? It says Mid-February, I've been checking back for about a month now and still no form.

Last edited by FXNT; 02-28-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM

46 posts, read 230,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXNT View Post
Speaking of dorms, do you know when City College is going to have their Fall 09 applications up? It says Mid-February, I've been checking back for about a month now and still no form.
Its been up. You apply online at cuny.edu. You better hurry though because the deadline is Mar. 15 I think.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:57 PM

-sigh- Dang, I don't know why I didn't think to check there.

ETA: Are you talking about the dorm apps or the regular apps? Because clicking on the dorm option sends me back to ccnytowers.com

Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
BTW OP are you currently in NYC. No right. Because you really would have benefited from going in to a City or Hunter or whatever and speaking with someone from the admin. They would have answered many of your questions and perhaps even given you some tips.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 AM

Nope, I'm out of state. And I've heard it's not really a good idea to continuously e-mail admissions, so I turned here.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXNT View Post
Nope, I'm out of state. And I've heard it's not really a good idea to continuously e-mail admissions, so I turned here.
Admissions is your best source for information. Even though financially CUNY's are a good deal, you will be giving up thousands of dollars, and countless hours of your time for the next few years. Even though it will be an investment well worth it, given the cost, and time, that you will be giving out of your life, go straight to the source and get the information you need.

Never be afraid to do that, or worry about inconveniencing someone, or worry about what they think. That is what they are getting paid for. The decision to admit you, or give you a dorm room, will not be based on how many times you email admissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City