Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Riverdale 8 47.06%
Norwood 7 41.18%
Both are good 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,299 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Bronx this summer. I am a 20-something single female professional and am looking forward to it. I have found wonderful deals in both Norwood and Riverdale though Montefiore (although Riverdale will cost almost double Norwood does). I don't know much about either neighborhood so I'm hoping you may be able to help.

Things I want to consider when deciding:

1. Safety (especially for a young single woman. I'll be in a doorman bldg so I'm not too worried about that. However my bf & friends live in Manhattan so I will probably be taking the subway back and forth often, and late in the evening. I also enjoy going running outdoors and would like to hear your thoughts on that).

2. Ambiance (I hear Riverdale is mostly for young families, but that it's "nicer" more consistently than Norwood in terms of safety etc.)

3. Convenience to NYC (it seems the commute to midtown is about the same from either place; however my bf lives on the east side and so I'm leaning towards Norwood where the 4 is)

4. A car (I can pay for a garage if need be, especially in Norwood. Is this necessary or not really?)

5. Things to do (Seems there are more restaurants etc in Riverdale but is there next to nothing in Norwood? Or is it just that there are fewer restaurants/groceries/gyms/etc?)

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have and/or anything else you think it might be important for me to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,319,456 times
Well the answer is simple, if you can spend more, and don't mind doing so, Riverdale is the way to go. You can jog, eat out, its "safe", good neighbors, alot of NYC commuters, good access via Metro-North and 1 train, and better amenities. If you are strictly on a budget, then Norwood will suffice but will be a noticeable step down from Riverdale.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,983,181 times
Not so sure,SobroGuy. I looked in Riverdale and decided it was too suburban for me. For better or worse I wound up spending almost the same but living elsewhere.

Bronxite2b has a lot of factors to consider,however. There are some parts of Riverdale that are ok transportation wise but most of it is a bus to the train or Metro north which can make a big difference.Not the same as being right on a subway line IMO.

I don't think of the 4 as being a Norwood train.I mean I guess it kisses Norwood near the end but isn't the D the real Norwood train?The 4 goes to Woodlawn.

Are there any doorman buildings in Norwood ? I don't remember seeing any but maybe.

If I were a single woman I think would have found Riverdale safer,however.And Riverdale is probably better for running unless you want to run in Woodlawn cemetary.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,267,502 times
The other option from Riverdale to the east side, however, is the express bus, the BxM1, which makes it much easier to get to/from Manhattan. It's easier to have a car in Riverdale than many other neighborhoods, with street parking, lot parking, and many buildings do have garages.

From a safety standpoint for a single woman, Riverdale offers more of a safety cushion. Plus, there are numerous parks, restaurants, and shops that make it easy to live in the neighborhood. If you don't mind paying the premium, there is much to recommend in the neighborhood that can make it well worth the expense.

EDIT: There's also a track club that meets in Van Cortlandt Park for running events, which is close to much of Riverdale.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,299 times
Thanks all for your responses!

I can afford Riverdale (barely) and I may feel a bit more comfortable with the cushion I would have in Norwood (esp these days...) as long as it is relatively safe. And, to speak to Sobro guy's point, I'm curious about how "suburban" Riverdale is...I like greenery but I have lived in the suburbs for the past couple of years and was looking forward to a change!

I have heard (read?) that there is some drug and gang activity particularly close to the 4. I have no idea if this is true or not. Anyone know? (Bluedog2, luckily I'm close-maybe 1/4 mile- to the 1..but I'll double check on the doorman issue).

I am planning to visit both neighborhoods soon just to see what my own sense of the place... I look forward to it!

PS- thanks for the track club tip, bmwguydc!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM

318 posts, read 1,095,862 times
I live in Bedford Park, which is on the other side of Mosholu Parkway from Norwood. It's hard to compare Riverdale and Norwood. Riverdale is much wealthier. People there have more disposable income and therefore you'll find more restaurants, etc.

However, I like Norwood. It's definately more urban than Riverdale. There's lots of hills and old Victorian houses. I don't think Norwood is considered to be high crime, but Riverdale is certainly lower, and if you're going to be coming home by yourself at 2am on a regular basis, that is certainly something you should consider.

There are definately places to run in Norwood. The Oval would be great for that, and Norwood is also bordered by Van Cortlandt Park. You may also find Mosholu a good place to run. I heard there's a gym on Gun Hill Rd. but don't know anything more. There's plenty of grocery stores, but very few good restaurants (a couple of Mexican, Korean and diners on this side of the Parkway for instance). I don't have a car and don't find I need one. In Bedford Park we also have a Metro North stop, which is nice, but that may be a bit far from you. I find the 4 train to be kind of slow, but so is the 1 from Riverdale. The D train gets you downtown very fast in rush hour.

I would consider both Riverdale and Norwood to be more family areas, and I don't think either would be particularly interesting for a 20-something. You'll see more students closer to Bedford Park Blvd. from Lehman and Fordham, but that may not be your crowd either, and I really have no idea where they hang out.

Last edited by Pete Piper; 02-26-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,319,456 times
Riverdale is definitely more suburban and leafy, and thats how the residents like it. It is probably still more urban than most places in the country, nonetheless for NYC it feels suburban. Norwood is far more urban, and definitely the best value for the dollar, and isn't that what 2009 is all about? Value? There is a premium for riverdale, but Norwood is fine too...once you check out both places you will see what we are talking about. 2 different areas.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM

730 posts, read 2,048,529 times
The best thing about Norwood is the proximity to a hospital (in case you get into an accident). The biggest downside Norwood has is that on the other side of the Mosholu Parkway, there are two bad boys, Tracey Towers and DeWitt Clinton High School.

If Riverdale or Norwood don't match your tastes, try Van Cortlandt Village. The train is much closer, but if you walk, you have to pass through both Clinton HS and the Towers.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM

48 posts, read 158,814 times
I haven't had any bad experience walking near Tracey Towers or Clinton and for the most part they are "off to the side" of Norwood.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,838,952 times
Consider all the good advice that everyone has given on this thread. Just one suggestion, don't base your decision on where your boyfriend lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City