Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpastars View Post
I know, moving to NYC with no job lined up sounds crazy, eh?

Here's the quick story, currently living in Seattle as a Senior Graphic Designer, but this city is dead for design work. Would it be wise to hole up in a cheaper motel in NYC/NJ and apply to NYC design jobs? I know, it's a gamble...

I would gladly take any advice that you have, as it would be greatly appreciated! That you for reading this post.
There are many ways in which to relocate. ah in 2004 I think it was I saw a man and woman with a dog and all their belongings on their back. They were walking. I asked where to and they said California they had received word that there was work there. So, there's one way. I guess it depends on what one is willing to do. Myself, I'm thinking along the lines of living in my car. I have 300.00 not 3000.00.

Indeed.com is an employment feed and you can look there for employment. You may even, as you have years in graphic design, be able to interview for job by phone. You have an outstanding resume I'm sure, fax it into NYC to companies you find postings on the Internet, that they have opportunities in your field of expertise.

What I use to do before the Internet is, I would phone the local newspaper and subscribe by mail to have the Sunday addition mailed to me. From there I would find jobs and housing listing in their local paper. Now though I am not so sure that would work, as most posting are now on yahoo and what have you.

The Internet is a curse as it has made most everything we do in life a virtual nightmare, to get accomplished. Wrong keywords which are a vital description of ones work ethics and values are the wrong keywords for it to be even picked up on someone's scanner.

Ask yourself what would you do if you didn't have the Internet as a resource.? What efforts would be applied then?

As you ponder this question I will show you and have you ask yourself this question, where in the U.S. do you want to be? And what are you willing to do, to sacrifice, to get there?

Unemployment Rates for States

Read the table and then of course click on any other area of interest.

I use to be a person who hated to loose and would do whatever it took to insure a win. Now loosing has shamefully become a way of life.

There is no comparison from the great depression era to today's time. My grandmother lived to tell me how it was they lived it. What stories will we have that we tell our grandchildren? I doubt very seriously it will be how the cow ate the corn and we had to shoot the cow, to eat.

bls.gov (Bureau of Labor Statistics)

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 02-27-2009 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: change ere to era
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
Not a good idea.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,877 times
Do not move to NYC right now. There are no jobs. I live in NY and I'm forced to work in LA every week due to lack of work in my field in the city. Do you have any idea how depressing it is to fly 5000 miles every week? Also there are barely any tourists even visiting, usually its pretty consistent year round. You're gonna have a ton of competition that already have local experience if you do end up coming. Remember NYC is like another filter above undergrad and grad education. Only the tough land jobs and are able to put up with the people and hectic pace of this city.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Do not move to NYC right now. There are no jobs. I live in NY and I'm forced to work in LA every week due to lack of work in my field in the city. Do you have any idea how depressing it is to fly 5000 miles every week? Also there are barely any tourists even visiting, usually its pretty consistent year round. You're gonna have a ton of competition that already have local experience if you do end up coming. Remember NYC is like another filter above undergrad and grad education. Only the tough land jobs and are able to put up with the people and hectic pace of this city.
There are no jobs in LA either. I'm going to assume you work in entertainment, but I could be wrong.

The situation is sad and I feel for everyone going through unemployment. Everyone wants to leave their current town or state for another believing the grass is greener. The entire country is going through it.

It's not just the US either but the whole world.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpastars View Post
Just to clarify, I have been hammering out NYC applications. I am getting good responses, but I am running into "at this time, we are looking for local candidates", which I totally understand
But you are a local candidate. You already live in Astoria. You have an apartment and are ready to start working on Monday. You are available for interviews with 2 days notice.
That's how you describe your situation to potential employers.
Acquire a 212, or 718 phone number and subscribe to Skype as well. When you need, just catch a plane and be here is a day.
Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:19 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Isn't temping an option?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 AM

3 posts, read 12,444 times
i wouldnt come to nyc with just 3k bro... if you do by any chance.. have a back up plan.. u dont wana be thousand of miles away broke and end up in the streets.. anyway usually those rooms that go under 1000 a month they require a background check, deposit fees, and definately requires you having a steady job just to pass their standard.. i would just save up at least 15k be4 moving out to start off fresh..

Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,832 times
I came here in December with about $5k and I got a job as a paralegal the first week in January. I was fine, but I live in Harlem. I also spent about 12 hours a day looking for jobs, so I don't know if my circumstances are normal. I think that maybe I just got really, really lucky, because it seems like every job as thousands of applicants.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
There are no jobs in LA either. I'm going to assume you work in entertainment, but I could be wrong.

The situation is sad and I feel for everyone going through unemployment. Everyone wants to leave their current town or state for another believing the grass is greener. The entire country is going through it.

It's not just the US either but the whole world.
I work in a specialized field of IT consulting in the public sector. I know CA has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and 20,000 jobs have been cut in the public sector (my clients).

It would be depressing to be out of work right now, I can imagine. I too feel for the people that have been laid off in the last couple of years. Everyone is laying off and freezing their recruiting so people could be out of work for years or until the economy picks up.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,735 times
I would do some really extensive advance work from where you are before pulling up stakes and just moving here. The "junk job" outlook is extremely brutal owing to all the unemployed financial district people, and you could easily wind up stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City