Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should NYC give away Staten Island to NJ
Yes - give away Staten Island and Hudson County 29 35.37%
No - Keep Staten Islan in NYC 54 65.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
you cant be serious. The bronx DEFINES urban. What part of the bronx you've been to?. Theres certain parts of the bronx brooklyn and queens that are more surbarban than others. But for the most parts nyc is is pretty urban. Jersey city cannot be more new york(if thats what your implying) than queens, simply because its not nyc. Something being "NEW YORK" is not dictated by how close is to manhattan. I've been to jersey city and it feels like JERSEY
Just re-read my last post. Believe me, I'm proud to be from NJ, and I'm not trying to make Jersey City out to be a part of NY. (By the way, people who are not from NJ cannot refer to NJ as "Jersey" like you did...it's kind of rude). I did not claim that Jersey City is more New York than those boroughs...I claimed that it's more urban. Historic brownstones and brick rowhouses, with no side alleys like I see in my neighborhood, feels more urban to me than the standalone houses I see in most of Queens and the Bronx. Can you argue with that?

Curious...what about Jersey City felt "like Jersey" ?? NJ is largely suburban and rural. Neither of which is Jersey City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM

Click on the StreetView link, for each of these locations...

Here is my neighborhood in Jersey City:

266 barrow street jersey city NJ - Google Maps

And here is a street in the Bronx:

1615 Givan Ave bronx NY - Google Maps

Tell me the truth...to an unbiased eye, which looks "more urban" ?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

I hear what you're saying but you're cherry picking.

Here is a street in the Bronx:

1256 Nelson Av, Bronx, NY - Google Maps

And here is a street in Jersey City:

50 Grieco Dr, Jersey City, NJ - Google Maps

Tell me the truth...to an unbiased eye, which looks "more urban"?

Seriously, Jersey City is urban. It might well be more urban on the whole than Queens (though probably not the Bronx). But Queens has a NY feel and JC has an NJ feel. You say you're fine with that since you prefer NJ, and more power to you. I don't know anyone who suggests that Jersey City is suburbia, just that it's not NY. And it's not.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM

486 posts, read 983,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgers12 View Post
The high hills and detatched housing are features that are only found in Staten Island. Staten Island has some of the nicest houses in all of New York City and in contrast with the more urban city.
AGAIN, How well do you know NYC??
You have detached houses and hills in Riverdale and in case we forgot, that's still the Bronx, not it's not Westchester.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
There are also wonderful detached homes in Brooklyn and Queens, as well as parks - lots of parks!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I hear what you're saying but you're cherry picking.

Here is a street in the Bronx:

1256 Nelson Av, Bronx, NY - Google Maps

And here is a street in Jersey City:

50 Grieco Dr, Jersey City, NJ - Google Maps

Tell me the truth...to an unbiased eye, which looks "more urban"?

Seriously, Jersey City is urban. It might well be more urban on the whole than Queens (though probably not the Bronx). But Queens has a NY feel and JC has an NJ feel. You say you're fine with that since you prefer NJ, and more power to you. I don't know anyone who suggests that Jersey City is suburbia, just that it's not NY. And it's not.
That's fine, but I lost you on the "NJ feel". NJ to me, is a more suburban feeling. If you were to blindfold a NYC native, and place him/her somewhere in urban JC, and somehow hide the license plates on all the cars (LOL)...how would someone guess that they're not in one of the NYC boroughs??

What is this "NJ feel" ? JC is half a mile from Manhattan. The people are just as fast paced as NYers. Locals have the accents...transplants/yuppies/hipsters do not, just like in NYC. If you didn't know that you had crossed the Holland Tunnel, would you *really* be able to tell the difference in the environs? Just food for thought.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:

In a city with eight million residents, you're picking out individual streets? I wonder if you have any idea how little that proves?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In a city with eight million residents, you're picking out individual streets? I wonder if you have any idea how little that proves?
I was specifically referring to the Bronx, which doesn't have 8 Million people. And it was just an example.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
That's fine, but I lost you on the "NJ feel". NJ to me, is a more suburban feeling. If you were to blindfold a NYC native, and place him/her somewhere in urban JC, and somehow hide the license plates on all the cars (LOL)...how would someone guess that they're not in one of the NYC boroughs??

What is this "NJ feel" ? JC is half a mile from Manhattan. The people are just as fast paced as NYers. Locals have the accents...transplants/yuppies/hipsters do not, just like in NYC. If you didn't know that you had crossed the Holland Tunnel, would you *really* be able to tell the difference in the environs? Just food for thought.
Now come on, I can't tell anymore if you want JC to have an NYC feel or an NJ feel? I thought you had NJ pride.

Of course I'd know it's NJ. It's true that NJ is more widely considered suburbia, but there's an urban NJ feel as well. Urban NJ is different from suburban NJ, obviously, but it's also different from NYC.

In most of Jersey City the street layout, the street names, the architecture of the houses, the street and parking signs, everything about the place is similar to Newark, Paterson, Elizabeth, New Brunswick. It doesn't look the same as NYC. The difference is subtle but it's there.

Your area, and the whole general vicinity of Grove St PATH (a very nice neighborhood) does look more similar to Brooklyn and parts of Manhattan than the rest of Jersey City.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
Quote:
(By the way, people who are not from NJ cannot refer to NJ as "Jersey" like you did...it's kind of rude).
One of the dumbest things I've ever read. So what, if you're not Jewish you can't say Jew? Or if you're not Puerto Rican, you can't say Boricua?

Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City