Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,386 times

Advertisements

Manhattan Valley is hands down the most up and coming neighborhood in Manhattan. Its location between Central Park and Columbia U makes it a safe condo/coop investment location, however, its affordable pricing will not last long (30% discount to surrounding areas). PRATT just completed a study highlighting how the city can boost economic activity in the area - check it out!
New York State Assembly - Member Section
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,841,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gears View Post
Manhattan Valley is hands down the most up and coming neighborhood in Manhattan. Its location between Central Park and Columbia U makes it a safe condo/coop investment location, however, its affordable pricing will not last long (30% discount to surrounding areas). PRATT just completed a study highlighting how the city can boost economic activity in the area - check it out!
New York State Assembly - Member Section
Manhattan Valley begins/ends at 110th. Columbia University is in Morningside Heights. What do you mean by up and coming? Manhattan Valley is probably one of the most economically diverse neighborhoods of NYC. There are many buildings with subsidized housing, and rent stabilization. Because of this the area will remain as it is for many years to come. Many people stay in the area, and will not move.

What changes would you like to see concerning the businesses in the area? The area is definitely more residential than commercial.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,669,301 times
I love Manhattan Valley.
I hate trying to ride my bike out of it.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:02 AM

118 posts, read 442,717 times
While the OP may really love the area he's describing, it is not a "gem" if you are considering costs. The area he is in is already pretty gentrified, and is continuing on that path. I should know, I've checked out the rents. If you want to find affordability short of scoring some amazing unheard-of deal, you still would have to go further north. And Morningside Heights is still pricey because of the economic power of Columbia. I'm up on 134th and even there it's becoming more competitive.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:30 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,220,343 times
I love how all the new folks to NYC are so amazed how NYC was back in the days.
I wanna see pic to compare! lol. That's cute.

Makes me all the more proud that I am a native New Yorker.

And this Mahattan Valley? Who the hell is renaming our neighborhoods?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:20 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,068,631 times
The name is known by the Spanish people who grew up in the neighborhood, so I'm not sure this neighborhood has been renamed? The gentrification started when I got out of college in the early 90's, I remember looking at a very nice studio with hard wood floors around Columbus and 105th for $795, but found that too pricey and ended up in a studio on 14th Street and Avenue A for $428 per month (yes you read that right, when I left 10 years later I was only paying $520 per month).

Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,909 times
I lived on 108th from 1944 to 1954 and consider myself priveleged to have been in the most diverse neighborhood in the world and with what the photographer William Klein called a "ragged vitality".
Where else in the city did you have a soaring gothic cathedral, an 1812 fort and a "gilley" stream that meandered through a valley that screened out the sights and sounds of Manhattan? And in he winter you had a Currier and Ives scenes on the Great Hill as childen sleigh rided down from 106th to 110th?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,909 times
Who is renaming?

Probably the same people who have remamed what we used to designate as AD to CE - the common era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City