Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 AM

44 posts, read 115,976 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...again. I been on this forum trying to figure out if Brooklyn or Queens( Most Likely Astoria) is better for me to live while going to graduate school in the city (21st and Broadway). I have been looking at different apartments in Brooklyn, and it seems that some of the areas with a quick comute to the city like Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope are mostly filled with self proclaimed "Hipsters" and people who are not native NYers. I also have friends in Bennsonhurst and Bay Ridge, but I wanted a diverse INTEGRATED area thats not one block all Italian, one block all African American, and everyone has there own area. Im apologize if I sound ignorant I am from Long Island, and although I am familiar with the city I am not so familiar with Brooklyn or Queens. I want to live in an area that is rich in culture, and has people from all walks of life. I am not of fan of the Hipster/yuppy attitude!!! I want to live around people who are from these areas so that I can experience their culture and not the culture of a bunch of wana be NYers. I hope this make sense and I also hope that I'm not offending anyone!!! Also I haven't been considering the Bronx, but I am open to any opinions on the area!!! THank you again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 52,836 times
Its called Fort Greene and its fantastic.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
What about Sunset Park?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
As Joebot stated Fort Greene is an integrated area of Brooklyn and it is nice. Other areas that I can think of would be Clinton Hill and Prospect Heights...both are integrated and have decent commutes to Manhattan. Clinton Hill is the next area pass Fort Greene and just before Bed-Stuy. Prospect Heights is near Park Slope, Clinton Hill and Crown Heights. If you have the opportunity, you shoud visit all 3 neighborhoods. Your experience in any of the neighborhoods would be based on what part of the neighborhood you live in.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Glad to to realize your good intentions.When I saw the headline of your post I was afraid you might be looking to avoid an integrated area.We get some of that here.

Your perceptions are very good about some of the neighborhoods that you mention and previous posters have pointed you toward more "real " neighborhoods in Brooklyn. All good.

There are a couple of neighborhoods in The Bronx that would fit the description of what you are looking for as well and are they are probably considerably less expensive than the ones in Brooklyn for no other reason than all of The Bronx has been undeservedly painted with a broad negative brush since the 1970's . The reality is that there are all kinds of neighborhoods .You should check out the Pelham Parkway area. I live here and it one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the whole city.Has everyone from everywhere including a fair number of students and teachers from Fordham,which is close by.You can get a really big totally renovated studio with dishwasher etc... maybe 600 or 650 sq ft in a nice clean pre war building for around 800 or 900 a mo or a big 900 sq ft 1 br in the same kind of bldg for 1,100/mo . If you look hard you can probably find even less expensive places in 2 or 3 family houses .

It is on the 2 and the 5 so you can go East Side or West Side in about 35 mins.Not a lot of night life but a good inexpensive area if that's what you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
What about Sunset Park?
Wouldn't really call that area integrated. You can literally make a map out of Sunset Park and draw up who occupies what with borders.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM

THank you all for your advise!!! Bluedog2 would you say that this area in the Bronx in the main area I should look at or are there any other Safe Integrated Neighborhoods that are a close subway ride to the city??? I have looked at a few apartments in Cliton Hill, but the problem I'm having there is that they advertise Cliton Hill but it's actually Bed Stuy. As I said I want a diverse and Integrated area that is not mainly occupied by one ethnic group. I also like I'm sure like everyone looking for an apartment especialy Females, I want a safe neighborhood that I feel comfortable walking my dogs in at night!!! Thank you all again for all your help. Theere is so much to consider and sooooooo many options!!!!!! I love New York!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
No, there are other neighborhoods. Pelham Parkway just happens to be one of the really more diverse.It is about 35 % hispanic (from many different countries),30 % white (mostly old timer Italians and Jews and immigrant Albanians),20 or 25% Black Including many Africans and the rest is is Korean,Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian ,Pakistani and some others.I also like Pelham Bay,Morris Park,Bedford Park,Norwood and Van cortland Village but I don't think any of them are quite as diverse as Pelham Parkway.They tend to be a little more heavily one thing or another.The subway times to midtown vary from about 30 or 35 mins to 50 mins or so,depending on what area.

Maybe you should check some of them out and see how you feel.The Bronx is real ungentrified NY and there aren't any Starbucks ,cafe's or nightlife but the rents are quite low.

Pelham Bay is at the end of the 6 train.Morris Park is on the 5,Bedford Park and Norwood are on the B,the D and the 4 .Van Cortland village is between the 1 and the 4

You also might want to check out Riverdale and Woodlawn too.Both are quite nice but not as diverse as the others.Riverdale is at the end of the 1,Woodlawn at the end of the 4.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Wouldn't really call that area integrated. You can literally make a map out of Sunset Park and draw up who occupies what with borders.
So true. Below 6th avenue, hispanics. Above 6th is Chinese.

Queens seems to have a lot of these areas.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM

OK I promise this is my last question!!! Out of the areas you mentiond in the Bronx, what is the quickest comute to the city, and also most Dog Friendly( I have 2 Dogs!!!). I guess the area thats is in closest proximity to grass, it doesn't have to be a park. Im sorry for all the questions, I know Brooklyn... kinda, I know Queens very little, but I know NOTHING about the BRonx other then I have family in Morris Park that I don't speak with!!! haha Thank you though this has been really helpfull!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City