Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,818,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
skeeved
Pardon me, but what does this word mean? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 04:23 PM

423 posts, read 1,278,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
Pardon me, but what does this word mean? lol
It means bothered, grossed out, disgusted, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,623,547 times
Default There is very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And don't worry too much about the summers. The weather in the last 25 or 30 years has been completely different from the way it used to be. Yeah, it'll get hot here in the city. But we don't get the same kinds of two- or three-week-long stretches of that unbearable heat and humidity like we used to. (Similarly, we don't snow like we once did, either. What fell here this past Monday was hardly even worth considering).
I grew up in Manhattan in the 1950s and the summers were a hell of a lot hotter than in the past 20 years. Also, there was a whole lot more snow back then. As a child, I used to sled down the mountains of snow on 7th Ave. and Christopher St. they piled up from shoveling the sidewalks and roads.

I now, unfortunaterly, live in Florida. When I leave here and go back to NY, I am going to take every pairs of shorts, capris, and FLIP FLOPS I now own and make a big bonfire out of them all. I never want to ever see any of them again.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,065,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And don't worry too much about the summers. The weather in the last 25 or 30 years has been completely different from the way it used to be. Yeah, it'll get hot here in the city. But we don't get the same kinds of two- or three-week-long stretches of that unbearable heat and humidity like we used to. (Similarly, we don't snow like we once did, either. What fell here this past Monday was hardly even worth considering).
I guess that's a matter of opinon and depending on where you're comparing NYC's summers to. The East coast (not so much New England states) summer's in general, are much warmer and more humid than the Great lakes regions and the West coast.

I personally think NYC's summers are too humid and the nightime temps don't drop off enough.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM

33,792 posts, read 47,011,929 times
you can wear the flip flops today

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,411,621 times
Quote:
Flip flops in Manhattan have always skeeved me out though (shudder)
Why? Do you have a problem with women's feet? Or is it a matter of style?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,986,545 times
Early April can be flip flop weather or snow shoe weather..by mid April, it's officially spring, and it stays pretty warm until mid October or so.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Why? Do you have a problem with women's feet? Or is it a matter of style?
I'm a woman it's not a style issue... The reason it grosses me out is - the streets and sidewalks are dirty and you're walking around basically almost barefoot. I had a friend arrive home w/ almost black feet once and it's grossed me out ever since!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,986,545 times
Quote:
I'm a woman it's not a style issue... The reason it grosses me out is - the streets and sidewalks are dirty and you're walking around basically almost barefoot. I had a friend arrive home w/ almost black feet once and it's grossed me out ever since!

Absolutely. I live on Long Island, and after a day in the city, you can run your finger over your forehead and almost peel the dirt off. I love NYC, but the air quality is terrible.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:13 AM

84 posts, read 283,215 times
Last summer when I wore a greasy sunscreen on my face I'd come home with more than a few medium sized flecks of black soot on my face. You don't notice this unless you sweat a lot or wear heavy moisturizer. This was when I lived in Midtown, though, where it's obscenely loud, dirty, and with the most traffic. It really is filthy to wear flip flops here as well, anytime I see someone in them their feet are black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City