U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which borough is the most pleasant?
Manhattan 11 28.21%
Brooklyn 5 12.82%
Queens 11 28.21%
The Bronx 5 12.82%
Staten Island 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM

825 posts, read 2,934,812 times

Advertisements

Which borough offers the most comfort? I'd have to say it's a toss up between Staten Island or Queens or possibly Brooklyn... and parts of the Bronx. And Manhattan of course is the city center, it has everything. If you like the borough you live in and are satisfied and you think it's the best, vote for it. Or vote for which one you think is the best even if you don't live there, but you think that it has the best quality of life. Where would someone with the potential of raising a family be happiest?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,608,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Which borough offers the most comfort? I'd have to say it's a toss up between Staten Island or Queens or possibly Brooklyn... and parts of the Bronx. And Manhattan of course is the city center, it has everything. If you like the borough you live in and are satisfied and you think it's the best, vote for it. Or vote for which one you think is the best even if you don't live there, but you think that it has the best quality of life. Where would someone with the potential of raising a family be happiest?
I was a resident of Manhattan for many years, then moved to Brooklyn, lived in the Bronx for six months, and now live in Staten Island. Although the Bronx has some beautiful areas, I like to live smack in front of the water, and where I live now is very, very pleasant.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,229,666 times
If you have money - Manhattan is phenomenal! Outer boroughs, I'm more enclined to say Queens and/or Brookyn. As far as convenience I don't think any other borough really beats these 2. They are a stones throw away from Manhattan (at least the areas for work for the most part). Downtown, live in Brooklyn, midtown, live in queens. convenience rules for me.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 21,636,800 times
All well and good but are you including Floral Park,the Rockaways,Ozone Park,Jamaica, Hollis,Bayside,Queens Village and all the rest of eastern Queens in that convenient area? I don't think so.How can you make such a blanket statement about a whole Borough? Yes,Queens is certainly more convenient if you live in LIC but all of Queens being more convenient to midtown?I don't know about that.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 21,636,800 times
I live in The Bronx and love my neighborhood and there are great neighborhoods in every borough but I think Brooklyn has the most great neighborhoods. For that reason, I think it has to be the most pleasant to live in.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM

825 posts, read 2,934,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I was a resident of Manhattan for many years, then moved to Brooklyn, lived in the Bronx for six months, and now live in Staten Island. Although the Bronx has some beautiful areas, I like to live smack in front of the water, and where I live now is very, very pleasant.
yeah, when I ask people about Staten Island, they all say it's a dump. even people I know who used to live there say it is. it is the only borough I haven't been to. I plan on checking it out soon. it looks like a very nice and pleasant place to live. I'm almost certain that Staten island is a very nice borough and everything that people are saying is not true. all I have to do now is visit Staten Island to confirm my predictions.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,608,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
yeah, when I ask people about Staten Island, they all say it's a dump. even people I know who used to live there say it is. it is the only borough I haven't been to. I plan on checking it out soon. it looks like a very nice and pleasant place to live. I'm almost certain that Staten island is a very nice borough and everything that people are saying is not true. all I have to do now is visit Staten Island to confirm my predictions.
There are lots of very ignorant people who equate ALL THE PEOPLE OF STATEN ISLAND with the Soprano culture. And, in reality, those are the same people who have never set foot in the myriad of beautiful neighborhoods we have here, or have gone as far as the ferry, and have drawn their own conclusions by looking at one street.

We have some of the most beautiful areas with a multitude of different architecture all around the ISLAND. Todt Hill, South East Annadale, Emerson Hill, Sunset Hill, Hughenot, Princess Bay, Tottenville, Pleasant Plains, Eltingville, (where there is a new movie studio and Steven Segal owns a house by the water,) Historical Richdmond Town, Lighthouse Hill, Princess Bay, and many other beautiful areas. We have lots of lakes, hills, birds sanctuaries and reserves, and we even have recently acquired deers and squirrels from New Jersey.

It is mainly divided as the North Shore, and the South Shore, with the Mid-Island, obviously in the middle.

The ISLAND is GREEN, with a multitude of TREES!!!!!! AND guess what: We even have CULTURE....check it out at: www.StatenIslandUSA.com.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 AM

194 posts, read 723,811 times
I commute every day to Staten Island for work and im really starting to like it.Its so clean and fells relaxed with a slower pace(besides the traffic on the SIE)

Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 AM

162 posts, read 565,630 times
Eastern Queens.

Staten Island is nice, but it's pretty isolated from the rest of the city, and although the Staten Island Ferry is nice, I wouldn't want to commute on that thing every day.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 AM

11 posts, read 34,537 times
Manhattan is the most convenient (and expensive), but living near the ferry on Staten Island made for the best commute in the city. Now that`s pleasant compared to a packed subway car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City