Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is cynthia. Im looking for a two bedroom apt. for me and daughter. Iwork fulltime. My daughter goes to shcool fulltime and she works partime. I live in bronx, new york. I have been living at this apt for 7 years. I really need to move Its very bad over there so if someone will open there heat for me and my daughter, god will bless you. Thanks very munch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Colorgirl unfortunately for those on section 8 it is bad pretty much everywhere they go, as the only Landlords that will consider taking section 8 are those that don't care about their properties and are usually in the worst areas. Have you ever considered transferring your section 8 voucher to place like Pennsylvania, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, etc? There are a significant number of people transferring their vouchers their because they and their families have much better lives. They can rent a house in a good community, send their kids to good schools, have backyards, good friends and neighbors, clean air, parks, and a much healthier lifestyle. Talk to your caseworker because pretty much wherever you go in NYCwith a Section 8 voucher will be the same...

Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM

101 posts, read 562,735 times
Colorgirl I dont mean to bring you down but Im also looking for a 2 bedroom section 8 apartment. In NYC it's damn near impossible. The good landlord who actually care about thier tenants/property dont take section 8. Im living in an apartment building in Brooklyn where the owner just doesnt give a crap about anything. Ive only seen him ONCE and that wasnt even at the lease signing .He sent his real estate broker. I seen him once to give me my mail box key. He doesnt answer his business or cellphone. My written complaints about the loud music go unanswered 99% of the time . The ONLY time I hear from him is when his rent is over a day late. He will literally mail me an overnight letter on the 3rd of the month asking where is his rent ...It's TERRIBLE . When I first moved in literally the second day I seen rats in my kitchen and living room AND bedroom! Guess what? He left holes ALL over the apartment . When I phoned him immediately he said "ehh it's no big deal Ill send someone over to fill the holes" He NEVER came...I wind up buying steel wool and plaster crap and fixing it myself as well as buy a door sweep and since than havent seen anything in months....

When I got my section 8 voucher they give you a list of apartments. I called EVERY number on that paper and was told they were taken . Not only that but you need to have atleast 4500 dollars up front...1500 first months rent, 1500 security and 1500 broker's fee... I simply can not afford that.. I dont know anyone on section 8 that can afford that. NYC is TOO exspensive...Im pissed that I cant afford to move elsewhere..I have 5 months left on my voucher and I may transfer it to NJ...Dont knock NJ it's a hell of a lot better than NY especially if you have kids. Im going to stay here for 1 more year so my son can contuinue to get his therapy .The one thing I LOVE about NYC is the services for autistic children..You cant beat it .NJ doesnt compare in that area...It's alot easier to navigate in NYC ...

Good luck but if I were you I'd take the voucher and transfer it out of state. My friend lived in NYC all her life and she transferred her voucher to Ohio and she loves it. She has a house, her kids go to good schools. She has a pool in her yard ,garden, friends, neighborhood parties etc and she says she will NEVER EVER move back to NYC .

Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Thanks for sharing your experience Aniya....unfortunately that is the way it is now. Transferring your voucher to NJ is probably your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: