U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 15,923 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone..I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I will be moving to new york as I have been admitted to columbia university for masters in operations research.

I would like to know about the living expenses in NY.
Also can anyone tell me if currently part time jobs are available or not?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,064,505 times
There is potential for a job everywhere. Just a matter of finding it.

Your questions are incredibly vague, how can anyone answer them. Prices in New York, heck, ANYWHERE, range from incredibly high to incredibly low, all depends on where you're planning on living.

Part time jobs exist, all depends on what you're willing to do and how much you're willing to get paid.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM

39,839 posts, read 39,833,596 times
Living expenses depend on your needs.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 83,141 times
megadell Prices in New York, heck, ANYWHERE, range from incredibly high to incredibly low

I wouldn't say incredibly low. The area around columbia is expensive. I lived in Morningside Heights for a while. Job Market is tight now in Manhattan (long lines for retail job interviews) BRING A LOT OF MONEY.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,064,505 times
He didn't say Manhattan, he said NYC. Yea, he's going to school in Manhattan, but maybe he's willing to commute into it for the sake of affordable housing, who knows.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 AM

120 posts, read 423,019 times
Do you have student housing? I lived w/ my wife in Columbia student housing. They subsidize the rent so it was only $1200/mo for a small 1 bdrm (approx 350 sq ft). We had couples housing so we had our own place. Other students we knew who got student housing were paying like $700/mo for a shared 3 bdrm.

If you don't get student housing, you're stuck finding housing on your own. You would probably want to find a roommate at that point and hopefully be paying $1000 - $1500 to share a 2 or 3 bdrm. That's if you want to be close to school and stay in morningside heights / UWS. Housing is cheaper the further north you go, take a look at Harlem.

As for food/expenses other than housing, I think you'll be good w/ $2K/mo.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 AM

304 posts, read 1,254,636 times
Don't forget non-obvious cost-of-living issues.
Beyond rent: People who move to NYC - without doing much research - often are floored by the combined 8.375% state and city sales tax; inflated everyday costs (food, basic household stuff, movies/rentals, even 'cheap' eating out); and high utilities/phone costs, which pile layers of taxes onto basic rates. And if they're working nonstudents, they're stunned by the combined state and city income taxes.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,256 times
Hi There! I´m moving to NY the current year. I would like to know about monthly expenses (not including the rent) to a tipical family (3 members) for: food, utilities and services (cable, internet), commuting - metro, eat in restaurants, etc. Etc. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:41 PM

11 posts, read 39,139 times
To the Original Poster:

I'm assuming, being a grad student, you want to live on the cheap.

You can find a studio close to Columbia in the Upper-Upper West Side, Morningside Heights, & West Harlem for $1000-$1200 or a 2 Bedroom $1500-$1800, depending on size/amenities. Check Craigslist to get an idea. Finding a roommate is relatively easy. To move-in you must have 1st months rent, last months rent (security deposit), often have to pay a 1 month broker fee, & may have to pay an application fee ($50-$100). Being a student, you'll either need a guarantor (aka co-signer) or pay several months rent in advance. There are (slightly) cheaper apartments further up in Harlem, or over in Jersey, but then you have a longer commute, or might end up in a neighborhood you're not comfortable in since you're not familiar with the city. If you don't have a guarontor or several months rent, find someone looking for a roommate/room-for-rent.

Gas/Electric in a small apartment is about $50-$75/month (per person).

Internet is about $30-$40, an Internet/Cable/Phone package is around $100/month.

MetroCard is $2.50 a ride, $104 for Unlimited 30-Day Card. Just depends how often you ride the train/subway.

Food just depends. Can eat okay for one on $50-$75 a week if you buy groceries. If you look, can find lunch specials at casual restaurants for $5-$8 (+ tip), dinner around $10-$12 (+tip), happy hour drinks $3-$5.

Having a Columbia student ID gets you a lot of discounts & some free admission into museums, etc.

As far as part-time jobs, it depends what you want & where you look. Restaurants are always hiring. If you want something specific in your field, best to check with your school. At least, I imagine they have on-campus jobs you can apply for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City