Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times

Advertisements

I agree that the older trains are pretty bad, but the MTA has purchased a lot of new subway cars in the past decade. Pretty soon they should be replacing all of the older ones from the 1960s and 1970s.

The new R160s are really nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R160B_%..._Subway_car%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
It is not the stations that get me, it is sometimes the trains. The 2 and 3 trains can be down right NASTY at times. The 7 is always packed, but that is just a fact of life. E trains have a lot a bums in it every now-and-then. But all 8th Ave line trains are like that. Broadway lines can take FOREVER, especially late at night. Is it me, or does the N trains lights flicker on-and-off at times a little too much? But all in all, still the best subway system on the planet. If anyone would rather drive in the city and not take the subway is off their rocker!

Last edited by mead; 03-29-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 09:08 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
God I hope so. I hope that in 5 years, all trains will be like the ones on the Lexington Ave line or the L train.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:56 PM

We can hope so, but the MTA could always cut back on its orders or not take advantage of the option to purchase the newer cars.

At the end of the day though does it really matter how new and clean the subway cars are if the average subway station looks like this: http://www.bigfoto.com/sites/galery/...-subway-46.jpg ???

Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
My only complaint about the subways is that they are completely FILTHY, especially the stations. I have seen subway stations in 3rd world countries that are much nicer than what is in NYC.

What is going on here? Where is all the money for repairs being spent? I took the N going into Brooklyn a couple of weeks back and every single station looked like it was some bombed out war zone that had not been painted or repaired for atleast a decade.

Just to prove my point here are some pictures of Subway stations from around the world. Notice anything about them? See how they don't look run down and disgusting

Singapore: http://www.astro.washington.edu/kristine/Singapore/SubwayStation.JPG (broken link)

Hong Kong: http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/h...s/HKtrain2.JPG

Tokyo: http://www.journeythroughjapan.org/uploads/photo_images/Tokyo.subway.platform_a.JPG (broken link)

Calcutta (yes the place where Mother Theresa helped poor people, even their subway stations are cleaner): http://www.greatmirror.com/images/medium/010415.jpg

London: http://files.myopera.com/lokutus_prime/albums/255/London's%20subway%20system.JPG (broken link)

Taipei: http://static.flickr.com/67/224926963_d58683ad99_o.jpg
I just took the N to Coney Island yesterday. I know what you mean, lots and lots of graffiti. But thats because most of the stops in brooklyn are outside and thats just what happens in NYC. But yea I can see your point.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:37 PM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,981 times
I don't take or use either. As far as a strike don't count on it. There have only been two strikes since 1980. Also if they do strike both the busses and subways stop running.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 48,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
It is not the stations that get me, it is sometimes the trains. The 2 and 3 trains can be down right NASTY at times. The 7 is always packed, but that is just a fact of life. E trains have a lot a bums in it every now-and-then. But all 8th Ave line trains are like that. Broadway lines can take FOREVER, especially late at night. Is it me, or does the N trains lights flicker on-and-off at times a little too much? But all in all, still the best subway system on the planet. If anyone would rather drive in the city and not take the subway is off their rocker!
I would much rather be driving in my nice car than sitting in those dirty trains.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:48 PM

I'm honestly thinking about writing a letter to the MTA about this situation. It is a disgrace to the city. We live in the richest country in the world and yet the public transport system in our most important city is in shambles.

How hard is it for some MTA employees to get out there with a bucket of paint, and a mop and clean up these stations? Why is this situation allowed to contine? It kind of boogles my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
I just took the N to Coney Island yesterday. I know what you mean, lots and lots of graffiti. But thats because most of the stops in brooklyn are outside and thats just what happens in NYC. But yea I can see your point.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,645 times
I must agree with Mead.

That our subway system is such a mess is one of our city’s greatest shames.

How can we be the capital of the world and have the most pathetic underground transit on Planet Earth?

The stations suck, the trains suck, the workers suck.

The MTA is perpetually broke. It’s not that they don’t have money to build new lines- apparently they can’t afford to even clean and get rid of the rats!

I know everything goes slow in New York (look at that big hole called Ground Zero or the who-knows-when-or-what new Penn Station), but 40 years to build the Second Avenue subway line? It ain’t serious!

I used to live in Madrid (Spain). In ten (10) years, they built more new lines there than NYC will ever see. Not to mention they also updated the stations to make them look modern and bought new trains, which are silent and sleek-looking.

I go to Madrid now and feel as if the 22nd century had arrived, subway-wise. But here in the most powerful city ever created, we can’t get a dingy light bulb changed in the underground.

We better laugh at it or it’ll just be too much to even think about it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM

Well I was thinking about this yesterday. Are all subway systems in the USA a mess compared to the rest of the world? I haven't riden the subway in Philadelphia or Boston a while.

The only decent subway system we have in the USA that I could think of is probably in Washington DC. The subway system there, where while not being the best in the world, is definitely much better than the NYC subway system in terms of cleanliness and updated equipment. Why can't NYC replicate what has been done in DC, and why is it so difficult to keep the stations clean in NYC when they seemed very clean in Washington?

I was also thinking that all of the suburban rail systems in the NYC are in pretty good shape, not great, but they are generally in good order. The LIRR and Metro North are even run by the MTA, the same organization that runs the subways. So why if the LIRR and Metro North can be kept in good condition, has the MTA failed to do the same for the subway???

Here's a picture of a typical Washington DC subway station if anyone is interested: http://www.see-places.com/photos/washington-dc/0080-washington-dc-subway.jpg (broken link)

Compare that to a typical NYC subway station:

Notice the difference?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
We all want nicer trains and stations, but lets be real. Are anyone of us willing to pay $3.50 for a one way ride and pay 50 cents for transfers? We all know the MTA is "broke".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City