U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM

142 posts, read 479,323 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about joining zipcar. The closest zipcar location to my house is 187th street in the Bronx.
Can anyone share their experience with this service and specially this location. I plan to use this as alternative to car rental which I probably use once a month for short trips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM

10,913 posts, read 27,641,567 times
I cannot comment on that particular location, but overall I have been extremely satisfied with ZipCar. I have the membership to augment the fleet for a specific type of vehicle that I do not have in the city (trucks usually). For the cost, it's great, compared to a traditional rental, especially when you factor in that the gas and insurance are included.

I have not had an issue with ZipCar's vehicles in any location where I have used them, so I think that the managers are pretty thorough about keeping the vehicles in good repair. I would highly recommend the ZipCar service, and I have my own vehicles as well. But, for someone living car-free, it's a very good option, just remember to book in advance on busy dates or you might have a trek to find an available vehicle.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:00 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,601,116 times
I also can't vouch for that particular location, but I've used ZipCar twice from Manhattan locations. Overall, I've been pleased, but there was a problem with each rental. The first time, the garage where the car was parked couldn't get my car started, so I had to call and have a new car assigned. The second time, the gas tank was almost empty and the gas card didn't work (probably why the tank was almost empty ) -- after 20 minutes on the phone with ZipCar, I ended up having to use my own card to put gas in and then submitting it for reimbursement.

But still, I would recommend the company for the occasional non-mass-transit-possible trip.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,557,470 times
I've used them several times in Manhattan and never had a problem. It's much less costly than the big rental agencies. Even with the annual fee.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks all. Looks like people think highly of zipcar.
I'm pleasantly surprised to find out the Bronx zipcar location is just a few blocks from my building.
Looks like I'm going to sign up for the occasional driving plan.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,061,442 times
I hope they open another spot. I like Zipcar but the Fordham area isn't exactly a traffic friendly locale.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

They do actively look to new locations, and they like free parking, who doesn't? But, in this sense, it does make sense for a municipality to attract such services, and offer the free parking. There's contact information somewhere on their website about this, but if you're interested in getting ZipCar to your neighborhood, talk to your council office or building management to see if you could be a host to them. It's worth a shot.

Edit: One tip for when you use ZipCar that they do mention is to pad your return time. The fees are serious if you go over the time, so be sure to add some extra time, since the car can be booked immediately upon return and you could have to pay the late fee.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 29,906,502 times
Default how much

credit hold do they take if you use a debit card?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM

You prepay the rental, so it's the normal rental charges. For an occassional driver of ZipCar, you pay the basic membership fee, $50, and then you apply to become a member.

They investigate your driving record and have criteria by which their insurer will accept you as a driver. You pass that and then you pay as you go. For more frequent renters, they do have monthly plans that include some rental time and a discount on additional rental fees.

You even have the opportunity for a fee to pay a deductible, which is all you're responsible for under the terms of insurance in the event of an accident that's your fault for a reasonable fee for the entire year. You can partially defray this as well.

So, under normal rental considerations, they just bill for usage and membership/deductible fees. But, in the case of an accident, there may be a hold on the card for the deductible.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM

anyone knows if they have any coupon for new member signup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or