Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM

103 posts, read 572,272 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My brother is getting married on Friday at the city clerk's office in Manhattan. It is on Worth Street and Centre St.
We're looking for a restaurant to go to afterwards that's within walking distance. There will be 8 of us and we're totally clueless as to restaurants in downtown Manhattan.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Downtown does not have great restaurants

It is pretty dead down there afterhours so nothing chic ever developed

if you yahoo it you may come up with good results

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
a lot of people go to city hall on duane street
or megu on thomas street
also landmarc on west broadway is good.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Congratulations on the happy event! Some restaurants that I would consider include:

Bridge Cafe (Water Street@ Dover) - American Cuisine - under 10 minute walk, 3-5 minutes by cab

Mark Joseph Steakhouse - (261 Water) - Excellent steakhouse from what I know of it, though I have never had meat dishes here (vegetarian...LOL)

Sequoia - Pier 17, South Street, 10-15 minute walk, 5-7 by cab

Harbor Lights - also Pier 17

A little further away, perhaps 15 minutes walking, under 10 by cab is the Waterstone Grill which is at 79 Pearl St.

If you don't mind a trek across the Brooklyn Bridge, since it's a special occassion, you could also check into the River Cafe in Brooklyn Heights, which is an easy distance by cab. While you could technically walk, it would take 20-30 minutes. It's at 1 Water Street, Brooklyn, which can be confusing as there's also Water in Lower Manhattan, so specify to the cab driver that it's Brooklyn.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
There are massive amounts of great restaurants in Tribeca, not far at all from the financial district. Buy a Zagat's, consult it, and I guarantee you will find a very special place to celebrate.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
If you're historically minded you could try Fraunces Tavern (Fraunces Tavern (http://www.frauncestavern.com/index2.htm - broken link)) or Delmonico's (Delmonico's Restaurant Steak House Grill New York City). They are two of the oldest restaurants in the city (or the country, for that matter). Fraunces Tavern dates from colonial times and is closely associated with George Washington. Delmonico's is a grand, old-school, New York institution. Although it's quite expensive (you can see the menu online), the dining room is spectacular and the food is excellent. It's a lunch you won't soon forget. That's where I would go.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
You need to provide some pricing point. As somone above said, much of Tribeca is walking distance from City Hall, with prices and styles all over the map.

One very nearby example in the moderate price range is Arqua, at Church and White. Very solid Italian.

Also, contrary to a comment above, the choices in the financial district have improved greatly. MarkJoseph, mentioned elsewhere above, has some of the best steak in the city. Bobby Vans, on Broad & Exchange is also good steak and has nice private rooms you might be able to get for your group. Le Halles, (John & Nassau), is a good, casual French bistro. Bridge Cafe (Water St. under the bridge) is an ancient but decent place.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Oh I love the Bridge Cafe. A very unique spot.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 PM

103 posts, read 572,272 times
Smile Thanks!

I want to thank everyone so much for all of their suggestions. Tomorrow my mom is going to scout out a few of them. I'll let you know where we end up and what we think.
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: