Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 PM

13 posts, read 44,200 times

Advertisements

** Moving from LI to Queens or Brooklyn **

My boyfriend and I are considering moving into the Queens, Brooklyn, NYC areas, after we finish our undergraduate degrees, within a year. I'm most likely attending Queens College for graduate school, while he'll be commuting into NYC for his job, gigs, ect (acting, tv production, improv).

We're exploring our options and looking for a place that will satisfy both of our needs. I'm going to school for teaching (elementary and special ed, grades 1-6), so I would prefer a safe neighborhood with a decent school district, that's respectably close to Queens College. He'll be pretty content wherever we are as long as it's a safe neighborhood and an easier commute to NYC.

We currently live on LI, and he absolutely hates the commute to the city. It costs him a fortune to keep his car, for commuting on LI, and then taking the train into the city every other day. Plus, the amount of time to get to his job is about an hour and a half. It's hard to enjoy what the city offers when you're spending your paycheck on just commuting there!

I really like Kew Gardens and Forrest Hills and the both of us like Astoria. Although, I understand that Kew Gardens and Forrest Hills are a bit pricier and we'll be paying off student loans... so... that may not be an option. Unfortunately, I do not know Brooklyn all that well, but as long as it’s a decent commute to the city/Queens College it is on our list!

It's hard to tell now, but maybe within the range of $1,000-$2,000 a month, 1 or 2BR?? The both of us are definitely looking forward to public transportation, since neither of us enjoy driving or paying insurance, gas, fix-ups, ect. Also, the both of us are in our early 20's, so we're young and adventurous! Personally, I do not mind commuting to night life scenes, just as long as our "home" neighborhood is considered safe to be wandering around in the wee hours in the morning.

Any advice from natives, Queens College students, teachers residing in Queens or Brooklyn, ect? To my understanding, there are more teaching jobs available in Brooklyn than Queens? Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

Last edited by TouchTheSky; 11-09-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 25,667 times
Middle Village & Glendale are right next to Forest Hills. The downside is it's a definite "Two Fare Zone" where you'll need to either walk or take the bus to the subway (although with the transfer, it's not really two fares anymore.)

The upside is both are very clean family neighborhoods and the prices are a lot less than Forest Hills.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 8,430 times
I agree, with the last statement and moved out of Middle Village 6 months ago.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
You can find an apartment in your price range in Forest Hills. While it is a little bit pricier than places like Middle Village and Glendale, it has the advantage of being within walking distance of a subway station that is relatively safe at night. You can also find a decent place in Middle Village near the train station on Metropolitan Ave.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM

75 posts, read 563,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky View Post
** Moving from LI to Queens or Brooklyn **

My boyfriend and I are considering moving into the Queens, Brooklyn, NYC areas, after we finish our undergraduate degrees, within a year. I'm most likely attending Queens College for graduate school, while he'll be commuting into NYC for his job, gigs, ect (acting, tv production, improv).

We're exploring our options and looking for a place that will satisfy both of our needs. I'm going to school for teaching (elementary and special ed, grades 1-6), so I would prefer a safe neighborhood with a decent school district, that's respectably close to Queens College. He'll be pretty content wherever we are as long as it's a safe neighborhood and an easier commute to NYC.

We currently live on LI, and he absolutely hates the commute to the city. It costs him a fortune to keep his car, for commuting on LI, and then taking the train into the city every other day. Plus, the amount of time to get to his job is about an hour and a half. It's hard to enjoy what the city offers when you're spending your paycheck on just commuting there!

I really like Kew Gardens and Forrest Hills and the both of us like Astoria. Although, I understand that Kew Gardens and Forrest Hills are a bit pricier and we'll be paying off student loans... so... that may not be an option. Unfortunately, I do not know Brooklyn all that well, but as long as it’s a decent commute to the city/Queens College it is on our list!

It's hard to tell now, but maybe within the range of $1,000-$2,000 a month, 1 or 2BR?? The both of us are definitely looking forward to public transportation, since neither of us enjoy driving or paying insurance, gas, fix-ups, ect. Also, the both of us are in our early 20's, so we're young and adventurous! Personally, I do not mind commuting to night life scenes, just as long as our "home" neighborhood is considered safe to be wandering around in the wee hours in the morning.

Any advice from natives, Queens College students, teachers residing in Queens or Brooklyn, ect? To my understanding, there are more teaching jobs available in Brooklyn than Queens? Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!!!
Queens: Forest Hills, Middle Village, Woodhaven, Briarwood, Astoria, Jax Heights, West Flushing (Main St Subway Station)

Brooklyn: Bensonhurst, Greenpoint, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Bath Beach, Park Slope

All of these are safe neighborhoods, and yes you're right about the teaching jobs.

Your best bets (pricewise) would be Middle Village & Jackson Heights in Queens, and Park Slope or Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Default buses

Look at the bus lines to Queens college...

Since you don't want to be driving...you want to make sure the area you pick is 1 or 2 buses away...or a short bus/train combo.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I live in Astoria and teach in the Bronx. You have a little edge over everyone else since you'll have a special-ed license, but any job nowadays is hard to come by. Most teachers start off in the poorer areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx, like myself.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Do you have a car? If you do, disregard what I'm about to say.

While Astoria is a great neighborhood, I would not suggest it at all if you're going to QC.. two trains and a bus with over an hour commute will wear you down. You can find decent priced apartments in Kew Gardens.. coming from LI, without the property taxes, you should find a lot of the housing here to be more affordable. You might want to consider the areas of Flushing/Fresh Meadows that are in the vicinity of the school as well.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
Why not look in Flushing or the Jamaica area where you can get to Queens College easily and hubby is near the trains to get to Manhattan.

In your price range, you can get a 1-bedroom apartment in Jamaica Estates near the subway and the buses for Queens College.

btw, you will have a significant edge with special ed certification.
Also, there are new schools opening all over NY and principals like new teachers just out of school. They're easier to work with because they're new and just do what they're told. And especially at new schools where they want teachers to learn to do things their way. In addition, turnover is high in NYC Department of Education.

There are folks who have a difficult time being assigned, but that's not true for everybody.
If you do well in school and interview well (that's the main thing) you will have options about where you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City