Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,328,943 times

Advertisements

No, a neighborhood doesn't have to be all white to be a nice place to live. There are many nice African-American and Asian neighborhoods in the area, and I have posted about them previously.

I am currently living in a hispanic and black neighborhood, which while isn't the best place in the world, is somewhat alright (hell, it isn't the projects!)
And, by the way, I will be moving to the Bronx once my lease is up in order to take advantage of the cheaper rents.

On the other hand though, I don't think I can think of a bad white neighborhood in the NYC area. Do you know of any? Of course many other people in the world have white folks beat in terms of nice neighborhoods. If you ever visit some places in Asia, like Japan, for instance the first thing you'll notice is how clean and safe it is in comparison to the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Does a neighborhood have to be white to be a good place to live? I've been reading old threads and Mead you sound totally obsessed.

Last edited by mead; 03-27-2007 at 01:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 AM

I don't know, I think the Bronx has a stigma attached to it that will be hard to shake. I consider this somewhat a good thing though because there are nice neighborhoods in the Bronx that are completely underpriced compared to the rest of the NYC area.

You're right about Parkchester. I noticed a couple of Bangladeshi women walking around the last time I drove thru there. Parkchester is actually starting to look downright decent, but I still don't know if I would consider living there even if the rents are absurdly low. I see on their webpage that a 1br in Parkchester is currently going for $880-$1,000. I believe these apartments are quite big too.

The only negative thing about Parkchester is the parking situation, or lack thereof. I have also heard that a lot of cars in the garagres around Parkchester tend to get broken into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You made a lot of good points, but what is to say that a new wave of white people won't come into the Bronx now? It has happened in other parts of the city, why would it not happen in the Bronx.

Parkchester is changing. I have a sister who lives over there, the rents are going up and there are and a lot of Asian people coming in, and a sprinkling of white people. A lot of the people coming in are predominately middle class. Gentrification isn't just about white people moving into a neighborhood. It can be any group. It just means that the people coming in are wealthier than those traditionally in the neighborhood, which in turn forces people out who can't afford the rents as they go up.

Albanian Little Italy is very nice. Quite a few shops and businesses are still run by Italians but yeah the neighborhood isn't really an Italian neighborhood. I haven't been to the Morris Park one. Will have to pay a visit.

I'm not in a rush for gentrification to happen, trust me. But I'm realistic also, if it has happened elsewhere, why not the Bronx. I like the neighborhood where I'm at right now, and I especially like the rent.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,156,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I don't know, I think the Bronx has a stigma attached to it that will be hard to shake. I consider this somewhat a good thing though because there are nice neighborhoods in the Bronx that are completely underpriced compared to the rest of the NYC area.

You're right about Parkchester. I noticed a couple of Bangladeshi women walking around the last time I drove thru there. Parkchester is actually starting to look downright decent, but I still don't know if I would consider living there even if the rents are absurdly low. I see on their webpage that a 1br in Parkchester is currently going for $880-$1,000. I believe these apartments are quite big too.

The only negative thing about Parkchester is the parking situation, or lack thereof. I have also heard that a lot of cars in the garagres around Parkchester tend to get broken into.
Your right about the stigma. The stigma is the main reason the changes have occured at a slower pace in the Bronx, which I think is sort of a good thing by the way. If the rent stays cheaper, I'm happy.

But you'll be surprised how quickly stigmas can go away. Harlem had a stigma, so did many parts of Brooklyn.

I've visited my sister in Parkchester quite a bit. She's lived there for about 4 or 5 years. It isn't the greatest place in the world but it is pretty safe. I've seen much worse neighborhoods in my lifetime. The apartments are very nice. They all pretty much have the same design. Spacious with nice hardwood floors. There is a security force within the complex. Elevator buildings, trash compactor.

The more attractive area is the one near the 6 train, that's where most of the shopping is. People drive like madmen around there. I hate driving around there! The parking is horrible, but there are spots you can find parking on the street if you don't mind walking a few blocks. I've never heard about people breaking into the garages.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,861 times
Quote:
Your right about the stigma. The stigma is the main reason the changes have occured at a slower pace in the Bronx, which I think is sort of a good thing by the way. If the rent stays cheaper, I'm happy.

I'm with you, pal.

I'm moving to the Bronx, just as soon as I finish helping my girlfriend get through school. I'm hoping she'll come with me. She's never lived anywhere but God-Awful Dung Island, I think she'll love it just as I will.

YUPPIES STAY AWAY. THE BRONX IS A TERRIBLE PLACE!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:08 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,638,097 times
Quote:
But you'll be surprised how quickly stigmas can go away. Harlem had a stigma, so did many parts of Brooklyn.
I grew up in Northern Bed-Stuy, near the Williamsburg border. The area is also near Bushwick. Williamsburg and Bushwick had just as much stigma as the Bronx. In fact, Bushwick was called "the Burning Bush", due to lanlords deliberately burning their buildings out in the 70s to collect insurance money.

But last year, I looked at a 2-bed, 2-bath condo in Bushwick for...(drumroll, please)....$450,000!!!!! And look at all the condos in what is now Billyburg.

While I understand those two hoods are about location (both are <20 minutes from manhattan), they initially became prime locations due to their once cheap housing stock.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
On the other hand though, I don't think I can think of a bad white neighborhood in the NYC area. Do you know of any?
If you know the history of the City of New York, you know that there are reasons for that. Conditions of neighborhoods came about due to factors such as bank, realtor and urban planning policies. Certain people benefitted from those policies, while others got the shaft. In fact, more people got the shaft than just nonwhites (although, no one wants to admit that!).

Those policies are now thankfully being corrected.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,777,185 times
Where will the bronx be in a couple of years?

Hopefully somewhere far, far away. Haha.

I grew up in the Bronx. Way, way too much low income housing. It will be New York City's dump for poor along with East NY and Brownsville soon.

There are now two pockets of poverty as well. One is huge stretching from the tip of the South Bronx to Bedford Park Blvd, and then in fizzels al the way up to Gun Hill Road, meaning some blocks very poor, some working class. It also stretches from the Harlem River well into Castle Hill. The second pocket is from Southern Mount Vernon. down to around Gun Hill Road, it then fizzels down to around Adee Avenue. From Bronx River to the valley area (if your from the Bronx, you know the valley).

Poor gotta live somewhere. The only changes the Bronx needs is to eliminate the drug trade (can't see this happening with so much poverty) and better the quality of housing, quality of life. Then it will be a decent place to live for the low income people. They also need to slow the overdevelopment as the Bronx is now becoming more an overpopulated slum then an empty ghost town like it was. Too much residential construction. Not enough schools, parks, other facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
If you know the history of the City of New York, you know that there are reasons for that. Conditions of neighborhoods came about due to factors such as bank, realtor and urban planning policies. Certain people benefitted from those policies, while others got the shaft. In fact, more people got the shaft than just nonwhites (although, no one wants to admit that!).

Check out some of the Albanian areas. There are some nasty blocks in the Pelham Parkway section of the Bronx for example where you see Albanian gangs controling things. Ever heard of A.B.I.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Yeah but I don't think the Albanians make up a majority in any of the neighborhoods they live in. Most of the blocks around Pelham Parkway (Lydig ave) where the Albanians dominate are mostly Hispanic or black neighborhoods. So they really aren't white neighborhoods at all, the Albanians just run the criminal activities on the blocks.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,572,062 times
Default Bronxite

I left my coop in the Almagamated buildings on Sedgwick Ave. had parking
nice 3/2 with rent under $1,000, was a really nice building with elevator
5th floor could see the bridge, manhattan, close to bus, trains a short
trip to Yonkers..........and I let it go, what a huge mistake. Never had much trouble with anyone, if fact, people were very helpful at times. Of course the Bronx isn't what it was in the 50', 60's......but I could live there again.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:15 PM

259 posts, read 937,138 times
It is highly improbable that the Bronx except for a few areas will become entirely White again Because the White Euro-aboriginal population is dwindling in Europe just like here! Not to mention that fewer are coming and what little that remains are leaving Look at the chart of NYC since 1910
Quote:
http://histmaps.research.cuny.edu/pub/maps/map3.aspx?g=1&animation=true (broken link)
even with all of this so-called regentrification the numbers of whites in the City still keep dwindling look at Manhattans dwindling White population! Interesting to note most of the Euros that settle in Manhattan are not permanent residents (condotells) as well as those out of towners who keep apartments as second addresses!

Originally Posted by scatman
Quote:
People got the shaft back then in order to clean up neighborhoods just like today! The neighborhood improvement act of the 1920's which had racial occupancy restrictions kept most city neighborhoods middle class and stable for decades!

Last edited by Dee62; 05-12-2007 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City