Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,982,371 times

Advertisements

Yes the new buildings that are going up in and around Melrose, Mott Haven, and Concourse area are specifically for the middle/working class...with income requirements varying from generally $30,000-$80,000 depending on size of family, number of bedrooms, etc. So yes....the middle class are the ONLY people that can afford to live in these new developments that are going up all over the area. The area is being repopulated with the middle/working class...and they are providing the amenities as well to make it a more livable. community oriented community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,988,521 times
Oh my....gentrification in my neck of the woods!

09/19/07) UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS - A Manhattan-quality apartment building with affordable units could soon be going up in University Heights.

A littered parking lot on Landing Road may become the site of an eight-story, 140-unit apartment building. Amenities will include a health club, Manhattan and Harlem River views and a doorman.

"[A] very attractive, modern brick building," said Jack Guttman of Chelsea Development Group. "Some [apartments] with terraces and patios and parking for every resident down below."

more here

http://www.news12.com/BX/topstories/article?id=200359#

Kind of old but still.....what do you all think?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
where is landing road?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
where is landing road?
That's by the major deegan.....basically all the way to the west. If you ever heard of the X-bar, it's right by there. Used to be a huge empty lot of debris.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 PM

SuperMario...why do you, along with so many others, call this type of development gentrification? This is a new building, with modern amenities, that will attract something besides the destitute, the indigent, and the 3 generation welfare cases....thus it is gentrification?

Don't be ridiculous...it is appealing to a DIFFERENT group of people that have ben totally ignore in the area, as well as most parts of the Bronx. You should welcome this type of development as it will likely bring in a new class of people to your community..with amenities to follow.

This type of development is a REVITALIZATION...not gentrification..good grief. Unless we ONLY build for the destitute every development is foolishly branded "gentrification"....unless we ONLY target the 3 generation welfare abusers we are targeting "gentrifyers".....must we continue to isolate and segregate these communities? I am glad to see some normalcy enter these communities...and housing other than Section 8....you should too.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 PM

West Bronx getting some play lately:

Morris Heights gets affordable co-ops

Ground was broken on a new affordable co-op in Morris Heights. Though news of new affordable housing is often greeted with cheers, some people in this neighborhood are skeptical.

Washington Bridge View, located at 150 Featherbed Lane, will be an 83,145 square foot mixed-use development that will house 48 residential units: 10 one-bedroom and 38 two-bedroom apartments that will be sold through a lottery.

More here:

http://www.bronxbeat.org/cs/ContentServer?childpagename=Bronxbeat08%2FJRN_Cont ent_C%2FRW1StoryDetailLayout2&c=JRN_Content_C&p=11 75373852248&pagename=JRN%2FRW1Wrapper&cid=11753746 31350&site=Bronxbeat08 (broken link)

I knew about this before it was published. As a regular in the area I saw the sign WASHINGTON BRIDGE VIEW.

Good luck in promoting it. That area, Morris Heights, is an extremely poor area where 52% of the population rely on public assistance. If you read the article people really doubt anybody in the neighborhood can afford it. There used to be a building there but it burned down. The sorrounding buildings on University, Andrews, Harrison are all boarded up. Across the street are the behemoth projects known as the Sedegwick houses. To make things better the 46th precinct covering the area (as well as University Heights, Tremont and Fordham) lead the city in murders with 8. According to another article Morris Heights brother neighborhood University Heights has expirienced a population loss. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the losses occured in Morris Heights because Morris Heights is commonly grouped with University Heights.

The west Bronx has become undesirable. The flourishing drug trade, widespread poverty and prominence of gangs have all contributed to a sky rocketing crime rate that has really destroyed the west Bronx.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Yes all of these factors are true...but there is a shakeup occuring, and the changes are happening. If you believe the population loss was due to University Heights being "undesireable" ..why would the poor be leaving then? The poor have been living there in droves BECAUSE it was undesireable..however now that investments are coming into the area in the form of new affordable housing, amenities, greenspace, rehabbed buildings, co-ops/condos, rents and cost of living is INCREASING..which is the reason for the population loss!

The more development and investment that occurs, the more of the poor that will leave...not because the area is becoming undesireable, it has been for 25++ years, but because the cost of living in this city, including rents, are rising, and the poor are finding better deals outside of the city. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as the compelte segregation of the poor has gone on too long and has had detrimental effects....some mixed income housing and intergration is in order...and this will also improve the area.

On a side note about revitalization, the 2 white lesbians that outbid me on a house in Longwood threw a party yesterday at their home. The place was JAM PACKED full of Hipsters, Lesbians/Homos, and other obvious newbies to the area....they then proceeded on a walking tour of the Longwood Historical District and relished the old brownstones.....it was an interesting little group indeed...how things change.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Well Guy I never said the reason for the population loss was because it was undesirable. I agree that maybe the rents are rising. But Morris/Uni Heights have not had more developments than Mott Haven/Melrose and the population in those places increased despite having newer luxurious developments. So it can't be the reason. Also in my neighborhood the only thing that have been built on the lots have been a church (in progress), a home for abused women, a large building (probably an extension of the abused home or some form on low income housing) and a block of 2 family homes. A proposed plan on landing road for affordable Manhattan style building hasn't been accepted yet but that's it for new stuff. I doubt a church and a couple of rehab centers are raising the rents.

Morris Heights is selling land for 2 family homes on University and Tremont and on University and 175th. In addition to the new condo that's all for that (that I've seen).

I am sure you can name more in your neck of the woods than I can.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM

75 posts, read 92,834 times
I have noticed that everyone who is talking trash about the Bronx is doing so because they want to the rents to stay low; they want the crime to stay high so they can keep affording to live there. They don’t want gentrification in the Bronx because they will be the ones forced out by it. Well the secrets out! From my new South Bronx condo, I am 5 train stops away from my job in mid-town. I am from parkchester, and as a child when I visited the south Bronx, never did I think I would live here. But it has dramatically changed since childhood and I love being here.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,163,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts2003 View Post
I have noticed that everyone who is talking trash about the Bronx is doing so because they want to the rents to stay low; they want the crime to stay high so they can keep affording to live there. They don’t want gentrification in the Bronx because they will be the ones forced out by it. Well the secrets out! From my new South Bronx condo, I am 5 train stops away from my job in mid-town. I am from parkchester, and as a child when I visited the south Bronx, never did I think I would live here. But it has dramatically changed since childhood and I love being here.
Hey man it's SoBro now get it right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City