U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 AM

8,749 posts, read 16,687,840 times

Advertisements

Sure the usual suspects on this board are pounding the same old "crime is/will be skyrocketing b/c xyz"...and with all the hype in the news and media about the total destruction of NYC into a barren wasteland...the idea that crime "just has to go up" makes sense. But when you look at the stats for the first 3 months of this year versus the first thru months of last year...you see yet another plunge in crime (almost 14% decline). Murder alone was down a whopping 23% (80 in 2009 vs 104 in 2008)Why is this significant? Well beside the fact that crime continues to go down in NYC despite the nonstop naysaying and "it has to go down" nonsense, what makes it significant is that 2008 was the lowest crime rate ON RECORD (since they have been keeping records in the early 60s that is)..and we are currently almost 14% BELOW even that milestone. But it is also significant because it continues to decline DESPITE the rising unemployment rate, and the economic turmoil that we are suffering through in NYC. This is really great news...and it is important to remember as you watch the news..as their only purpose is to scare and sell papers...nothing more. But don't take my word for it..click the link, and look for yourself! http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM

5,680 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Sorry I don't buy crime stats. I really just disregard them now. I have a hard time believing them now. There were no homicides in the Bronx this past week, and only 3 in the entire city? A city of 8,000,000+. Are you kidding me?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM

I looked up my precinct (40th), which covers Mott Haven, Melrose, Port Morris and parts of Woodstock, and Murder is down 100% (0 in 2009 vs 3 in 2008), and overall crime is down 16% so far thru 2009, as compared to the same period in 2008. There are significant decreases in crime in the precinct...really impressive. Anyone else seeing the same decreases in their precincts?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM

SuperMario..I know that you enjoy disagreeing with things you don't believe, but you don't believe it b/c you are accustomed to the abnormally high crime rates of the last 20 years..which is NOT representative of NYC historically. You should be surprised by the high crime rates of the past 20 years..and not the more historically accurate crime rates of today. As for your comment about murders...population and number of murders have no correlation...you can have a low population and high murder rate, and vice versa. We are becoming LESS of a violent/murderous society across the board...and NYC is a shining example of that.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,891,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sure the usual suspects on this board are pounding the same old "crime is/will be skyrocketing b/c xyz"...and with all the hype in the news and media about the total destruction of NYC into a barren wasteland...the idea that crime "just has to go up" makes sense. But when you look at the stats for the first 3 months of this year versus the first thru months of last year...you see yet another plunge in crime (almost 14% decline). Murder alone was down a whopping 23% (80 in 2009 vs 104 in 2008)Why is this significant? Well beside the fact that crime continues to go down in NYC despite the nonstop naysaying and "it has to go down" nonsense, what makes it significant is that 2008 was the lowest crime rate ON RECORD (since they have been keeping records in the early 60s that is)..and we are currently almost 14% BELOW even that milestone. But it is also significant because it continues to decline DESPITE the rising unemployment rate, and the economic turmoil that we are suffering through in NYC. This is really great news...and it is important to remember as you watch the news..as their only purpose is to scare and sell papers...nothing more. But don't take my word for it..click the link, and look for yourself! http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

With all due respect to you, it seems that your exuberance, while well-intentioned, might be both premature and overblown.

It may be premature since we must make allowance for the time lag betweeen the present economic fiasco hitting us both nationally and locally and people's reactions. Individuals do not get pink slips and then rush out en masse to rob old ladies and banks. There comes a point when the unemployment checks run out, when the relatives ask you to leave as they can no longer carry you, when the bank tells you that your balance can't even accommodate a service charge for the bounced checks you've written, and the list goes on.

Also Moderator cut: remember that a temporary decline in crime stats that are high to begin with and that show a drop from severe to less severe is not the same as going from a bad situation to a great situation.

Best.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-24-2009 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Not necessary -- thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the comments..and I agree that it may be premature..as this is only the 1st quarter. Nonetheless..why not be happy that crime is STILL going down instead of up? Doesn't this fly in the face of all the doom and gloom we see on the news and in these threads? I think we need to see and recognize the POSITIVE that is occuring..and that the reality is it is not all doom and gloom, and crime still continues to decrease. Maybe it will go up later in the year..but as of now...we are continuing the declining trend..and I see that as something very positive in a sea of bad news. So what's wrong with that?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Mod cut: personal attackI understand alot of people only take comfort when things/life is horrible...and it can be annoying when reality does not follow that mindset. It's too bad that you can only see life in NYC as "hiding cell phones, ipod, wallet, being alert for drug pushers, etc"...why even live here if thats your reality?

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Here is another interesting article about crime through January and February of this year. Mod cut:copyright violationPeople have always said it...in good times and bad...thats just how many people are...no matter what they will always believe NYC is headed for disaster. Read the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/ny...rime.html?_r=1

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-24-2009 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM

423 posts, read 1,170,735 times
There was a shooting in my neighborhood this Friday night on 51st street and 4th avenue in my neighborhood of Sunset Park. The person that was shot died. How come it wasn't counted?

72nd precinct.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Andez..I have no idea..maybe the person actually did not die..I am confident that they police have more information about the case than any of us...if the person died due to a shooting, it would be counted. They are not (as far as I know!) in the business of hiding bodies....but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or