Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 23,674 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating in May with a teaching degree, and I'm considering moving to NYC. I spent a week there in August and fell in love with it, even though we were staying in East Harlem. My question is, how do teachers afford to live there? Does anyone know any teachers? Also, I thought I read that NYC was going to lay off a bunch of teachers. Is this true? Because if it is, my chances of getting a job are squashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
rachael, this one's all yours!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
If you work in one of the public school districts on LONG ISLAND you will be able to afford to live in NYC and the commute wouldn't be that bad either! Teachers on Long Island get paid $$$$ above all other teachers in the USA, maybe even the world.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Well, I survived NYC on a teacher's salary. I had a small-ish one bedroom apartment in waaaaaaaaay upper Manhattan (195th & Broadway), and taught in the South Bronx. While I wasn't stashing away scads of cash each month, I did manage to save a bit over the two years I was there.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekate View Post
I'm graduating in May with a teaching degree, and I'm considering moving to NYC. I spent a week there in August and fell in love with it, even though we were staying in East Harlem. My question is, how do teachers afford to live there? Does anyone know any teachers? Also, I thought I read that NYC was going to lay off a bunch of teachers. Is this true? Because if it is, my chances of getting a job are squashed.

I'm a teacher and I live here very, very comfortably. I live in Queens though where I get much more for my money than when I lived in Manhattan. I love Queens anyway, so no complaints. We make a decent salary, with good benefits, and if you're smart with your money, you can do fine.

It's not going to be easy to find a teaching job right now. Many people are being let go, and many places aren't hiring. What is your degree in? High school/middle school math and science will be easier to get a job. best of luck to you!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you work in one of the public school districts on LONG ISLAND you will be able to afford to live in NYC and the commute wouldn't be that bad either! Teachers on Long Island get paid $$$$ above all other teachers in the USA, maybe even the world.
But you can teach in NYC and live here and be fine, like I do and so many others do as well. LI is more money, but I love teaching here and have no desire to go to LI.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
But you can teach in NYC and live here and be fine, like I do and so many others do as well. LI is more money, but I love teaching here and have no desire to go to LI.
I second jax on this and the prior post.I manage quite well on my teachers salary and wouldn't think of leaving the NYC system though I know that with a masters and 10 years teaching I could get a lot more elsewhere.

Especially when starting you will need a roommate if you insist on living in Manhattan but you should be able to find a comfortable place for yourself in one of the boroughs.You will most likely start out teaching in The Bronx or Brooklyn anyway so it's not so bad to find a place closer to wherever you might work. I only have a 15 minute bus ride to my school.

There are many programs available to help city employees buy and/or rent if you need.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
If you stay away from the "prime" areas of the city and scoot into the boroughs you will do just fine. In fact the city has specific programs to help teachers live in NYC...do your homework: How to take advantage of our affordable housing program - United Federation of Teachers (http://www.uft.org/news/teacher/top/housing/ - broken link) and a new building specifically for teachers: NYC Teachers Union Backs Job-Specific Housing - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/nyc.teachers.housing.2.373991.html - broken link)

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I'm a 2nd year teacher....I really don't recommend trying to get a job here. Even with the money we might possibly get, things are still extremely tight here.

There have been nearly a thousand teachers who were excessed the last couple years. Their schools couldn't afford them anymore, so now they're subs but still on the same salary. They're called ATR's. Those are the ones first to get hired if a Principal is looking to fill vacancy.

And yes, many teachers I know live in the city. The majority that I know do. Mostly Manhattan and Brooklyn it seems. But then there are a handful coming from Westchester and Long Island. I'm actually moving to Long island since my fiance and I bought a house there.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,194 times
What you earn depends on your credentials. (Bachelors? Masters? Masters +?)
You can go to the NYC Department of Ed website to see a "salary chart".

Your ability to get a job will depend on what you teach, the demand for it and how well you interview (i.e., math? special ed? elementary? secondary?)
(Check out Craigslit, Simply Hire, Monster.com for teaching jobs).

LI does pay well, if you can get in, but it's by no means the be all-end all on all fronts. There's also NYC Department of Education and Charter Schools...(each of the 3 really have their advantages and disadvantages).

True, teachers have been excessed, in NYC Dept of Ed, but they're also being hired constantly.
Teachers retiire, they quit, they transfer, they're asked not to return to their assigned schools at year's end, plus new schools are constantly opening - 13 new public high schools I just read about in NYC, and several charters for September, and that's just high school.

Unfortunatey for older teachers, but fortunately for new ones, administration seems to most often prefer new teachers.

Just get to work and secure a teachign position before you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City