Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times

Advertisements

Mayor Bloomberg Outlines Plans to Strengthen NYC Economy

Quote:
He reiterated that the old strategies, such as borrowing capital to meet operating expenses and subsiding on crime-fighting and education spending, had not been successful in the past, and indicated that preserving parks, hospitals and the subway system are key in maintaining an acceptable quality of life in New York City. The Mayor also stated that keeping the biggest taxpayers in the City during this economic downturn will ease the burden on the rest of the residents.
So do you agree with his strategies? I am always a big believer that the Federal government should step up and deal with crime problems and education in the country overall, and let the cities deal with other quality of life issues. So I understand what Bloomberg is trying to do. Sacrifices have to be made during this economic distress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Mayor Bloomberg Outlines Plans to Strengthen NYC Economy
So do you agree with his strategies? I am always a big believer that the Federal government should step up and deal with crime problems and education in the country overall, and let the cities deal with other quality of life issues. So I understand what Bloomberg is trying to do. Sacrifices have to be made during this economic distress.
1) Lets not forget where the mayor comes from and what his economic background is.
2) That being said, I don't know what the right thing for NYC might be. Evidently, any chosen direction will hurt someone. I think that NYC is a complicated and difficult place to manage, especially in times of recession.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Lets not forget where the mayor comes from and what his economic background is.
2) That being said, I don't know what the right thing for NYC might be. Evidently, any chosen direction will hurt someone. I think that NYC is a complicated and difficult place to manage, especially in times of depressions.
I fixed that for you.

They need to diversify NYC's economy away from F.I.R.E. (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) industries. They need to build up some form of manufacturing base, invest heavily in their higher education, and embrace green technologies. Among other things, but that is a start.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 6,488 times
Angry Bloomberg fixing the economy

People who think bloomberg is fixing the economy, need to look at how he's doing it. Taking away good paying union jobs & putting them on unemployment is not fixing the economy. Bloomberg is a union buster, which of course is middle class people. Heaven helo if the midle class didn't get the shaft all the time. Bloomberg is out to make a 2 class system, a rich class & a poor class.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I fixed that for you.

They need to diversify NYC's economy away from F.I.R.E. (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) industries. They need to build up some form of manufacturing base, invest heavily in their higher education, and embrace green technologies. Among other things, but that is a start.
/\ This + Lower taxes, Lower Taxes, Lower Taxes.

Although, I'd forget about manufacturing. Everyone says it but let's face it, automation will eventually kill it off as a source of employment even if outsourcing were to be brought under control.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,282 times
Quote:
I fixed that for you.

I concurr, the past decade have been devoted heavily to F.I.R.E, I can see him embracing green technologies but beyond that I don't see him doing much else new.

@ Shizzles, I agree with regards to taxes, specifically commercial property tax which choke smaller businesses. But I do think manufacturing is important, atleast retaining the ones we still have. We lost 42% in the last few years higher than the national average, and most of them left reluctantly not because business was bad, a very large portion of that was due to zoning.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 PM

810 posts, read 836,906 times
Those plans are nothing more than mandates to comfort and insulate Wall Streeters and maintain NYC as a tourist spot, everyone else can go screw. That outline can't be any more blatant.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
/\ This + Lower taxes, Lower Taxes, Lower Taxes.

Although, I'd forget about manufacturing. Everyone says it but let's face it, automation will eventually kill it off as a source of employment even if outsourcing were to be brought under control.
1) Low taxes are not the magic bullet many want to believe. If the economic climate is unfavorable, nobody will invest or do business even at 0% tax rate.
2) Automation will eventually kill manufacturing and everything else including many services. The question remains what will people who need to feed their families do? At the end of the day, everything we can make in the US, can be made elsewhere or by someone else for less. What saves many jobs are just regulations, and "protectionism". Why not flood the US with a million policemen from India or CPAs from China? And what about 10000 dentists from Malaysia?
Medical tests? A robot with good programming is cheaper... But where does all that leave us?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Quote:
I fixed that for you.

Some of these things run counter to one another. Investment in higher education and investment in manufacturing are directly counter.

Plus, property prices and cost of living (and thus wages) in NYC will always be too expensive to support manufacturing and compete with, say, small town Indiana, let alone China; it's just not worth it.

"Embrace green technologies"--what does this even mean? The city invests a lot in encouraging the use of green technology. But cities are not the place for manufacturing of green tech, for the same reason cities cannot really support any type of manufacturing any more (at least, successful cities like NYC; failed cities like Cleveland with much lower costs can).

Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Low taxes are not the magic bullet many want to believe. If the economic climate is unfavorable, nobody will invest or do business even at 0% tax rate.
/\ Never said they were, but they damn sure are better than ridiculously high taxes + bad economic climate. NYC is an awesome vector of people, ideas and energy, and making it a cheaper place to do buisness would set things off much more (and lift more out of poverty as well)

Quote:
2) Automation will eventually kill manufacturing and everything else including many services. The question remains what will people who need to feed their families do? At the end of the day, everything we can make in the US, can be made elsewhere or by someone else for less. What saves many jobs are just regulations, and "protectionism". Why not flood the US with a million policemen from India or CPAs from China? And what about 10000 dentists from Malaysia?
Medical tests? A robot with good programming is cheaper... But where does all that leave us?
This is something that is more the topic of a philsophical conversation. What I'll say is that while on the face of it you make good points, the fact is the people at the top either don't see it or don't care. The trends are what they are and NY is better served not anchoring itself to a sinking ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City