Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:14 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

This question persists for me?

I've always considered myself on the generous side. In all the posts I've contributed here, I don't believe or remember ever getting a rep point except from a member who lives in the DC area and commented on my many posts.

I brought this up in the "About this Forum" once and immediately got a few thanks and rep points--all from folks below the Mason Dixon line!

If anyone on this forum goes to the Southern State forums, you'll see some members with 1000 rep points. Did they say something more homey than we say up North? Are Southerners more generous; more thoughtful?

Have you given a rep point? Have you used the system's negative comment section?
Or have you received rep points here in the NYC forum?

Just wondering what ya'll think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,453 times
I'm new to this, but I think the whole rep points thing is kind of stupid. I judge a poster on what they say, not how many rep points they have.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM

I judge a poster by their post, too - but that reputation system is built into this site. Therefore, my question--unanswered by New York City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
I'm new to this, but I think the whole rep points thing is kind of stupid. I judge a poster on what they say, not how many rep points they have.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM

By the way, thank you to whoever gave me a rep point today.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:41 PM

I believe it may have been me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
By the way, thank you to whoever gave me a rep point today.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM

That was very nice of you.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,645 times
ontheroad,

Your question is SO pertinent and needed. Thank you for bringing it up.

I've questioned this myself before. I've seen folks from the Midwest or South showing hundreds of reputation points. People who, in a single month, have gathered 250 points. Not at a lot of Northerners have that much, it's true.

But reading the posts of this reputation-winners, I've realized their writings are not too helpful, original or contributing to the community. Many of them are just part of idle housewive-style chat. And most of them post elsewhere, not in the city forums.

I noticed that posting about abortion, politics, cats, family or religion will get you many more reputation points than giving the classic city advice the forum was created for.

And this is first because people are partisan and they'll shower you with good points if you say what they like and second because people who post on those "other topics" forums have formed tight groups of so-called "friends". They give points to each other and hiss at the outsiders.

I use the reputation system, even though I think it is flawed and unnecessary. I've given you as many good points as I've been allowed to.

I've also noticed people who will tell me in a post, "you are right". But they won't give me reputation. I've also seen lots of people who will read my advice and take it but won't even say "thanks".

And again, I see many members who undeservedly and unthinkably have an enormous amount of positive reputation, seemingly gained in inane talks about the weather and their children's first tooth.

It's all very strange, and I don't think it is about Northern cold and Southern hospitality. If anything, it depends on the type of forum and the social circles that have formed here.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Manhattan-ite,

Excellent post. I generally give rep, but often forget to do so with a message. Just gave you some and remembered!

You are undoubtedly right about what you've said. In the NYC forum few people even come back and respond to answers so rep points are useless. Actually, I once asked the Administrator why they had these at all.

Anyway, I had been thinking of this on and off and today I felt the urge to ask the question. I appreciate your thoughtful response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: