Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika2308 View Post
I have a new born and its 65 degrees in the apartment to me I'm cold imagine a new born only 2 weeks old. I touch the heaters and they are cold do I have the right to tell him to put the heater on and am I allow to get a electric heater for the room then I feel for the rent that I pay for this apartment is not right to have 65 degree with a new born in the house and I bundled her up pretty good and I touch her nose and its cold
Get a heater. Those oil based heaters that shut off automatically when tipped are great. Use hardly any electricity.

I live in a house and I dont know anyone who keeps heat above 65 at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 06:32 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
[quote=DelightfulNYC;42353930]Get a heater. Those oil based heaters that shut off automatically when tipped are great. Use hardly any electricity.

I live in a house and I dont know anyone who keeps heat above 65 at night.[/quote]

then you obviously dont know my parents.
My parents keep their thermostat set on 74 degrees all year long forever.

I never in my life even knew anyone that keeps heat set at 65 at night.
if my apartment had 65 degrees, id be calling the LL for more heat.

65 degrees for for animals in a barn, not humans.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
[quote=nightcrawler;42353956]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Get a heater. Those oil based heaters that shut off automatically when tipped are great. Use hardly any electricity.

I live in a house and I dont know anyone who keeps heat above 65 at night.[/quote]

then you obviously dont know my parents.
My parents keep their thermostat set on 74 degrees all year long forever.

I never in my life even knew anyone that keeps heat set at 65 at night.
if my apartment had 65 degrees, id be calling the LL for more heat.

65 degrees for for animals in a barn, not humans.
Where do you live? When I lived in a two family my landlord kept heat at 50 degrees year round. My house when oil is high in price I keep it at 60 degrees at night.

If you want to walk around naked 74 degrees might work. When I had a coop with an old furnace my apt was over heated. Only good part I was single and girls got naked really quick. Old Jewish folk on board were cheap in many things but not in heat. OMG an oven. I had no winter blankets. And my windows were open all winter. Sometimes all six were wide open. Once when it was like ten degrees out you could see steam coming out of apt, and I had all the radiators shut off. The laundry room was funny and deli next door thought we were crazy. Younger Folks in my building would wear shorts, tanktops and flip flops in January, the delli next door even in a snow storm would have folks from my building run in and folks would look. Why bother getting dressed.

When my wife moved in our first year of marriage she used to sometimes stand outside building in winter for a few minutes the first few months as she had trouble breathing and was overheating in the building. And you had to take out garbage 7 days a week. Food in garbage would stink immediately due to heat. Some times we go to garbage chute after every meal if building was particularly hot.

My future wife when I was dating her was suprised I hardly had any laundry. Well you come home from work in a snow storm and would sit on coach in boxers and a tshirt, too hot to put on clothes.

At 64 I can wear Jeans and a long sleeve shirt or a sweater indoors and feel really warm.

A lot of old folks like to set heat really high as I guess they are getting used to the heat in the afterlife.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:18 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Heat law for NYC....

During heat season, residential owners with tenants are required by law to maintain an indoor temperature of at least 68 degrees fahrenheit between 6:00 A.M. and 10:00 P.M. when the outdoor temperature falls below 55 degrees. Between 10:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M., building owners must maintain an indoor temperature of 55 degrees.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Sleep temps should be anywhere between 68-72 degrees depending on the person. Maybe just a little higher for other people ( me 74).

The NYC Heat Law is CRUEL. Considering apartment dwellers cannot use propane heaters which give off way more heat than your store bought electrical heater...even crueler. I challenge you to find a decent space heater online or in stores these days...ALL JUNK. My hairdryer produces more heat.

I live in a house now and can set the thermostat to ***74***. It is a life changer for me.

I used to pay close to $5,000 per month in midtown to freeze my ass off.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:08 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Sleep temps should be anywhere between 68-72 degrees depending on the person. Maybe just a little higher for other people ( me 74).

The NYC Heat Law is CRUEL. Considering apartment dwellers cannot use propane heaters which give off way more heat than your store bought electrical heater...even crueler. I challenge you to find a decent space heater online or in stores these days...ALL JUNK. My hairdryer produces more heat.

I live in a house now and can set the thermostat to ***74***. It is a life changer for me.

Considering how many buildings in NYC have gone *KaBOOM* in recent memory do you *REALLY* want persons storing canisters of propane in their apartments?

Bad enough we have idiots taking out entire buildings by pouring gasoline down stairwells, tapping gas lines and so forth, we do not need yet another flammable/explosive addition to the mix.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

So called "low" temperatures mandated by NYC code are probably meant to strike a balance in that the City basically requires LLs to provide heat for most of the year. Seven months out of twelve is a long time to mandate heat especially considering high cost of various fuels (coal, oil, now natural gas). Yes, today things are cheap but that wasn't always true.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
It is OBNOXIOUSLY overheated in most places indoors in NYC which is like the number 3 reason on my top 100 list of all things I hate about this dumphole. Even when it's warm out like today and for the last TWO months you still have places blasting heat. I nearly passed out of heat exhaustion in the bank the other day. And I have not even worm a winter coat this year yet! I rarely ever do any considering how hot it is indoors, especially offices. I have to literally have a fan on me at all times in the winter. And no, i'm not menopausal, it's just disgustingly gross in the winter (and most of the fall and the first half of april!) I LOVE it when it's 100 degrees outside and freezing indoors, not freezing outside and 100 degrees indoors. Maybe I have a messed up amygdala or hypothalmus or something, but it is gross.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:05 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
Plus, I am totally slothy when it's gross and hot and humid indoors. Why don't people understand that humans work best and are at their most productive when it is slightly chilly.. not FREEZING, but a slight chill is GOOD for the soul and GOOD for productivity! I can't get any filing done in the winter because it's too hot lol (i know)

Old 12-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
It is OBNOXIOUSLY overheated in most places indoors in NYC which is like the number 3 reason on my top 100 list of all things I hate about this dumphole. Even when it's warm out like today and for the last TWO months you still have places blasting heat. I nearly passed out of heat exhaustion in the bank the other day. And I have not even worm a winter coat this year yet! I rarely ever do any considering how hot it is indoors, especially offices. I have to literally have a fan on me at all times in the winter. And no, i'm not menopausal, it's just disgustingly gross in the winter (and most of the fall and the first half of april!) I LOVE it when it's 100 degrees outside and freezing indoors, not freezing outside and 100 degrees indoors. Maybe I have a messed up amygdala or hypothalmus or something, but it is gross.

You are just a little hot house orchid aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City