Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 96,102 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know that bet. 10pm and 6 am if the temp outside is 40 degrees or below landlords are required to maintain a temp of 55 degrees...but does this mean that they can not turn the heat on at all!! I live in a 4 family building and right now it is 46 degrees outside and the heat is not on at all. Is this legal?? I mean i have a 6 year old whose been coughing, tossing and turning all night.its really freegin cold. For the amount i pay a month... She also mentiond that we should not get an electric heater to avoid the risk of blowing a fuse.. I think its ridiculous to have to run out and buy one at the end of march and then have to shell out another $100 a month on the eletricity bill. Can someone please help clarify the law?? Also is there any law that states where a thermostat should be placed? I spoke to a rep at 311 and made a very interesting point.. That where the thermostat is place is the difference between temperatures. I always assumed that the thermostat was outside. My landlady says the heat is controlled by the temp but i dont think that is true.. I think its either manually controlled by her mother who lives downstairs or on a timer. Also...do i have a legal right to see where the thermostat is? Or better yet how much the heating oil bill is?

Last edited by Ldegro; 03-26-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
The landlord does not have to turn on the heat just because you are cold. She is following the heat law and does not have to accomodate you. Sorry, I know you wanted a different answer--the law is the law. Buy yourself a heater that shuts off automatically if tipped over.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldegro View Post
Hi,
I know that bet. 10pm and 6 am if the temp outside is 40 degrees or below landlords are required to maintain a temp of 55 degrees...but does this mean that they can not turn the heat on at all!! I live in a 4 family building and right now it is 46 degrees outside and the heat is not on at all. Is this legal?? I mean i have a 6 year old whose been coughing, tossing and turning all night.its really freegin cold. For the amount i pay a month... She also mentiond that we should not get an electric heater to avoid the risk of blowing a fuse.. I think its ridiculous to have to run out and buy one at the end of march and then have to shell out another $100 a month on the eletricity bill. Can someone please help clarify the law?? Also is there any law that states where a thermostat should be placed? I spoke to a rep at 311 and made a very interesting point.. That where the thermostat is place is the difference between temperatures. I always assumed that the thermostat was outside. My landlady says the heat is controlled by the temp but i dont think that is true.. I think its either manually controlled by her mother who lives downstairs or on a timer. Also...do i have a legal right to see where the thermostat is? Or better yet how much the heating oil bill is?
As long as the temp. is at or above 55 degrees the he is withing the law.
Also if he is paying for heating and you are not, you don't have the right to see or control the thermostat.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 175,046 times
HI, I just want to know that what are the months are required by law to turn on and off the house heat legally in New York City

Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
There are no specified months. The need for heat is determined by the external temperature.

Look at this site: http://newyork.realestaterama.com/20...at-ID0432.html

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-28-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 175,046 times
Thank you so much for your reply. Currently i am renting my 2 family house out. The tenants are responsible for the cooking gas, the heat and hot water are under my cover. The problem arises that i only have 2 gas meters for entire house. One is for 1st floor cooking gas and the other is under my name for all heating and hot water. How can i split up the bill with the 2nd floor tenant's cooking gas if i can't afford to install additional gas meter?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Since you don't live in a bldg. with at least 6 units you are not covered by the rent stablization laws. For rent stablized apts. there are specific months when the landlord must give you heat if the temp. falls below a certain min.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 87,348 times
Default New York City Heat Law

To the poster who said the landlord does not have to turn the heat on. You are wrong. I have consulted with both an attorney and a tenants rights organization on this. Both have said that even though 55 degrees is a guide line it does not mean the boiler can be shut off. Both have said this has been a major problem in the past year. I do not know if you are a landlord. But this is illegal.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldegro View Post
Hi,
Do what Jimmy Carter said to do when he was President, "Put a sweater on"...................

Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There are no specified months. The need for heat is determined by the external temperature.

Look at this site: 2008/2009 “HEAT SEASON” BEGINS: HPD ENFORCES LAWS REQUIRING BUILDING OWNERS TO PROVIDE HEAT | RealEstateRama New York
Not quite. If it's less than 55 degrees out from June 1-September 30, the landlord has no obligation to provide heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City